Cambridge Natural Sciences 2019 Application Watch

Gabzinc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PurpleApples)
To be honest if I somehow managed to get in I wouldn’t care 😂 I feel like if they let students know their scores, they would compare themselves based on it from day one at Cambridge, which might discourage some people.

I did bio, chem, math (in that order) and also found that the math section was harder than other years, especially if you were a bio natsci. Maybe for people taking physics and advanced M&P it didn’t seem as hard.

For section 2 I thought the bio short answers were much easier/straightforward than previous years, but that probably depends on the person. I personally didn’t like all the microscope stuff in the past papers. The essay questions were simple but I messed them up, so can’t say much about those.

Hope it went well for everyone else, and that we all make it to interview 😊
Seconding the idea that the maths section was really hard. I found the past papers so much easier to do even in the time limit. I think by the time I got to Q6 20 minutes had already gone, and I couldn't the one with the cups (misread it) . However the chemistry and biology sections were fine (had to guess like the last 5 of each cause I was out of time!)
Last edited by Gabzinc; 2 months ago
TAgusto
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah the maths was by far the hardest. I did bio chem and maths. Which colleges are you guys applying to? I’m applying to Pembroke btw.
PurpleApples
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m applying to King’s for bio natsci!

If everyone thought the math was hard then the curve should be easier this year (lower raw score can still be a decent scaled score), so we still have hope 😭

I think some people actually found bio section 2 quite difficult especially the microbiology types who preferred the past papers (based on my friend’s comments), it rlly depends on your skills and interests. I feel like you either loved it or hated it 😂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
graecusthegreek
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TAgusto)
Yeah the maths was by far the hardest. I did bio chem and maths. Which colleges are you guys applying to? I’m applying to Pembroke btw.
Corpus Christi
harryshae1301
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Downing 😀
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Are you also applying for natural sciences at other unis? Or a different course entirely?
Burnbad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
St. John's
christie.2501
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
Are you also applying for natural sciences at other unis? Or a different course entirely?
natsci at other unis: Durham, bath, Southampton, Loughborough
Kalo7854
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Gabzinc)
Seconding the idea that the maths section was really hard. I found the past papers so much easier to do even in the time limit. I think by the time I got to Q6 20 minutes had already gone, and I couldn't the one with the cups (misread it) . However the chemistry and biology sections were fine (had to guess like the last 5 of each cause I was out of time!)
Same!! I wasted so much time on the maths section (cuz I’m a stubborn idiot 😂) so I ended up doing the chem and Physics sections in about 25 mins combined! 😂
nyxnko_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
just a quick question about interviews: does anyone know whether the questions will be like 'discuss.....' or will they just give us a problem and make us work through that?
Burnbad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nyxnko_)
just a quick question about interviews: does anyone know whether the questions will be like 'discuss.....' or will they just give us a problem and make us work through that?
Probably work through then discuss.
nyxnko_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Burnbad)
Probably work through then discuss.
As in the problem?
What I meant by 'discuss' questions were open-ended questions where you use some common sense and then back it up with science or something.
Janeiswho
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My son applied nature science of Trinity. As a US junior applicant, we almost knew nothing about the UK process. We just followed the direction in Cambridge website and have no idea how is everything going and will go. My son has 7 APs and 6 of them is related to math, physics. His ACT compistion is 35. He is a junior now, so we applied for 2020 entry( with one gap year to finish his US high shool and be 18 year old when enter ). He sat NSAA last week and did Section A/B/E, he said he did everything good with at most 3 wrong total. But Setion 2 only has 2 problems, and he did not answer the last question for the seond problem. I do really hope he can get an offer this year, but I worried about his setion 2. Even he got everything correct, because of the last question, I thinkg he maybe only can get 75%? I don't know how many questions in each problem and what is eah question's weight for the whole section.there is no news for the interview yet. We signed up to Toronto interview and really worried if he can got a slot for the interview. I am more upset than my son. It seems that he doesn't care at all. (
Charlie133
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Janeiswho)
My son applied nature science of Trinity. As a US junior applicant, we almost knew nothing about the UK process. We just followed the direction in Cambridge website and have no idea how is everything going and will go. My son has 7 APs and 6 of them is related to math, physics. His ACT compistion is 35. He is a junior now, so we applied for 2020 entry( with one gap year to finish his US high shool and be 18 year old when enter ). He sat NSAA last week and did Section A/B/E, he said he did everything good with at most 3 wrong total. But Setion 2 only has 2 problems, and he did not answer the last question for the seond problem. I do really hope he can get an offer this year, but I worried about his setion 2. Even he got everything correct, because of the last question, I thinkg he maybe only can get 75%? I don't know how many questions in each problem and what is eah question's weight for the whole section.there is no news for the interview yet. We signed up to Toronto interview and really worried if he can got a slot for the interview. I am more upset than my son. It seems that he doesn't care at all. (
The admissions assessment is really not something to worry about so much! If he’s a good candidate in other ways (and it sounds like he is) then he’s likely to be given an interview. 75% is a really good score for the NSAA anyway so I think you should be celebrating more than worrying
Janeiswho
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Just send an email to the adimission dept of Trinity and replied that we will get news from overseas interview team IN NEXT FEW DAYS. Cross my fingers~~
CompSciCat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Science99999)
Natural Sciences- An alternative route to medicine. Tbf, if I applied for Natural Sciences at Cambridge, I wouldn't have a problem for the admissions examinations; considering I do all 4 Sciences, in addition to have done various super curricular projects.
Dude, get of your high horse
Burnbad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Apparently someone doing natsci had recieved an invitation yesterday from St cats.
HelloXXX
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Burnbad)
Apparently someone doing natsci had recieved an invitation yesterday from St cats.
St cats is the usually the first college to send out invites so if you didn't apply there you shouldn't be worried.
What college did you apply to ?
christie.2501
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by HelloXXX)
St cats is the usually the first college to send out invites so if you didn't apply there you shouldn't be worried.
What college did you apply to ?
do you know how quickly jesus reply?
christie.2501
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CompSciCat)
Dude, get of your high horse
I know- it doesn't matter if you take all the sciences, it matters how good you are at them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
20.06%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (132)