The Student Room Group

Cambridge Natural Sciences 2019 Application

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PurpleApples
To be honest if I somehow managed to get in I wouldn’t care 😂 I feel like if they let students know their scores, they would compare themselves based on it from day one at Cambridge, which might discourage some people.

I did bio, chem, math (in that order) and also found that the math section was harder than other years, especially if you were a bio natsci. Maybe for people taking physics and advanced M&P it didn’t seem as hard.

For section 2 I thought the bio short answers were much easier/straightforward than previous years, but that probably depends on the person. I personally didn’t like all the microscope stuff in the past papers. The essay questions were simple but I messed them up, so can’t say much about those.

Hope it went well for everyone else, and that we all make it to interview 😊

Seconding the idea that the maths section was really hard. I found the past papers so much easier to do even in the time limit. I think by the time I got to Q6 20 minutes had already gone, and I couldn't the one with the cups (misread it) :colonhash:. However the chemistry and biology sections were fine (had to guess like the last 5 of each cause I was out of time!)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 81
Yeah the maths was by far the hardest. I did bio chem and maths. Which colleges are you guys applying to? I’m applying to Pembroke btw.
I’m applying to King’s for bio natsci!

If everyone thought the math was hard then the curve should be easier this year (lower raw score can still be a decent scaled score), so we still have hope 😭

I think some people actually found bio section 2 quite difficult especially the microbiology types who preferred the past papers (based on my friend’s comments), it rlly depends on your skills and interests. I feel like you either loved it or hated it 😂
Original post by TAgusto
Yeah the maths was by far the hardest. I did bio chem and maths. Which colleges are you guys applying to? I’m applying to Pembroke btw.

Corpus Christi :smile:
Original post by TAgusto

Downing 😀
Are you also applying for natural sciences at other unis? Or a different course entirely?
Reply 86
Original post by TAgusto

St. John's
Original post by d0nkey_dude
Are you also applying for natural sciences at other unis? Or a different course entirely?

natsci at other unis: Durham, bath, Southampton, Loughborough
Original post by Gabzinc
Seconding the idea that the maths section was really hard. I found the past papers so much easier to do even in the time limit. I think by the time I got to Q6 20 minutes had already gone, and I couldn't the one with the cups (misread it) :colonhash:. However the chemistry and biology sections were fine (had to guess like the last 5 of each cause I was out of time!)

Same!! I wasted so much time on the maths section (cuz I’m a stubborn idiot 😂) so I ended up doing the chem and Physics sections in about 25 mins combined! 😂
just a quick question about interviews: does anyone know whether the questions will be like 'discuss.....' or will they just give us a problem and make us work through that?
Reply 90
Original post by nyxnko_
just a quick question about interviews: does anyone know whether the questions will be like 'discuss.....' or will they just give us a problem and make us work through that?

Probably work through then discuss.
Original post by Burnbad
Probably work through then discuss.

As in the problem?
What I meant by 'discuss' questions were open-ended questions where you use some common sense and then back it up with science or something.
My son applied nature science of Trinity. As a US junior applicant, we almost knew nothing about the UK process. We just followed the direction in Cambridge website and have no idea how is everything going and will go. :frown:My son has 7 APs and 6 of them is related to math, physics. His ACT compistion is 35. He is a junior now, so we applied for 2020 entry( with one gap year to finish his US high shool and be 18 year old when enter ). He sat NSAA last week and did Section A/B/E, he said he did everything good with at most 3 wrong total. But Setion 2 only has 2 problems, and he did not answer the last question for the seond problem. I do really hope he can get an offer this year, but I worried about his setion 2. Even he got everything correct, because of the last question, I thinkg he maybe only can get 75%? I don't know how many questions in each problem and what is eah question's weight for the whole section.there is no news for the interview yet. We signed up to Toronto interview and really worried if he can got a slot for the interview. I am more upset than my son. It seems that he doesn't care at all. :frown:(
Original post by Janeiswho
My son applied nature science of Trinity. As a US junior applicant, we almost knew nothing about the UK process. We just followed the direction in Cambridge website and have no idea how is everything going and will go. :frown:My son has 7 APs and 6 of them is related to math, physics. His ACT compistion is 35. He is a junior now, so we applied for 2020 entry( with one gap year to finish his US high shool and be 18 year old when enter ). He sat NSAA last week and did Section A/B/E, he said he did everything good with at most 3 wrong total. But Setion 2 only has 2 problems, and he did not answer the last question for the seond problem. I do really hope he can get an offer this year, but I worried about his setion 2. Even he got everything correct, because of the last question, I thinkg he maybe only can get 75%? I don't know how many questions in each problem and what is eah question's weight for the whole section.there is no news for the interview yet. We signed up to Toronto interview and really worried if he can got a slot for the interview. I am more upset than my son. It seems that he doesn't care at all. :frown:(

The admissions assessment is really not something to worry about so much! If he’s a good candidate in other ways (and it sounds like he is) then he’s likely to be given an interview. 75% is a really good score for the NSAA anyway so I think you should be celebrating more than worrying
Just send an email to the adimission dept of Trinity and replied that we will get news from overseas interview team IN NEXT FEW DAYS. Cross my fingers~~
Original post by Science99999
Natural Sciences- An alternative route to medicine. Tbf, if I applied for Natural Sciences at Cambridge, I wouldn't have a problem for the admissions examinations; considering I do all 4 Sciences, in addition to have done various super curricular projects.

Dude, get of your high horse
Reply 96
Apparently someone doing natsci had recieved an invitation yesterday from St cats.
Original post by Burnbad
Apparently someone doing natsci had recieved an invitation yesterday from St cats.

St cats is the usually the first college to send out invites so if you didn't apply there you shouldn't be worried.
What college did you apply to ?
Original post by HelloXXX
St cats is the usually the first college to send out invites so if you didn't apply there you shouldn't be worried.
What college did you apply to ?

do you know how quickly jesus reply?
Original post by CompSciCat
Dude, get of your high horse

I know- it doesn't matter if you take all the sciences, it matters how good you are at them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending