OrangeArcher's Procrastination... Motivation to A*A*A Watch

Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by OrangeArcher)
That's very true. I can't wait to get my uni application sent in.
Good luck with it all!
OrangeArcher
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Good luck with it all!
Thank you
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
16/08/2018 - Results Day

This is just a quick update. I somehow managed to get an E in further maths! I am actually so happy considering I thought I would have got a U. I got a B in discrete, an E in further pure and a U in mechanics (well done me for forgetting formulas during that exam). I'm slightly disappointed with my EPQ grade as I got a B and I was told my work was an A, but oh well.
Little Tail Chaser
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
16/08/2018 - Results Day

This is just a quick update. I somehow managed to get an E in further maths! I am actually so happy considering I thought I would have got a U. I got a B in discrete, an E in further pure and a U in mechanics (well done me for forgetting formulas during that exam). I'm slightly disappointed with my EPQ grade as I got a B and I was told my work was an A, but oh well.
Eyyyy, all the best people get an E in maths Takes me back that does :moon: :lol:
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
Eyyyy, all the best people get an E in maths Takes me back that does :moon: :lol:
Remember how last year I got a C in French, just like you did We have extremely similar GCSE grades and a very similar AS grade in maths subjects (maths for you, further maths for me)
Little Tail Chaser
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Remember how last year I got a C in French, just like you did We have extremely similar GCSE grades and a very similar AS grade in maths subjects (maths for you, further maths for me)
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Orange :fan::fan:

Must mean that you'll get four vet school offers too? :ninja: Calling it now
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Orange :fan::fan:

Must mean that you'll get four vet school offers too? :ninja: Calling it now
Haha, like I'll even get one offer :lol: I'm thinking of applying to RVC so you may see me there (eventually)
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
31/08/2018

Sorry I haven't updated in ages (I've been doing work experience and revising for upcoming tests). I go back to sixth form on the 4th of September so I should be able to update more often than I have been doing.
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
01/09/2018 - Feeling Down and Unmotivated

So I thought I would update today (even though I'm not feeling the best) as I said I would try my best to do daily updates. I've done a bit of biology revision for my mock exam on Monday but I am nowhere near ready for it and I'm starting to stress a little, okay a lot :headfire::help:. I felt really down and unmotivated during year 12 and as soon as I broke up for the summer holidays I felt so much better, relaxed and spent my time enjoying my work experience, however, the feeling of dread and helplessness is starting to come back and plague my mind. I'm feeling pretty *****y and useless and that I'm not good enough for veterinary medicine and that all this hard work is going to be for nothing as I know I'm not going to get an offer. Everything seems so pointless and no matter how much I want to succeed it just feels like it's hopeless and that I'm destined to fail. I just don't have any idea what I should do anymore as it is getting to the point where I'm making myself feel sick with fear and dread about whatever is to come. I also keep getting knocked down for trying to apply to Cambridge and it just seems like there is no point in me even bothering and the only reason I am persevering is because of some great veterinary medicine applicants/students (you know who you are so thank you ).

Sorry for the depressing rant, I just needed to get a little bit of the pain and stress out.
Anderson2727
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

So I thought I would update today (even though I'm not feeling the best) as I said I would try my best to do daily updates. I've done a bit of biology revision for my mock exam on Monday but I am nowhere near ready for it and I'm starting to stress a little, okay a lot :headfire::help:. I felt really down and unmotivated during year 12 and as soon as I broke up for the summer holidays I felt so much better, relaxed and spent my time enjoying my work experience, however, the feeling of dread and helplessness is starting to come back and plague my mind. I'm feeling pretty *****y and useless and that I'm not good enough for veterinary medicine and that all this hard work is going to be for nothing as I know I'm not going to get an offer. Everything seems so pointless and no matter how much I want to succeed it just feels like it's hopeless and that I'm destined to fail. I just don't have any idea what I should do anymore as it is getting to the point where I'm making myself feel sick with fear and dread about whatever is to come. I also keep getting knocked down for trying to apply to Cambridge and it just seems like there is no point in me even bothering and the only reason I am persevering is because of some great veterinary medicine applicants/students (you know who you are so thank you ).

Sorry for the depressing rant, I just needed to get a little bit of the pain and stress out.
Hey,

Veterinary Medicine is a tough profession. Unfortunately, this means that the journey to Vet School is also very tough and stressful. It may feel like it is getting out of your hands but now is the time to use the resilience and determination, that a good vet is, to continue to fight for your place at Vet school.

You have also shown so much commitment to the profession from the amount of WEX that you have done - it is more than impressive!! It would be a real shame to give up or to lose faith in yourself at this last hurdle as any vet school would want an ideal applicant like you!

As someone who is going to start at Cambridge Vet School this October, I believe you have a really good chance of deserving a place here!

Keep the end goal in your mind, believe in yourself and you will succeed on this journey.

I am rooting for you! 🐾
Presence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

hi , i was wondering how did you get so much work experience? how did you find the opportunity to workat a hospital for a week etc??? i can only find jobs as a waiter hmmm, i want to be an ecconomist/accountant something related to that how can i find work experience??

Introduction

Hello guys, I'm back with another GYG blog (after my failure of Year 12 ), however, this is for 2018-2019 and this blog will cover my Year 13 journey. I plan on updating this one on a daily basis (until the last day of my exams) and I know I said I was going to do that with my Year 12 GYG blog but life got in the way and I didn't do that at all so .

If anyone is interested in reading through my train-wreck of a GYG blog from 2017-2018 then here's the link https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4907734

Academic Information

This is definitely the part of everyone else's GYG blog that I like to read.

GCSEs (2015-2017)

4A*s, 6As, 1B and 1C
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Art - A*
English Literature - 8
Mathematics - 7
English Language - 7
Physics - A
ICT - D2
Geography - A
RE - A
Further Mathematics - B
French - C

AS-Levels (2017-2018)

AQA Biology (Internal) - B - doing another exam in September
AQA Chemistry (Internal) - D - doing another exam in September
OCR Mathematics (Internal) - C
OCR Further Mathematics (External) - E (Thought I had got a U tbh)
AQA EPQ on Mastitis and Antibiotics (External) - B (A bit annoyed as my work was meant to be an A, but oh well)

There were quite a few incidences at my school and sixth form which didn't help during my AS year so I'm hoping I can do better in my second year.

A-Levels (2018-2019)

AQA Biology (prediction) - A* (if I get a high A on my September exam)
AQA Chemistry (prediction) - A* (if I get a high A on my September exam)
OCR Mathematics (prediction) - A (apparently I can't add and subtract properly which is why I got a C in my AS mock )

I am aiming for A*AA - A*A*A*

Interests

Some of you are probably wondering what I'm interested in so here's that. I absolutely love animals (except spiders - I love watching tarantula feeding videos on YouTube but I can't hold one :ahhhhh:) and I own 2 dogs (black labrador x GSD & flat-coated retriever mix), 4 guinea pigs, 6 hermit crabs and some fish . I also really enjoy doing archery and playing tennis. I love The Hunger Games, The 100 and The Big Bang Theory so if you want to talk about that with me you can .

Aspirations

I've always wanted to be a vet so that is my main goal and purpose of this GYG blog so I can document and motivate (as my title suggests) my revision and schoolwork to make sure I am working hard and studying smartly. I would adore to study at the University of Surrey (I attended the Widening Participation Summer School and did the Veterinary Medicine and Sciences Summer School) as the vet school just feels right for me, however, life may not go that smoothly so I would just love to be accepted by any university to study veterinary medicine.

Work Experience

I have completed this work experience so far:

Animal Husbandry:

~ 6 weeks volunteering at Blue Cross by September/October (for over a year)
~ 6 weeks at a dairy farm by September/October (for over a year)
1 week at a guinea pig/rabbit/tortoise rescue
2.6 weeks lambing
1 day at an abattoir
1 week equestrian centre

Total: ~16.8 weeks

Clinical:

~ 18 weeks in a mixed practice 1 by September/October (for 3 and a half years)
1 week in a mixed practice 2
1 week in a SA/exotics hospital
1 week in a mixed practice 3 (just seeing SA practice and SA hospital)
1 week in an equine clinic
1 week mixed practice 4
1 day shadowing vet at Blue Cross

Total: ~23 weeks

Booked:

2 afternoons at a post mortem

Total: 0.2 weeks

Overall Total: 40-42 weeks

University

I have started writing my personal statement for veterinary medicine, however, there isn't really much to update for this section so I'm just going to post the unis I have chosen.

1) University of Surrey (AAB) - Veterinary Medicine
2) University of Edinburgh (AAA) - Veterinary Medicine
3) University of Nottingham (AAB) / Royal Veterinary College (AAB-AAA) - Veterinary Medicine
4) University of Cambridge (A*AA) / University of Glasgow (A*AA) - Veterinary Medicine
5) N/A

UPDATED LIST

1) University of Surrey (AAB) - Veterinary Medicine
2) University of Edinburgh (AAA) - Veterinary Medicine
3) University of Nottingham (AAB) / Royal Veterinary College (AAB-AAA) - Veterinary Medicine
4) University of Cambridge - Girton College (A*AA) - Veterinary Medicine
5) N/A[/QUOTE]

I absolutely love their bromance!
Presence
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
16/08/2018 - Results Day

hi i am going to start a level next week, how much did you revise for maths? or other subjects a day? like how long ?
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

:hugs: Just do your best, that's all anyone can ask for. You are clearly very passionate about being a vet and you'll get there somehow even if it isn't in the conventional manner :jumphug:
Try and have a couple of hours off at the end of the day tonight to clear your head before tomorrow.
Regarding Cambridge, it's a risk for anyone, it's frustrating but I guess people are trying to make sure you're being realistic (I get the same for Oxford). I tend to say I know it's a risk but I know I'll regret it if I didn't try it or something along those lines

No need to be sorry for ranting, it's your GYG, you can do as you like!

Posted from TSR Mobile
animalmagic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you want my advice forget about getting an offer this year, if you do it's a bonus, just concentrate on getting the grades you need. A gap year won't hurt and if you get the grades you'll be able to focus totally on your application next year. If you don't get the grades then you can re-sit your A levels, as long as you get what the unis are looking for for re-sit applicants (as some have minimum grades first time round), then you'll have a second chance and be able to apply to most unis (though not all). If you want to do vet med then you can, it just takes longer for some than others to get there. A vet I know resat A levels twice, then did another degree, then did vet med as a graduate. He has had a hugely successful and rewarding career, it just took him a little longer to get there, and it took a whole load of effort and perseverance.

Re Cambridge, don't put pressure on yourself to go there. As a very experienced qualified vet I would never even advise anyone to apply there if they want to have a "normal" veterinary career afterwards. They really don't have a good reputation for producing well rounded and skilled new graduates.

Anderson2727
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by animalmagic)
If you want my advice forget about getting an offer this year, if you do it's a bonus, just concentrate on getting the grades you need. A gap year won't hurt and if you get the grades you'll be able to focus totally on your application next year. If you don't get the grades then you can re-sit your A levels, as long as you get what the unis are looking for for re-sit applicants (as some have minimum grades first time round), then you'll have a second chance and be able to apply to most unis (though not all). If you want to do vet med then you can, it just takes longer for some than others to get there. A vet I know resat A levels twice, then did another degree, then did vet med as a graduate. He has had a hugely successful and rewarding career, it just took him a little longer to get there, and it took a whole load of effort and perseverance.

Re Cambridge, don't put pressure on yourself to go there. As a very experienced qualified vet I would never even advise anyone to apply there if they want to have a "normal" veterinary career afterwards. They really don't have a good reputation for producing well rounded and skilled new graduates.
Unfortunately, I disagree with animalmagic

Of course not getting into Vet school first time round is not the end of the world - far from it - there are so many routes into veterinary as well as resits and reapplying. However, I would think it should still be a main ambition to try get in first time (or get an offer) as the offer itself will not only boost your confidence (which seems to be your weak point) and will also give you extra motivation to work hard to achieve the grades needed! Even if you do not get an offer this year (which from talking to you seems an unlikely scenario) you shouldn't be disheartened as this is a stressful time of year with not just academics and veterinary stuff to deal with.

With regards to Cambridge Vet School, I think it is actually quite rude to be putting it down without any actual justifications. I believe unless you have experienced Cambridge Vet School yourself, it is impossible to give/listen to these opinions. Of course there is a rumour that Cambridge is not as practical as some vet schools - but it is just that, a rumour! One of the main strengths of Cambridge is how practical they are, along with small class sizes for a more personalised teaching and the infamous supervisions which I think are the best method to truly learn/revise the content. If Cambridge was also not even worth applying, I am sure the RCVS would have picked up on any legitimate reasons; however, Cambridge still remains accredited - with no fear whatsoever of losing it.

Yes, there will be bad Cambridge vets, but there are bad vets produced from ALL of the vet schools. To say that a vet school only produces either good or bad vets is 100% a lie. I also think in the accepting and better society we live in today we would no longer be listening to stereotyping. It is wrong to stereotype Cambridge vets as not "well rounded" or "skilled" and I personally think that if a vet practice would adhere to listening to such stereotypes then it says more about them than Cambridge vets. Nobody should be judged or labelled about anything - including which vet school they go.

If you are destined to be a great vet, you will achieve this regardless of which vet school you go.
animalmagic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Did I say that Cambridge wasn't worth applying to? No, I didn't. I said that I didn't advise anyone to apply there if they wanted a "normal" veterinary career afterwards. I also didn't say that any vet school produced 100% good vets or 100% bad vets, I have no idea where you got that from. Over my 30+ years as a qualified vet I have worked with Cambridge vets, I have been to CPD given by Cambridge vets and I have employed Cambridge vets. I also have friends who are Cambridge vets. At no point have I stereotyped anybody. In my post I was trying to help OrangeArcher and take the pressure off them a little, to hopefully help them achieve their potential this year and become the vet they are so desperate to be. I do not judge or label anybody, I try to help all students that cross my path achieve what they want to achieve.

It is true that you can be a "great" vet whatever vet school you go to. You can also qualify and decide clinical practice isn't for you and you want to diversify.

Most vets think that the best uni is the one they went to. You applied to Cambridge and got in, really well done, it's a fantastic achievement, as is getting in to any of the vet schools. I'm sure you'll love it there and you will think it to be the best.

(Original post by Anderson2727)

Of course not getting into Vet school first time round is not the end of the world - far from it - there are so many routes into veterinary as well as resits and reapplying. However, I would think it should still be a main ambition to try get in first time (or get an offer) as the offer itself will not only boost your confidence (which seems to be your weak point) and will also give you extra motivation to work hard to achieve the grades needed! Even if you do not get an offer this year (which from talking to you seems an unlikely scenario) you shouldn't be disheartened as this is a stressful time of year with not just academics and veterinary stuff to deal with.

With regards to Cambridge Vet School, I think it is actually quite rude to be putting it down without any actual justifications. I believe unless you have experienced Cambridge Vet School yourself, it is impossible to give/listen to these opinions. Of course there is a rumour that Cambridge is not as practical as some vet schools - but it is just that, a rumour! One of the main strengths of Cambridge is how practical they are, along with small class sizes for a more personalised teaching and the infamous supervisions which I think are the best method to truly learn/revise the content. If Cambridge was also not even worth applying, I am sure the RCVS would have picked up on any legitimate reasons; however, Cambridge still remains accredited - with no fear whatsoever of losing it.

Yes, there will be bad Cambridge vets, but there are bad vets produced from ALL of the vet schools. To say that a vet school only produces either good or bad vets is 100% a lie. I also think in the accepting and better society we live in today we would no longer be listening to stereotyping. It is wrong to stereotype Cambridge vets as not "well rounded" or "skilled" and I personally think that if a vet practice would adhere to listening to such stereotypes then it says more about them than Cambridge vets. Nobody should be judged or labelled about anything - including which vet school they go.

If you are destined to be a great vet, you will achieve this regardless of which vet school you go.
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
Hey,

Veterinary Medicine is a tough profession. Unfortunately, this means that the journey to Vet School is also very tough and stressful. It may feel like it is getting out of your hands but now is the time to use the resilience and determination, that a good vet is, to continue to fight for your place at Vet school.

You have also shown so much commitment to the profession from the amount of WEX that you have done - it is more than impressive!! It would be a real shame to give up or to lose faith in yourself at this last hurdle as any vet school would want an ideal applicant like you!

As someone who is going to start at Cambridge Vet School this October, I believe you have a really good chance of deserving a place here!

Keep the end goal in your mind, believe in yourself and you will succeed on this journey.

I am rooting for you! 🐾
Thank you . I am really hoping that I can get myself together and aim for this final hurdle and succeed.

(Original post by Presence)

hi , i was wondering how did you get so much work experience? how did you find the opportunity to workat a hospital for a week etc??? i can only find jobs as a waiter hmmm, i want to be an ecconomist/accountant something related to that how can i find work experience??
I searched online for work experience placements that I wanted to do (e.g. work at an abattoir) and then emailed, phoned or visited each place in person. Expect rejection as quite a lot of places aren't keen on taking work experience students (although I only had a couple who said no). Good luck with finding work experience .

hi i am going to start a level next week, how much did you revise for maths? or other subjects a day? like how long ?
I don't know how much time I spent revising for maths each day (or any of my subjects) as some days I felt really productive and other days I just couldn't be bothered. I spent majority of my frees revising/working, same with lunch and then did between an hour or a few hours each night after sixth form. I did far too many subjects last year (first year of 3 a-levels, an AS level, and an EPQ) and then also spent my time doing work experience each week so I just tried doing as much work as possible when I had the time to.

(Original post by Lemur14)
:hugs: Just do your best, that's all anyone can ask for. You are clearly very passionate about being a vet and you'll get there somehow even if it isn't in the conventional manner :jumphug:
Try and have a couple of hours off at the end of the day tonight to clear your head before tomorrow.
Regarding Cambridge, it's a risk for anyone, it's frustrating but I guess people are trying to make sure you're being realistic (I get the same for Oxford). I tend to say I know it's a risk but I know I'll regret it if I didn't try it or something along those lines

No need to be sorry for ranting, it's your GYG, you can do as you like!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you . I don't necessarily have my heart set on Cambridge (I love all the vet schools I have chosen) so if I get rejected then I suppose I'm not suitable for that kind of environment. Good luck with applying to Oxford for maths/maths and statistics .

(Original post by animalmagic)

I don't have my heart set on Cambridge but I know that I would enjoy the small year size and intercalating is appealing to me (I like that everyone on the vet med course would intercalate at Cambridge). I think my dream university would be Surrey but I am just aiming for one offer as I have to be realistic. I will definitely be applying this year as I would rather not take a year out, unless I really have to. Thank you for the advice .

I definitely understand where you are coming from with regards to not getting an offer this year. I'll just have to try my best and if my best isn't good enough then I will reapply.
Presence
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
you can do work experience every week? is it in a hospital? cool, i thought there were only work experience in summer holidays
i also have 5 a LEVELS this year i will do maths , further maths (As), psychology,economics,english Lit ( i might drop this after year 12 too i dont know yet)
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
you can do work experience every week? is it in a hospital? cool, i thought there were only work experience in summer holidays
i also have 5 a LEVELS this year i will do maths , further maths (As), psychology,economics,english Lit ( i might drop this after year 12 too i dont know yet)
I did 3 hours in a vets after sixth form most Fridays (started doing this in February 2015), roughly 7 hours at a dairy farm on a Saturday (started in July 2017), and then 5 hours volunteering at Blue Cross every Sunday (started in August 2017). I also spent my half term holidays and other school holidays doing work experience.
FutureMissMRCS
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Do you have any pets?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (82)
16.21%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (52)
10.28%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (92)
18.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (75)
14.82%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (53)
10.47%
How can I be the best version of myself? (152)
30.04%

Watched Threads