The Student Room Group

University Entry Requirements

Just wondering if there’s any relationship between a university’s entry requirements and the difficulty of the degree?
For example, would a university that asked for AAB entry requirements have more challenging work then a university that asked for CCC?
Or is this just depending on how competitive each university is?
I dont think that many courses exist that vary so much in grade requirements - are talking about a particular course, if so what?
Reply 2
Original post by medic18
I dont think that many courses exist that vary so much in grade requirements - are talking about a particular course, if so what?

English language in particular
Original post by sbrc2148
Just wondering if there’s any relationship between a university’s entry requirements and the difficulty of the degree?
For example, would a university that asked for AAB entry requirements have more challenging work then a university that asked for CCC?
Or is this just depending on how competitive each university is?

Unis obviously don't want everyone to fail, so if they're offering places to people with lower grades, they may have to start at a lower level to make sure that no-one is left behind in the first term. They may also offer more support services.

University courses do vary very widely though, and often offer very different modules, so it can be hard to directly compare them- not everyone finds the same things challenging.

Some unis with lower entry requirements may set more essays/assignments to start with as well, to help bring everyone up to the standard required.

I wouldn't say there's a 100% direct correlation, but in general, yes, unis asking for higher grades on entry may have higher expectations of students and the course may be more challenging.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Unis obviously don't want everyone to fail, so if they're offering places to people with lower grades, they may have to start at a lower level to make sure that no-one is left behind in the first term. They may also offer more support services.

University courses do vary very widely though, and often offer very different modules, so it can be hard to directly compare them- not everyone finds the same things challenging.

Some unis with lower entry requirements may set more essays/assignments to start with as well, to help bring everyone up to the standard required.

I wouldn't say there's a 100% direct correlation, but in general, yes, unis asking for higher grades on entry may have higher expectations of students and the course may be more challenging.

Okay that definitely makes sense! Thank you so much for this response. I’m just worried as I have an unconditional offer and I’m not sure I’ll meet what would’ve been the entry requirements so I’m scared I’m putting myself out of my depth? The uni asked for ABB but I’m likely to get BBE so I’m not sure
Original post by sbrc2148
Okay that definitely makes sense! Thank you so much for this response. I’m just worried as I have an unconditional offer and I’m not sure I’ll meet what would’ve been the entry requirements so I’m scared I’m putting myself out of my depth? The uni asked for ABB but I’m likely to get BBE so I’m not sure

I think as long as the E isn't in the subject you want to study, you'll be fine. There's not always a huge difference between an A and a B at A-level and many uni assignments use different skills to uni level exams.

If you find yourself struggling to keep up then you can always approach your lecturers for advice (they may be able to recommend extra reading etc) and many unis have essay writing help services and maths support you can seek out if that's a problem.

First year is a learning curve for everyone, as uni is very different to most sixth forms, so don't worry too much!
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think as long as the E isn't in the subject you want to study, you'll be fine. There's not always a huge difference between an A and a B at A-level and many uni assignments use different skills to uni level exams.

If you find yourself struggling to keep up then you can always approach your lecturers for advice (they may be able to recommend extra reading etc) and many unis have essay writing help services and maths support you can seek out if that's a problem.

First year is a learning curve for everyone, as uni is very different to most sixth forms, so don't worry too much!

Thank you so much, this is really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest