Moving to London with a hamster Watch

Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My husband and I are moving to London in September to start uni. This is going to sound kinda silly but we have a hamster and are looking to rent a one bedroom flat from a private landlord. We don’t want to get any more pets but would be really sad if we had to leave our hamster behind (we’ve had him for almost two years.) How unlikely is it that we’ll find a landlord willing to let us keep a hamster in London.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 899071)
My husband and I are moving to London in September to start uni. This is going to sound kinda silly but we have a hamster and are looking to rent a one bedroom flat from a private landlord. We don’t want to get any more pets but would be really sad if we had to leave our hamster behind (we’ve had him for almost two years.) How unlikely is it that we’ll find a landlord willing to let us keep a hamster in London.
Just ask any potential landlords (in writing like by email) if a hamster would be okay as you already have one. The whole no pet thing is usually to keep carpets and walls nice so a caged hamster probably won't be a big deal. My landlord was totally cool with me having gerbils. I sent them an email asking nicely, they said it was fine and I kept the email so if it ever came up I could prove I was given permission.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's probably be ok with a hamster, just ask. Tbh a landlord will probably never find out about the hamster cos it won't make your flat smell or damage the furniture or anything.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can’t hurt to ask. They’re not going to destroy much!
And if you’ve had him two years, without sounding callous it may not be for long.....
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Can’t hurt to ask. They’re not going to destroy much!
And if you’ve had him two years, without sounding callous it may not be for long.....
Yeah, we know, that’s why we don’t want to leave him. Thanks everyone, you’ve made me feel a little more positive about it.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 899071)
Agree with the others that you can get round it.

If you are dealing direct with a private Landlord then its at their discretion.
If you are dealing through an agent, then the pinch point becomes where they want money and fees.

The hamster is at an advantage because it will be in its cage or under supervision, dont think they do much damage, its small and it doesnt make much noise.
Make a video of it in its nice clean cage and you can forward that to the LL so they can see what they are dealing with.

Just drop it into the conversation a bit later when they want you rather than letting them use it as a stick to beat more money out of you.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Damn, always cruel buying one hamster/gerbil/rabbit or whatever.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Damn, always cruel buying one hamster/gerbil/rabbit or whatever.
He’s a Syrian hamster, they don’t live in pairs (they hurt each other if you put them in pairs.) We do our best to make him perfectly happy. Here’s more info to educate you: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...animal-hamster
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Agree with the others that you can get round it.

If you are dealing direct with a private Landlord then its at their discretion.
If you are dealing through an agent, then the pinch point becomes where they want money and fees.

The hamster is at an advantage because it will be in its cage or under supervision, dont think they do much damage, its small and it doesnt make much noise.
Make a video of it in its nice clean cage and you can forward that to the LL so they can see what they are dealing with.

Just drop it into the conversation a bit later when they want you rather than letting them use it as a stick to beat more money out of you.
Okay, thanks for the advice
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doesn't hurt to ask!

I was originally told I'd have to pay an additional £100 deposit to keep pets in my flat in Glasgow, but after they realised it was a hamster and fish they waived it.
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Freddie Starr could look after it for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads