The Student Room Group

whats the best undergraduate degree for Graduate entry medicine

ATM going to be studying bio medical sciences at Nottingham Trent in September and I just need some advice as graduate entry medicine is the main goal and I want to put myself in the best position I could be in. I've also got a concern about where I'm studying as its not a Russell group uni and its placed 40th in the rankings. Would this harm my chances for GEM ?

I've still got time during clearing to do something about it and I've looked at higher ranking unis and I meet there clearing requirements however only for the more biology emphasized degrees such as human biology for example as I lack the chemistry qualifications.

help would be appreciated
Original post by Buxton100
ATM going to be studying bio medical sciences at Nottingham Trent in September and I just need some advice as graduate entry medicine is the main goal and I want to put myself in the best position I could be in. I've also got a concern about where I'm studying as its not a Russell group uni and its placed 40th in the rankings. Would this harm my chances for GEM ?

I've still got time during clearing to do something about it and I've looked at higher ranking unis and I meet there clearing requirements however only for the more biology emphasized degrees such as human biology for example as I lack the chemistry qualifications.

You're doing a life sciences degree so that makes you eligible for all graduate entry medical degrees. The actual title of the degree doesn't make a difference e.g. biomedical sciences, biochemistry, biology, genetics etc are all fine. It doesn't matter whether you go to a Russell Group university.

You should try and do some long term healthcare related volunteering or work (e.g. as an HCA) during your BSc in preparation for applying for GEM.
Reply 2
ive been a HCA for the last two years and im going to continue that on a 0 hour contract during uni just need to get my volunteer work sorted. how come gem perfer russel group to standard unis ?
ive been a HCA for the last two years and im going to continue that on a 0 hour contract during uni just need to get my volunteer work sorted. how come gem perfer russel group to standard unis ?

They don’t. It doesn’t matter where your degree is from.
how come gem perfer russel group to standard unis ?

They don't - there were lots of students on my GEP degree who hadn't attended Russell Group unis.
Reply 5
would it increase my chances if i did my degree at like a uni of "" or russell group or is it gonna make no differance
would it increase my chances if i did my degree at like a uni of "" or russell group or is it gonna make no differance

It genuinely doesn't make a difference. You need a 1st or a 2:1 - which uni you get that from doesn't matter.
Reply 7
okay thanks
Nottingham trent is not good enough it is a former polytechnic

Hey I am a final year Medical Science at University of South Wales. Its a feeder scheme for Cardiff University as the top 10 students of the class gets a gurateed interview for Cardiff Medical School to transfer into Year 2 after you finish the degree. Part of the feeder scheme means you also get to do a proper human body cadvar dissection if you are in the top 10 part of your dissertation which I know many medical school places don't get a chance to do that let alone a medical science place.
The course is set up with lectures in year one in a small cohort of 24 people in your year and then in year 2 its all cased based learning showing if you like the way a cased based teaching style of medical school then its great as it means you can adapt to it. Since the course is Cardiff Medical School Year 1 spread out over 3 years allows you to get a feeling of the content such as anatomy, physiology etc.
As well as this my course makes you do placement in Year 1 - following the nurses understanding how the nurses have a impact on the healthcare and basically being a HCA for one week such as bloods, obs, cleaning patient and feeding etc. then in Year 2 you follow the doctors and do history taking of patients by yourself, bloods, clinical examinations which are also learnt in medical school. The hours you get from the placement is also counted for Warwick Medical school which is a bonus!
Please message me for further details however it really doesn't matter which degree or which university as mine isn't Russel Group and majority of the cohort gets into Medicine regardless of the feeder scheme its your passion I know people who are studying Graduate Medicine as a photographer! Nothing can stop your passion if you keep working hard at it! All the best! :biggrin:
Reply 10
ive messaged you a few things pal thanks for the information , why would a polytechnic uni affect me ?

plus is there anywhere i can get certain information on this
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest