Does getting a first class matter more than university choice? Watch

Annonymous8811
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I would appreciate your advice on this topic. Will getting a first class in University of Essex for law better than someone who got a second upper from a Russell group university (QUB, liverpool)? Is Essex a good university for law degree? If both student from Essex and Liverpool scores first class, will the RG student gets the advantage?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Annonymous8811)
Hi, I would appreciate your advice on this topic. Will getting a first class in University of Essex for law better than someone who got a second upper from a Russell group university (QUB, liverpool)? Is Essex a good university for law degree? If both student from Essex and Liverpool scores first class, will the RG student gets the advantage?
I cant give you your micro measurements. It doesnt work like that. I would prefer to have a 2:1 from an elite or near elite uni. i.e about top 10. Further down the food chain imo then grade comes into it and where you went has less influence. Essex is quite an established course. You should contact the uni for details on where their students go.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
its not this simple, it depends how elite the Uni/course, and the reputation of a non-russell group Uni. Also some jobs such as IB your institution are way more important, whereas engineering careers your degree performance is more important.... (for law im not sure, I do know way too many people study law for how many elite jobs there are at the top top firms or in the top chambers, because of this i suspect to u need to have both an elite Uni and a v.strong track record to get a top job..... however if u just want to be an average lawyer i do not know)

EDIT: also i do not consider QUB or liverpool elite despite being RG (RG = research funding) i dont think the big firms will either, these unis dont stack up to Oxbridge, lse, ucl, manchester, bristol, nottingham....
Annonymous8811
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I cant give you your micro measurements. It doesnt work like that. I would prefer to have a 2:1 from an elite or near elite uni. i.e about top 10. Further down the food chain imo then grade comes into it and where you went has less influence. Essex is quite an established course. You should contact the uni for details on where their students go.
Essex promote their Uni quite a lot but since I’m international student, I don’t know if Essex is a good uni in UK if I take it into comparison with Liverpool Uni I also heard liverpool is the worst RG uni
Annonymous8811
Rep:
?
(Original post by malcolmmarecki)
its not this simple, it depends how elite the Uni/course, and the reputation of a non-russell group Uni. Also some jobs such as IB your institution are way more important, whereas engineering careers your degree performance is more important.... (for law im not sure, I do know way too many people study law for how many elite jobs there are at the top top firms or in the top chambers, because of this i suspect to u need to have both an elite Uni and a v.strong track record to get a top job..... however if u just want to be an average lawyer i do not know)

EDIT: also i do not consider QUB or liverpool elite despite being RG (RG = research funding) i dont think the big firms will either, these unis dont stack up to Oxbridge, lse, ucl, manchester, bristol, nottingham....
Hey, thanks for the info! In your opinion, If I put both Liverpool and Essex into comparison, will a 2:1 in Liverpool be better than a first from Essex? Since Liverpool is not a very elite RG. But I’m aware Essex is quite new also, and not many people heard of that university before 😪
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Essex promote their Uni quite a lot but since I’m international student, I don’t know if Essex is a good uni in UK if I take it into comparison with Liverpool Uni I also heard liverpool is the worst RG uni
You should maybe state what your aims are. Are these the best unis that you can get into? Do you already have your results?

Speak to the student Law societies as well, but they will be a bit biased.

https://www.liverpoolsu.com/contactus
https://www.essexstudent.com/organisation/6858/
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're asking in terms of employability, I'm almost certain that waving any degree in an employers face is going to do absolutely nothing to get you a job. The most important aspect of applying for job is how you apply yourself during the application process. You may find a correlation between those who have a good degree from a top university and obtaining work. This is likely linked to their cognitive ability and how they were able to assess the recruitment process and apply themselves correctly to it.
Annonymous8811
Rep:
?
You should maybe state what your aims are. Are these the best unis that you can get into? Do you already have your results?

Speak to the student Law societies as well, but they will be a bit biased.

https://www.liverpoolsu.com/contactus
https://www.essexstudent.com/organisation/6858/
Hey, I’m actually on a credit transfer, going there for final yr and yes these are the last two better university options I’ll consider. I’m aiming for a first class but Liverpool actually takes my second yr result for final classification which I think it’ll drag down my chances of getting a first, if I were to go there I think I’ll just get a 2:1, While Essex is taking only my final yr grades, means I have a higher chance to get a first. That’s why I’m asking if a 2:1 from RG would be more beneficial than a first from non RG Uni
Annonymous8811
Rep:
?
(Original post by DCDCo)
If you're asking in terms of employability, I'm almost certain that waving any degree in an employers face is going to do absolutely nothing to get you a job. The most important aspect of applying for job is how you apply yourself during the application process. You may find a correlation between those who have a good degree from a top university and obtaining work. This is likely linked to their cognitive ability and how they were able to assess the recruitment process and apply themselves correctly to it.
Ahh that’s true too!
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The higher up the ranks you go the more highly your 1st will be regarded by employers. However, that doesn’t mean you’ll end up having a less successful career in the long run it may just not fall into the palm of your hand as easily as if you just walked out of oxbridge with a 1st.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I’m actually on a credit transfer, going there for final yr and yes these are the last two better university options I’ll consider. I’m aiming for a first class but Liverpool actually takes my second yr result for final classification which I think it’ll drag down my chances of getting a first, if I were to go there I think I’ll just get a 2:1, While Essex is taking only my final yr grades, means I have a higher chance to get a first. That’s why I’m asking if a 2:1 from RG would be more beneficial than a first from non RG Uni
The difference between Essex and Liverpool is not as large as between Essex and LSE.
It doesnt seem to be a given you will get a first anyway.
I think id just go to the course I liked the uni the most, the content was good, most convenient etc. Do find out what their employment rates are.

Cant say im in agreement totally with #7 as it can make a different but at a higher level than you are concerned with..
You can ask the posters JSP, Notoriety, Johan grk and the others what they think.
Annonymous8811
Rep:
?
The difference between Essex and Liverpool is not as large as between Essex and LSE.
It doesnt seem to be a given you will get a first anyway.
I think id just go to the course I liked the uni the most, the content was good, most convenient etc. Do find out what their employment rates are.

Cant say im in agreement totally with #7 as it can make a different but at a higher level than you are concerned with..
You can ask the posters JSP, Notoriety, Johan grk and the others what they think.
Thank you 🙌🏻 I will try asking!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (69)
13.97%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.38%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
19.03%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (196)
39.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.26%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.68%