Turn on thread page Beta

(Hopefully Not) A Cat-Astrophic A-level Journey: GYG 2018-19 watch

ReputationRep:

Hi! I’m Kei and I’m here with my 2nd GYG! :hi: It’s a new school year, which means new goals, new GYG, etc. And again, I’m here to ‘beat procrastination’ and ‘motivate myself’ but y’all know the truth: I’m here to snoop around and see what everyone is up to :ninja: So here I am again!!

To those of you who kept up with my last GYG, a huge huge huge THANK YOU is in order! :grouphugs: I don’t think I could have gotten through Year 12 without the huge support you guys gave me. To those of you who don’t know who I am, HERE is my previous GYG if you like reading out-of-date blog posts or just have some free time handy. It was very up-and-down last year and I took quite a few breaks off TSR as well so the posts are a bit out of whack with no real consistency. This year will probably be even worse emotionally and mentally (and physically, now that I think about it) so here’s to Year 13!

Note: I’ve put all these in spoilers so it doesn’t look so long but it does anyway

The All-Important Academic History
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Let’s start with grades because that’s the one that everyone’s interested in :rolleyes:

For GCSEs, I got 8A*s, 2As, 77 and a B. I’m not going to break that down, but it is in my profile if you’re interested. I know I could have done better but now, I’m just not that fussed anymore. It’s done. It’s history.

As for AS, I managed to get 4As :woo: I’ve put my scores in brackets down below but they’re not really important.. :emo:

Half-Hearted Aspirations
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don’t really know what I want to do in the future, to be honest. :iiam: For this year, I want to just get through uni applications, get through A-levels and just survive.

I’m still planning to apply to Singapore :rip: but I probably won’t get in, especially since it’s so competitive. It’s good for me to go due to the bursaries and all, but their term starts in August, which is before I get my A-level results and they’ve stated that I, myself, am expected to catch up on work and all that I’ve missed during that month or so, and I’ll miss orientation and everything else because they won’t accept me until I get my A-level results. :sad: And because I’m applying without my A-level grades, they want me to do all sorts of tests, like ACT and SAT Subject Tests, which is just a bit pointless. And honestly, after I’d sent in my UCAS application, I was just done with all that uni stuff but I had already done and signed up for all my tests so I figured.. might as well apply to Singapore and see how I do :dontknow:

After uni, though, I have no idea what I want to do. I’m considering teaching, maybe research, or I might work in ‘industry’ for a bit and then go for a PhD? I honestly have no idea.

All the Subject Details
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I’m going to have this section just because I had this section last year.

In Year 12, I did AS Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. For Year 13, I’m not dropping anything, which I know I’ll regret later but yeah, just let me do my best.

Maths (Edexcel)
    AS Grade: A (154)
    Predicted (UCAS): A*
    What I would like to get: A* >> What I will probably get: A*
    Summer 2019 will be the second year of examinations for this A-level because last year was the first year of exams so fortunately, I will have one set of past papers that I can use. For those of you who are slightly out of the loop, Edexcel Maths no longer has modules! Although you can argue this is probably a good thing (because AS Applied was a lot easier than both S1 and M1), it’s also not a good thing because it means I can’t avoid stats like the plague and skipping out on the stats isn’t an option if I’m aiming for that A* (although it wasn’t an option with modules anyway, unless I wanted to do something like M5 :giggle:)

Further Maths (Edexcel)
    AS Grade: A (151)
    What I would like to get: A* >> What I will probably get: A*/A
    Unlike Maths, FM didn’t have their first year of A-level examinations last year. Their textbooks weren’t even out until May and even then, they had a ton of mistakes. Welp, this is the first year, I’m part of the first cohort. It’s going to be a fun year ahead. :bricks: Fortunately, they haven’t made it compulsory to do Mechanics and Stats so I picked FM1 and FM2, mainly because my school only did FM1 and FS1, FM1 and FM2 or FS1 and FD1 so… yeah. I did have a thing for FP1 and FP2 but that was before I realised that the textbooks for FP1 (and FP2) weren’t going to come out anytime soon and my crush on FP1 and FP2 flickered and died. :getmecoat:

Chemistry (AQA)
    AS Grade: A (134)
    What I would like to get: A* >> What I will probably get: A*/A
    This was definitely my favourite subject last year. I enjoyed it, I understood the content and I did decently at it. Yes, it was definitely my favourite last year. :yep: Unfortunately, I won’t be getting the same 2 teachers I had last year :sad: and one of my Year 13 teachers isn’t really great but hopefully, I’ll get used to it. (Edit on 08/12/18: I still can’t get used to it :emo: I miss my old organic teacher)

Physics (AQA)
    AS Grade: A (108) :jive:
    Predicted (UCAS): A
    What I would like to get: A*/A >> What I will probably get: A/B
    Physics was the one subject that I was a little uncertain about throughout Year 12. I mean, I did decently in tests and all that, but I just didn’t click with it that well. Plus, I had been considering dropping it since January 2018 and for most of Year 12, I was just toying with the idea of dropping it. Ironically, I ended up getting the highest score in AS Physics at my school :dontknow: But now that I’ve applied, and I’ve had offers stating they want Physics in the offer, I can’t do anything about it but it’s not going too badly so far :nah: (although I bet you that will come back to bite me in the butt :sadnod:) As for my option, I picked Astrophysics

So yeah, this is my last year of school and it’s the big year! I know the rest of my life will depend on this year so I want to do my best!! So here’s to as little procrastination as possible this year! :cheers:
    Wow! This is a very long first post that will only continue to get longer so in a (somewhat futile) attempt to shorten it, I’ve moved all my UCAS stuff and the Index to Post 2, which is just below this post. Anyways, happy reading!

Love you all :lovehug:
    Kei

ReputationRep:
    Note: I’ve moved all this from the OP so I’ll stop editing it that much. For reference, this is where I tagged in everyone from my last GYG.

UCAS Application
    Predicted grades: A*A*A*A
    It was originally A*A*A*A* but I had asked for my Physics prediction to be lowered because I didn’t want the pressure associated with the A* prediction in Physics and about a week later, I was told it was still an A*, so I thought that they just kinda ignored me and didn’t change it but when I sent it off, I found out they actually did change it, which was very relieving, actually. I did have to put up with the Head of Year 12 calling me a freak (albeit jokingly) and my friends’ jabs at my liberty to actually ask for a predicted grade to be lowered.

Date applied: 10/10/18

Cambridge (Peterhouse College), Natural Sciences (BCF0)
    Acknowledgement (+SAQ): 11/10/18
    College Acknowledgement: 11/10/18
    Invitation to Interview: 23/11/18
    Interview Date: 14/12/18
    Offer/Rejection:

Durham (St. Chad’s), Natural Sciences (FGC0)
    Acknowledgement: 15/10/18
    Offer/Rejection:

Nottingham, Natural Sciences (GFC0)
    Acknowledgement: 11/10/18
    Offer: 24/10/18 A*AA (in Chemistry, Physics and either Maths or FM)

York, Natural Sciences (FGC0)
    Acknowledgement: 11/10/18
    Offer: 25/10/18 A*AA (in Chemistry, Physics and Maths) or AAAA

St Andrews, Chemistry (F101)
    Acknowledgement: 10/10/18
    Offer/Rejection:

Index of Posts
    Had this in my last GYG and I figured because there’s like 20-30 posts between updates, I can save you the trouble by putting these all into one place. I’ll update this roughly every month (hopefully) so the more recent updates might not be here.

ReputationRep:
    Tag me!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuryBall)
    Tag me!
    Okay :thumbsup:
    How's your summer coming along?

ReputationRep:
    Tag me!
    How's your summer going?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, though I'm sure you're going to do amazing regardless! (oh yeah, and tag pls )

ReputationRep:
    Good but pretty busy studying for SATs!

Btw how did you prepare for the math 2 topics that aren’t covered on the AS maths specification? Do you now understand them well enough at A2 level now? (E.g functions and some things about trigonometry like sec)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Long time no see!:hugs:
    I’ll join the tag list pleaseeeeee

ReputationRep:
    Watching, tag me please
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    We love to Taggy
    We love to Taggy
    Jitterbug Taggy!
    High School Taggy
    We love to Taggy,
    On a Saturday night.
    :party2:

ReputationRep:
    hey city sister!! long time no talk - mostly due to the fact that i haven't been on here for months oooops my blog kinda died out :/
    tag me please! i want to stay completely up to date this year!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Good luck, Kei! Looking forward to read your gyg. Tag me please

ReputationRep:
    keep me tagged! i’m so excited (and gotta start writing my first post soon?!)

i’ll probably also do that tag list thing and update it :yep:

i never actually realised you want to do natural sciences! it’s something i’ve been warming to recently in addition to medicine - please educate me on the course throughout your gyg :laugh:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hiya, feel free to tag me when you get the chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralPrints)
    Tag me!
    How's your summer going?
    Will do :yes:
    It's too hot to do too much and honestly, it's been very lazy. What about your summer?

(Original post by urlocalethnic)
    Good luck, though I'm sure you're going to do amazing regardless! (oh yeah, and tag pls )
    Thank you!
    Will do!

Good but pretty busy studying for SATs!

Btw how did you prepare for the math 2 topics that aren’t covered on the AS maths specification? Do you now understand them well enough at A2 level now? (E.g functions and some things about trigonometry like sec)
    Erk.. good luck with that. I'm assuming you're doing the Subject Tests as well. Math 2 wasn't actually as difficult as I thought it would be. I literally got a revision guide for it, worked through the guide and was fine. In fact, it was only the trig/logic stuff that I had trouble with. As for the A2 stuff, I haven't really covered it yet, but I would say that it's probably going to be harder than the SAT stuff.
    Are you doing any other ones?

(Original post by Toastiekid)
    Long time no see!:hugs:
    I’ll join the tag list pleaseeeeee
    :hi: :hugs:
    Okie :yes: How are you doing?

(Original post by MaizieAmyr)
    Watching, tag me please
    Okie :thumbsup:

(Original post by 04MR17)
    We love to Taggy
    We love to Taggy
    Jitterbug Taggy!
    High School Taggy
    We love to Taggy,
    On a Saturday night.
    :party2:
    :rofl:
    Okie. Will add you to the Taggy List of Taggedy Lovelies. :yep:

(Original post by stalkingsilence)
    hey city sister!! long time no talk - mostly due to the fact that i haven't been on here for months oooops my blog kinda died out :/
    tag me please! i want to stay completely up to date this year!
    Yeah.. Mine has kinda almost ended and honestly, I haven't been on TSR much this summer
    Will add you to the tag list :yes: Are you making a GYG this year as well?

(Original post by SomMC1)
    Good luck, Kei! Looking forward to read your gyg. Tag me please
    Thank you!! :hugs: Consider yourself a member of the tag list :yes:

(Original post by clouddbubbles)
    keep me tagged! i’m so excited (and gotta start writing my first post soon?!)

i’ll probably also do that tag list thing and update it :yep:

i never actually realised you want to do natural sciences! it’s something i’ve been warming to recently in addition to medicine - please educate me on the course throughout your gyg :laugh:
    Will tag you. Ahh please make sure you add me to your tag list thing when you finish writing your first post.
    Yeah, I didn't even realise NatSci was a thing until the middle of Year 12 I'm not too sure I'll be able to educate you on the course but I'll try my best

(Original post by CinnamonSmol)
    hiya, feel free to tag me when you get the chance
    Okay. Will do :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yup I’m doing physics too. You applying to the US?
    Also, what was the revision guide called?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yup I’m doing physics too. You applying to the US?
    Oh same :five:
    No I'm not applying to the US I'm applying to Singapore but 'without my results' so they need me to do all the same sort of standardised testing that you would need for the USA. It's because students in Singapore generally apply to uni after they've gotten their results, which is just kinda annoying :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nyxnko_)
    Oh same :five:
    No, I'm not applying to the US
    Ahh. When are you taking the physics test? I'm taking it in November (pretty late!). From what I've seen by looking at a textbook for physics SAT, it has a lot of content e.g. relativity, which isn't covered in A-level or GCSE. I'm not sure how difficult it is though! How was chemistry?

Also, I don't think you saw my edit in the previous comment, but what was the revision guide you used to for math 2?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh. When are you taking the physics test? I'm taking it in November (pretty late!). From what I've seen by looking at a textbook for physics SAT, it has a lot of content e.g. relativity, which isn't covered in A-level or GCSE. I'm not sure how difficult it is though! How was chemistry?

Also, I don't think you saw my edit in the previous comment, but what was the revision guide you used to for math 2?

Cheers
    I don't know. Maybe October, if they have a session then. Yeah, the Physics SAT was apparently 'horrible' (quote my friend who did it about a month earlier than me and who refused to tell me her score because of how horrible it was)
    Chemistry was actually decent :yes: A lot of it was just memorisation and dare I say it, guesswork But funnily enough, I did better on my Chemistry SAT than my Math SAT
    No, I didn't see it. :facepalm: I used the one by Kaplan but I've heard that the Barrons (?) one is pretty good as well :yes:
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I'll hang on the tag list

I feel guilty reading this because I've not been productive at all lmao, I've just been playing video games and consuming energy drinks (Though that was what I was doing during school too :rofl:)

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.