The Student Room Group

Cambridge Natural Sciences 2019 Application

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, for the NSAA section 2 are you choosing two questions from the same subject (your strongest?) or picking one from each subject you take i.e if you take chemistry and biology alevel and you're confident in each you choose one chemistry question and one biology question. Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Sinnoh
Hi, I'm applying for physical at Fitzwilliam. Taking maths + further maths, physics, history and French AS (I am semi kind of fluent but not really). Predicted 4A* in the A-levels and A in French.

@Ads007 Just remember you're not meant to finish. If you had unlimited time you'd get 100%.

ooo could you pm them to me, please? applying for engineering this year (at Fitzwilliam too so I might see you at some point) and am really running out of things to do
Hey, anyone know what % score is good for section 2 of the nsaa?
Reply 23
Original post by christie.patel

It will depend on everyone else's results. Being above the 50th percentile will help
Reply 24
Original post by hbarai
Applying to Corpus Christi for Phys NatSci. Anyone know roughly what to aim for in section 1? I keep doing really badly under timed conditions :frown:

Aim for at least 50%. You're not meant to get like 80%

Please also remember that this test is one element out of several which go to make up a successful application. You could quite feasible do excellently in the test but still not be in the running for a place because other aspects of your application weren't up to scratch. It's also fair to say that you can spend much too much time prepping for these tests and neglect preparing properly for your interview.

Put it this way, I'm glad that my NatSci place involved two five-ten minute interviews at college, followed by lunch. All these tests and fretting/obsessing about them: I'm not sure I'd have bothered!
Reply 26
Hi everyone. Is there any advantage in doing the advanced math/phys part of the NSAA? I find all the other parts fairly straightforward so I don't know if I should do part E or just maximise my score in the others.
Reply 27
Original post by Sinnoh
Hi, I'm applying for physical at Fitzwilliam. Taking maths + further maths, physics, history and French AS (I am semi kind of fluent but not really). Predicted 4A* in the A-levels and A in French.

@Ads007 Just remember you're not meant to finish. If you had unlimited time you'd get 100%.

Thanks a lot for the reply, and if you could send them over that would be brilliant!
Reply 28
Original post by amorx
Hi everyone. Is there any advantage in doing the advanced math/phys part of the NSAA? I find all the other parts fairly straightforward so I don't know if I should do part E or just maximise my score in the others.

I think that part is only for people who have to take it because they're not doing chem or bio
Reply 29
Original post by Sinnoh
I think that part is only for people who have to take it because they're not doing chem or bio

Hmm I thought it might be something like that, but I can't find anything that says so.
Original post by amorx
Hmm I thought it might be something like that, but I can't find anything that says so.

I did it last year as the chemistry section I found had a lot of stuff I didn't know about (electrolysis and other stuff I hadn't done since GCSE) and also the advanced physics and maths I feel like isn't really that difficult it's just a little higher level AS content
Reply 31
Original post by isiaiah d
I did it last year as the chemistry section I found had a lot of stuff I didn't know about (electrolysis and other stuff I hadn't done since GCSE) and also the advanced physics and maths I feel like isn't really that difficult it's just a little higher level AS content

Yeah I might do the same if I find chem too weird, although most of seems to be in line with what I've done in IB. But yeah the advanced looks alright too.
hey, if you take biology and chemistry would you recommend doing 2 biology or 2 chemistry questions for the NSAA section 2 or doing one of each?
Well, i’ll be doping two chemistry questions because I find them more fun to do, it would mean less content and I can’t get the biology essay right.
Hey everyone, I'm applying for Physical Nat Sci at Magdalene and physics at other unis. Im doing maths, physics, chemistry and further maths and I'm predicted 4A*s. The test does seem quite tight for time but it'll be like that for everyone so I'm not too worried about it. Tbh I just want the test to be over and done with. I have an interview at imperial next monday. Is anyone else applying there?
Reply 35
hey, if you take biology and chemistry would you recommend doing 2 biology or 2 chemistry questions for the NSAA section 2 or doing one of each?

Just answer the ones you can answer best. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, New to posting in forums so I hope I'm doing this in the right place...Prepping for NSAA, I have this revision guide 'The Ultimate NSAA Guide' its saying I need to know simple harmonic motion equations for advanced maths and physics... I can't see this on the spec that Cambridge released.Will I need to cover this topic? (also, am I wasting my time with this book?... some of the questions seem unrealistic)thanks
Reply 37
Original post by Woolly_Owl
Hi, New to posting in forums so I hope I'm doing this in the right place...Prepping for NSAA, I have this revision guide 'The Ultimate NSAA Guide' its saying I need to know simple harmonic motion equations for advanced maths and physics... I can't see this on the spec that Cambridge released.Will I need to cover this topic? (also, am I wasting my time with this book?... some of the questions seem unrealistic)thanks

Trust the specification. UniAdmissions ,who made that guide, are not affiliated with whoever writes the exams.
The maths questions from that guide seem alright, but don't rely on it too much
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
Trust the specification,
The maths questions from that guide seem alright, but don't rely on it too much

Thanks for the quick reply. Think I'm gonna try a few different resources. Heard Isaac Physics is really good for section 2.
Original post by feels bad man
Hey everyone, I'm applying for Physical Nat Sci at Magdalene and physics at other unis. Im doing maths, physics, chemistry and further maths and I'm predicted 4A*s. The test does seem quite tight for time but it'll be like that for everyone so I'm not too worried about it. Tbh I just want the test to be over and done with. I have an interview at imperial next monday. Is anyone else applying there?

hey i have an interview on monday too! is yours for physics as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending