Social anxiety and depression first GP visit

Watch
whynotthough
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So i've recently made an appointment to go to my first GP visit in a solid 10 years or so, i've been struggling with Social anxiety, depression and bouts of Insomnia and some of the symptoms from ASD since i was 14 (i'm now 24) but i've always been the type of person to be extremely reluctant to seek help, i've talked some of the problem areas of my life over with friends but going into detail about my past with a complete stranger makes me feel even more anxious so i've always just avoided seeking help from medical professionals under the facade of 'i can do it myself', I've told myself on several occasions that exposure is the only way i'll ever fix my problems and there's a good chance they are interlinked with each other, but obviously that hasn't worked. I decided a few months ago to throw myself in at the deep end and apply to University, i was excited when i was accepted because it felt like a new chapter in my life, the potential for change. As it looms closer, i'm getting increasingly anxious, especially since looking at the modules and seeing the presentations they require me to do.

I contacted the student disability team and they told me to get medical proof of my condition, hence the booking of a GP visit regardless of how reluctant i am to attend, i've asked my mother to force me to go because i'm flakey as hell on appointments, they seem fine when they're a week away but as they get closer i start to panic to the point that i talk myself out of attending.

The problem is, University starts in a month and I've never been medically confirmed of anything, I've left the house less than 50 times in the past 7 years outside of part time work in a family run business (because it's not like i could work anywhere else), i'd consider my condition to be pretty severe in that regard but it'll take months if not years to get a formal diagnosis of my condition, that's months if not years that i can't wait as it will inevitably negatively effect my grades if they expect me to do things like public speaking as i honestly just won't turn up, i tried public speaking in College 7-8 years ago and it was embarrassing as all hell, i stuttered and slurred while dripping in sweat to which the tutor allowed me a second chance one on one, which was still a horrible experience but far better than doing it in front of the entire class. My condition has not improved since then, if anything it's got even worse because at least back then i turned up to college for a few days a week.

So i'm unsure as to how to deal with this, will the GP be able to write that letter out on the first meeting in the event he sees how bad my condition is or will i have to wait until i'm formally diagnosed in months/years? The student disability team sent me the guidelines for the GP and right at the top it says 'state diagnosis' which is the part that's got me worried as i feel the GP will not be able to write that letter since i'll have had no formal medical assessment as of yet.
NoEaze
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by whynotthough)
So i've recently made an appointment to go to my first GP visit in a solid 10 years or so, i've been struggling with Social anxiety, depression and bouts of Insomnia and some of the symptoms from ASD since i was 14 (i'm now 24) but i've always been the type of person to be extremely reluctant to seek help, i've talked some of the problem areas of my life over with friends but going into detail about my past with a complete stranger makes me feel even more anxious so i've always just avoided seeking help from medical professionals under the facade of 'i can do it myself', I've told myself on several occasions that exposure is the only way i'll ever fix my problems and there's a good chance they are interlinked with each other, but obviously that hasn't worked. I decided a few months ago to throw myself in at the deep end and apply to University, i was excited when i was accepted because it felt like a new chapter in my life, the potential for change. As it looms closer, i'm getting increasingly anxious, especially since looking at the modules and seeing the presentations they require me to do.

I contacted the student disability team and they told me to get medical proof of my condition, hence the booking of a GP visit regardless of how reluctant i am to attend, i've asked my mother to force me to go because i'm flakey as hell on appointments, they seem fine when they're a week away but as they get closer i start to panic to the point that i talk myself out of attending.

The problem is, University starts in a month and I've never been medically confirmed of anything, I've left the house less than 50 times in the past 7 years outside of part time work in a family run business (because it's not like i could work anywhere else), i'd consider my condition to be pretty severe in that regard but it'll take months if not years to get a formal diagnosis of my condition, that's months if not years that i can't wait as it will inevitably negatively effect my grades if they expect me to do things like public speaking as i honestly just won't turn up, i tried public speaking in College 7-8 years ago and it was embarrassing as all hell, i stuttered and slurred while dripping in sweat to which the tutor allowed me a second chance one on one, which was still a horrible experience but far better than doing it in front of the entire class. My condition has not improved since then, if anything it's got even worse because at least back then i turned up to college for a few days a week.

So i'm unsure as to how to deal with this, will the GP be able to write that letter out on the first meeting in the event he sees how bad my condition is or will i have to wait until i'm formally diagnosed in months/years? The student disability team sent me the guidelines for the GP and right at the top it says 'state diagnosis' which is the part that's got me worried as i feel the GP will not be able to write that letter since i'll have had no formal medical assessment as of yet.

In university nobody is going to force you to do anything, if you have issues in class then talk to the lecturer. If you have trouble with basic communication and being in social situation then you need to take a gap year and work on yourself with medical help.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I'm the same age as you and have had depression for just as long. I went to my GP for the first time this year regarding anxiety and depression. I told him, extremely briefly (as I hated the thought of my taking up so much time for something that couldn't really be proved), what was wrong. He then printed a form out which I had to go away and fill in. It was just a case of circling the answers. The next day I handed it to him and he prescribed me medication. "Exposure" never worked for me. I've been in customer-focused roles since 17/18 and it barely made a dent in my anxiety. I've also been to Uni, done the presentations, and I'm still an anxious mess. I only excelled in presentations because the anxiety of failure just about surpassed my anxiety of standing in the spotlight. To this day still, "getting out of your comfort zone will help anxiety" never rang true for me. I mean, I have anxiety...I'm never in my comfort zone to get out of it! Coupled with depression, it's downright debilitating. You'll just have to find strategies to manage the condition at Uni. For instance, a day or an hour before the presentation, psyche yourself up. Read about it, practise your words, meditate, remind yourself it's just an act, anything that you feel will prepare you for what's to come. And you know what's to come, you know what's expected of you, so the anxiety will be contained and not as rampant - as I find it to be in spontaneous interactions. I'm not sure how quickly you'll get a letter from the GP, but I assume it would be more than a month .
TeddyBear86
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does depression have to be problems in your every day life? I just see logintneiyjn
TeddyBear86
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Living with a mental health in the same as long term physical illnesss with load of symptoms it makes more sense.

I think it’s more to with symptoms affecting your every day life
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
i don't think you'll have a problem. when i saw my GP she didn't have to 'formally diagnose' me to write me a doctor's note saying i have long-term anxiety. indeed i think i spoke to her for all of 10 minutes about my problem and why i needed the note.
icygrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey it’s best to just go to the appointment. Your doctor will write a letter to the uni as proof of your mental health. it’ll be OK ❤️
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NoEaze)
Can you not just suck it up and go. It's a doctors appointment not a job interview.
Literally everyone is depressed and in university so many people develop social anxiety, you just have to grow up.
In university nobody is going to force you to do anything, if you have issues in class then talk to the lecturer. If you have trouble with basic communication and being in social situation then you need to take a gap year and work on yourself with medical help.
I don’t think this is the best advice, as someone struggling with social anxiety it is overwhelming, it isn’t something “everyone deals with”, it literally you from building meaningful relationships, imagine overthinking every sentence you say a thousand times before you say it, imagine having panic attacks when you go into a public space because ppl seem to be looking at you. Social anxiety isn’t oh I feel a bit anti social today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads