The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship struggles

So after finishing GCSE last year i went to pursue a Business Course level 3, i did that for 5 months then realised it wasnt for me- since then ive been attempting to get an apprenticeship within engineering and its taking longer than expected, Im 17 and turning 18 on the 11th of december and im worried that i'll no longer get any apprenticeships once i reach that age and financially ill ruin my parents, i'm worried and its really messing with my head i don't know what to do and whether to just give up and get a regular retail job even though i'd dread work i have no idea what to do, any advice or some facts about what happens once i reach 18
Reply 1
You should fully go for the apprenticeships that are for 18 and above as retail or other ordinary jobs are clearly not in your interest. It's normal to have doubts as it might be very different. I'm personally considering an apprenticeship to help my family out financially. It's either that or I accept my uni on results day. I guess if I did bad then and got into no uni I could say well I have a solid reason to go for apprenticeships instead of having to reject I would have got rejected not by choice. Not sure.

Anyway it seems like the best option for you. Why do you have doubts? Do you think the work will be harder?
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m going to be honest here, if you want to do an engineering apprenticeship, most likely the company will want you to hold A levels/BTEC grades which are fully completed. Don’t worry about you turning 18, this will NOT stop you from getting an apprenticeship!

Obviously it depends on the level of the company, but since you’re turning 18 these engineering firms will want complete A levels etc. I suggest maybe thinking about re-taking your studies/returning to college maybe to pursue an engineering course?
Reply 3
I dont really have a choice to do that as my parents arent doing well financially and if I go back into full time education above 18 I dont think my parents would get money for me so I dont really have a choice to do so
Original post by Anonymous
I dont really have a choice to do that as my parents arent doing well financially and if I go back into full time education above 18 I dont think my parents would get money for me so I dont really have a choice to do so

That’s a fair point. What about if you enroll for September next month? You’ll still be 17 or will you? If not, then I think you should get in contact with people who are maybe already in the engineering field? For example, family friends etc, and network with them to see if there is any entry level/administrative positions going within the firm? Gotta do whatever it takes man!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending