larissa67
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m looking to study biology at uni next year after I finish A Levels (granted I’ve passed AS lol) and I’m struggling to find unis to apply to.

So far I’m considering Durham, York and St. Andrews, with York being my favourite so far in terms of the course itself and the university.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other unis I could think about applying to with lower grade requirements than AAB for biology? (as I would like an insurance uni with grades lower than these).

I don’t know what I’m yet predicted for A Level as obviously I’m still waiting for results day!
Thanks
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by larissa67)
I’m looking to study biology at uni next year after I finish A Levels (granted I’ve passed AS lol) and I’m struggling to find unis to apply to.

So far I’m considering Durham, York and St. Andrews, with York being my favourite so far in terms of the course itself and the university.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other unis I could think about applying to with lower grade requirements than AAB for biology? (as I would like an insurance uni with grades lower than these).

I don’t know what I’m yet predicted for A Level as obviously I’m still waiting for results day!
Thanks
i did biology at St Andrews! you /have/ to go visit (but visit other unis first)
larissa67
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
i did biology at St Andrews! you /have/ to go visit (but visit other unis first)
You did?! I went to visit earlier in the Summer. How did you find it?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You did?! I went to visit earlier in the Summer. How did you find it?
in the end very glad i chose it over Durham, Bath and Warwick. Durham is just students from England whereas St Andrews is basically internationals,mainly really friendly Americans and expats who had been living in in Singapore, Brazil and Dubai etc.

in terms of the course - in my first year i did 1/3 each of Biology, Psych and Economics and almost considered switching to an economics degree i liked it so much!
larissa67
Rep:
?
in the end very glad i chose it over Durham, Bath and Warwick. Durham is just students from England whereas St Andrews is basically internationals,mainly really friendly Americans and expats who had been living in in Singapore, Brazil and Dubai etc.

in terms of the course - in my first year i did 1/3 each of Biology, Psych and Economics and almost considered switching to an economics degree i liked it so much!
That’s nice to hear, as I’m currently going to an international school and I really enjoy meeting people/having friends from all over the world. How did you find the town itself? Did you feel any sort of “cabin fever”? Is there enough to do in terms of student life? Sorry for so many questions haha😅
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s nice to hear, as I’m currently going to an international school and I really enjoy meeting people/having friends from all over the world. How did you find the town itself? Did you feel any sort of “cabin fever”? Is there enough to do in terms of student life? Sorry for so many questions haha😅
i overrheard a mum from the US with her daughter commenting that it was much bigger than they expected and that is very true.

it IS a small town and i'm not going to pretend there's as much to do as in London, but that creates out a more community, tight-knit atmosphere based on going to the beach or spotting A-list celebs at the Golf course lol. Besides Edinburgh is only 1.5 hours away by train when you are bored.

you should really visit to know if its for you. i personally never felt bored because it flies so quickly: Freshers week is 1 week, then by the time you've finished your first two weeks studying, you will have already completed a quarter of the semester!
kurtwhite23
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dundee has a very good reputation for biology (biological sciences), and offer ABB entry.

Also, Newcastle University offers a PARTNERS programme - which if you firm them, you get a lower offer 2 grades below the original (i.e their biology offer is ABB-AAB - so your new offer could be BBC-BBB). You have to qualify (e.g: parents didn't go to university; live in a low-income area e.t.c)
But their original offer ABB/AAB is good too, for a top university, with both great academics, and nightlife, in Newcastle.
larissa67
Rep:
?
i overrheard a mum from the US with her daughter commenting that it was much bigger than they expected and that is very true.

it IS a small town and i'm not going to pretend there's as much to do as in London, but that creates out a more community, tight-knit atmosphere based on going to the beach or spotting A-list celebs at the Golf course lol. Besides Edinburgh is only 1.5 hours away by train when you are bored.

you should really visit to know if its for you. i personally never felt bored because it flies so quickly: Freshers week is 1 week, then by the time you've finished your first two weeks studying, you will have already completed a quarter of the semester!
Thanks for your help! Just worried that I may find it too small as I currently live as an expat in a large city in China 😂 It’s great to hear positive things about it though.
larissa67
Rep:
?
(Original post by kurtwhite23)
Dundee has a very good reputation for biology (biological sciences), and offer ABB entry.

Also, Newcastle University offers a PARTNERS programme - which if you firm them, you get a lower offer 2 grades below the original (i.e their biology offer is ABB-AAB - so your new offer could be BBC-BBB). You have to qualify (e.g: parents didn't go to university; live in a low-income area e.t.c)
But their original offer ABB/AAB is good too, for a top university, with both great academics, and nightlife, in Newcastle.
Thank you for your help! I will check out both of those unis
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (76)
26.86%
No - I have already returned home (33)
11.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (57)
20.14%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.95%
No - I live at home during term anyway (86)
30.39%

Watched Threads