The Student Room Group

OrangeArcher's Procrastination... Motivation to A*A*A

Introduction

Hello guys, I'm back with another GYG blog (after my failure of Year 12 :biggrin: ), however, this is for 2018-2019 and this blog will cover my Year 13 journey. I plan on updating this one on a daily basis (until the last day of my exams) and I know I said I was going to do that with my Year 12 GYG blog but life got in the way and I didn't do that at all so :colondollar:.

If anyone is interested in reading through my train-wreck of a GYG blog from 2017-2018 then here's the link https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4907734

Academic Information

This is definitely the part of everyone else's GYG blog that I like to read.

GCSEs (2015-2017)

4A*s, 6As, 1B and 1C
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Art - A*
English Literature - 8
Mathematics - 7
English Language - 7
Physics - A
ICT - D2
Geography - A
RE - A
Further Mathematics - B
French - C

AS-Levels (2017-2018)

AQA Biology (Internal) - B - NEW MOCK RESULT : A (60/75)
AQA Chemistry (Internal) - D - NEW MOCK RESULT : A (56/85)
OCR Mathematics (Internal) - C (apparently I can't add and subtract properly which is why I got a C in my AS mock :redface:)
OCR Further Mathematics (External) - E (Thought I had gotten a U tbh)
AQA EPQ on Mastitis and Antibiotics (External) - B (A bit annoyed as my work was meant to be an A, but oh well)

There were quite a few incidences at my school and sixth form which didn't help during my AS year so I'm hoping I can do better in my second year.

A-Levels (2018-2019)

AQA Biology (prediction) - A
AQA Chemistry (prediction) - A*
OCR Mathematics (prediction) - A

I am aiming for A*AA - A*A*A*

Interests

Some of you are probably wondering what I'm interested in so here's that. I absolutely love animals (except spiders - I love watching tarantula feeding videos on YouTube but I can't hold one :ahhhhh:) and I own 2 dogs (black labrador x GSD & flat-coated retriever mix), 4 guinea pigs, 5 hermit crabs, and some fish :biggrin:. I also really enjoy doing archery and playing tennis. I love The Hunger Games, The 100 and The Big Bang Theory so if you want to talk about that with me you can :biggrin:.

Aspirations

I've always wanted to be a vet so that is my main goal and purpose of this GYG blog so I can document and motivate (as my title suggests) my revision and schoolwork to make sure I am working hard and studying smartly. I would adore to study at the University of Surrey (I attended the Widening Participation Summer School where I did the Veterinary Medicine and Sciences Summer School) as the vet school just feels right for me, however, life may not go that smoothly so I would just love to be accepted by any university to study veterinary medicine.

Work Experience

I have completed this work experience so far:

Husbandry:

~ 7 weeks volunteering at Blue Cross by September/October (since August 2017)
~ 8 weeks at a dairy farm by September/October (for over a year)
1 week at a guinea pig/rabbit/tortoise rescue
2.6 weeks lambing
0.2 weeks (1 day) at an abattoir
1 week equestrian centre

Total: ~20 weeks

Clinical:

~ 18 weeks mixed practice 1 by September/October (for 3 and a half years)
1 week mixed practice 2
1 week SA/exotics hospital
1 week mixed practice 3 (just seeing SA practice and SA hospital)
1 week equine clinic
1 week mixed practice 4
0.2 weeks (1 day) shadowing vet at Blue Cross
0.2 weeks (2 afternoons) at a farm post-mortem laboratory

Total: ~23.2 weeks

Overall Total: ~43 weeks

University

I have started writing my personal statement for veterinary medicine, however, there isn't really much to update for this section so I'm just going to post the unis I have chosen.

1) University of Surrey (AAB) - Veterinary Medicine
2) University of Edinburgh (AAA) - Veterinary Medicine
3) University of Nottingham (AAB) / Royal Veterinary College (AAB-AAA) - Veterinary Medicine
4) University of Cambridge (A*AA) / University of Glasgow (A*AA) - Veterinary Medicine
5) N/A

UPDATED LIST

1) University of Surrey (AAB) - Veterinary Medicine
2) University of Edinburgh (AAA) - Veterinary Medicine
3) University of Nottingham (AAB)/Royal Veterinary College (AAB-AAA) - Veterinary Medicine
4) University of Cambridge - Girton College (A*AA) - Veterinary Medicine
5) N/A

FINAL LIST

1) University of Cambridge - Girton College (A*AA) - Veterinary Medicine - Interview invite sent in post 15/11/18 - received 16/11/18 - Interview 12/12/18
2) University of Surrey (AAB) - Veterinary Medicine - Interview invite received 08/11/18 - Interview 01/12/18
3) University of Edinburgh (AAA) - Veterinary Medicine - Interview invite received 11/12/18 - Interview 16/01/19
4) University of Nottingham (AAB) - Veterinary Medicine - Interview invite received 11/12/18 - Interview 30/01/19
5) N/A
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How do you go from getting a C in internals then predicted A in maths?
Reply 2
I got As in AS exams and they werent even willing to predict me A*s:s-smilie:
Original post by timif2
I have pulled my chemistry grade up to an A in my class tests so I'm confident that it's just a blip and that I can definitely get an A (at least). I spread myself too thin last year with 4 AS levels, an EPQ and roughly 15 hours of work experience every week so I'm cutting down to 3 A-levels and less work experience. I'm definitely dropping further maths (I should have never chosen it in the first place and when I tried to drop it they wouldn't let me) as I just can't deal with it (I have to spend a lot of time to get good at maths). I'm not considering Liverpool as I don't like their new work experience form and I'm not hugely interested in going there. Surrey is my top choice university. I like Madi, I think she is going to be a badass in the next season.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by timif2

I have been getting majority of Bs and As in class tests and I might ask my teacher if I can sit another exam. The C was a few marks off a B so my teacher has decided that he is willing to predict me that based on other tests I've done.
Original post by malcolmmarecki
how can u get so bad As level internal grades, and think your gunna get A*,A*,A,A.... did your school just let u put these predicted grades so u stand a half chance at getting offers because of the known competitiveness of veterinary.

This is why As levels should never have gone, u dont deserve those predictions if your based on your year 12 performance, sorry if this sounds harsh, but your school is playing the system

Nowhere did I say I was getting predicted A*A*AA as I am only doing three A-levels. I am aiming to be predicted A*A*A once I have done my resit in biology and chemistry but I am in no way definitely getting those predictions. My teachers are not letting me put those predictions down unless I actually achieve high As in my bio and chem exams. I am extremely hard working (and try and work smart), however, there are issues at home an sixth form that have affected my performance this year.
Reply 5
(deleted)
(edited 5 years ago)
I'll be doing a huge update tomorrow, however, I just want to address the fact that during year 12 I had a hard time juggling school work, work experience and other problems (at school and home). I took on too much last year, I was studying the first year of 3 A-levels (biology, chemistry and maths), an AS level (further maths), an EPQ, and 15 hours of work experience (a week) as I'm trying to make a competitive application for veterinary medicine. I've emailed all 8 universities that do veterinary medicine and the only one that said they may care is Cambridge so I'm taking this year as a learning experience and cutting down everything I do next year. This is why I am aiming for A*A*A predictions as I spread myself too thin last year and this ultimately lead to me becoming stressed and messing up both my external and internal exams.
good luck! you've got a lot of experience already:eek:
hope the year goes well for you:smile:
who's your favourite character off big bang theory?
Original post by entertainmyfaith
good luck! you've got a lot of experience already:eek:
hope the year goes well for you:smile:
who's your favourite character off big bang theory?

Thank you. My favourite character from The Big Bang Theory is Sheldon as I think he is just so goofy and hilarious.
Original post by OrangeArcher
Thank you. My favourite character from The Big Bang Theory is Sheldon as I think he is just so goofy and hilarious.

sheldon's really funny:yep: i like raj and stuart:smile:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
sheldon's really funny:yep: i like raj and stuart:smile:

I really like Raj as well
15/08/2018 - The Night Before A-level/AS Level Reults Day 2018

I have come to the realisation that I needed this awful year to teach me that it is okay for me to say no when I feel stressed and that I need time to not feel guilty and relax. This train-wreck of Year 12 has taught me that I need to be realistic with regards to how much schoolwork and work experience I can physically and mentally cope with as I like to overwork myself and do as much as possible, even if it makes me ill. My AS result in further maths tomorrow will not change me as a person, but it has taught me that I need to focus on my other three A-levels as I am not good enough at mathematics to achieve an amazing grade in such a taxing subject (for me at least). If I get a U in further maths tomorrow, then so be it. I have worked hard during Year 12 and obviously it wasn't meant to be so I need to rethink my life and prioritise the most important qualifications that I need so I can apply to vet school.

Dropping further maths at AS level (and having completed my EPQ) will now allow me to work as hard as I can for my three other subjects and the decrease in my work experience (starting when I apply to vet school) will also allow me to spend more time working on my three remaining subjects. I am hoping I can sort my life out and achieve the best grades I can during Year 13 just so I can prove to myself that I am good enough and that I should have confidence in myself and my schoolwork. That's my little rant over for now :biggrin:

P.S. Work experience is going great :smile:
I really like Raj as well

Raj is really funny so is Howard especially their bromance,
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Raj is really funny so is Howard especially their bromance,

I absolutely love their bromance!
I absolutely love their bromance!

The game when Howard goes emily or cinammon, And when raj was about to kiss bernadette and howard pushed her and got in the way.
15/08/2018 - The Night Before A-level/AS Level Reults Day 2018

I have come to the realisation that I needed this awful year to teach me that it is okay for me to say no when I feel stressed and that I need time to not feel guilty and relax. This train-wreck of Year 12 has taught me that I need to be realistic with regards to how much schoolwork and work experience I can physically and mentally cope with as I like to overwork myself and do as much as possible, even if it makes me ill. My AS result in further maths tomorrow will not change me as a person, but it has taught me that I need to focus on my other three A-levels as I am not good enough at mathematics to achieve an amazing grade in such a taxing subject (for me at least). If I get a U in further maths tomorrow, then so be it. I have worked hard during Year 12 and obviously it wasn't meant to be so I need to rethink my life and prioritise the most important qualifications that I need so I can apply to vet school.

Dropping further maths at AS level (and having completed my EPQ) will now allow me to work as hard as I can for my three other subjects and the decrease in my work experience (starting when I apply to vet school) will also allow me to spend more time working on my three remaining subjects. I am hoping I can sort my life out and achieve the best grades I can during Year 13 just so I can prove to myself that I am good enough and that I should have confidence in myself and my schoolwork. That's my little rant over for now :biggrin:

P.S. Work experience is going great :smile:

You have worked really hard this year across your school work and work experience, and regardless of what your result is tomorrow, as you say, you have learned a lot from the experience, and that's the really important thing :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
You have worked really hard this year across your school work and work experience, and regardless of what your result is tomorrow, as you say, you have learned a lot from the experience, and that's the really important thing :smile:

Thank you. I have come to the realisation that AS levels are now highly irrelevant and that in the long run my grade won't matter so I have finally become relaxed and calm.
Thank you. I have come to the realisation that AS levels are now highly irrelevant and that in the long run my grade won't matter so I have finally become relaxed and calm.

So true :smile: It's most important for you to now focus your energies on your exams next year and your application :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
So true :smile: It's most important for you to now focus your energies on your exams next year and your application :smile:

That's very true. I can't wait to get my uni application sent in.
That's very true. I can't wait to get my uni application sent in.

Good luck with it all! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest