OrangeArcher's Procrastination... Motivation to A*A*A Watch

OrangeArcher
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by FutureMissMRCS)
I think I would really enjoy doing medicine too,I hope things work out grade wise though :/4+ hours that is a really long time-that is definitely determination :lol: I'm glad you enjoyed your work experience!Are you doing anymore whilst in A2?
I'm sure you will get an offer, your grades and work experience are amazing. I will be continuing work experience at the dairy farm on a Saturday and volunteering at Blue Cross on a Sunday until I get my university application in and then I think I'm going to stop. I will continue to go to the mixed practice that I've been going to for 3 and a half years on a Friday after school/sixth form as they said they will help me with mock interviews etc. I may go and do a bit more lambing (I loved that placement) for a day or two but other than that I am going to focus all my energy on a-levels and trying to get at least 2A*s and an A. Will you just be volunteering at the hospital?
FutureMissMRCS
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by OrangeArcher)
I'm sure you will get an offer, your grades and work experience are amazing. I will be continuing work experience at the dairy farm on a Saturday and volunteering at Blue Cross on a Sunday until I get my university application in and then I think I'm going to stop. I will continue to go to the mixed practice that I've been going to for 3 and a half years on a Friday after school/sixth form as they said they will help me with mock interviews etc. I may go and do a bit more lambing (I loved that placement) for a day or two but other than that I am going to focus all my energy on a-levels and trying to get at least 2A*s and an A. Will you just be volunteering at the hospital?
Thank you You're so diligent-with all this volunteering and work experience you're carrying out!What kind of things do you do in your work experience in lambing?3.5 years is a really long time-you're so committed to vet med-I really do hope you'll get in!Im starting very soon and Im really excited-not sure but might go back to the care home every now and again but not 100% sure if I will,Im planning on doing 2-3 hours per week volunteering in the hospital.
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
Thank you You're so diligent-with all this volunteering and work experience you're carrying out!What kind of things do you do in your work experience in lambing?3.5 years is a really long time-you're so committed to vet med-I really do hope you'll get in!Im starting very soon and Im really excited-not sure but might go back to the care home every now and again but not 100% sure if I will,Im planning on doing 2-3 hours per week volunteering in the hospital.
Thank you. During my lambing placement I did a variety of things, including, taking care of ewes and lambs (feeding etc.); Vaccinating; ringing (using rubber bands to cut the circulation off on the tail and testicles - castration); and marking ewes and lambs (using marking spray); Helping move ewes and lambs to different fields; feeding pet lambs - using teats and oesophageal tubes (into their stomachs); Lambing lambs (both supervised and unsupervised).

I thin you will really enjoy your hospital volunteering. Have you thought about starting a GYG blog?
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thank you. During my lambing placement I did a variety of things, including, taking care of ewes and lambs (feeding etc.); Vaccinating; ringing (using rubber bands to cut the circulation off on the tail and testicles - castration); and marking ewes and lambs (using marking spray); Helping move ewes and lambs to different fields; feeding pet lambs - using teats and oesophageal tubes (into their stomachs); Lambing lambs (both supervised and unsupervised).

I thin you will really enjoy your hospital volunteering. Have you thought about starting a GYG blog?
Wow-that's a lot of things!During my placement- I was only allowed to watch and not allowed to touch anything :lol: your placement sounded very hands on-Im so shocked they allowed you to vaccinate the lambs and some of the other things!

I hope I will do too I thought about starting it,but Im worried it will be too much pressure and worried I wouldn't keep it up to date.
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
Wow-that's a lot of things!During my placement- I was only allowed to watch and not allowed to touch anything :lol: your placement sounded very hands on-Im so shocked they allowed you to vaccinate the lambs and some of the other things!

I hope I will do too I thought about starting it,but Im worried it will be too much pressure and worried I wouldn't keep it up to date.
The vet practices aren't very hands on but when it comes to placements like lambing/dairy work then they expect you to handle the animals etc. as you are helping the farmer.

I had a GYG blog last year and it was a shambles as I just updated it sporadically
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The vet practices aren't very hands on but when it comes to placements like lambing/dairy work then they expect you to handle the animals etc. as you are helping the farmer.

I had a GYG blog last year and it was a shambles as I just updated it sporadically
That's cool Was it hard to find work experience ? So Im not too sure about doing my own gyg?
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
That's cool Was it hard to find work experience ? So Im not too sure about doing my own gyg?
I had a few rejections but I found it quite easy to get work experience but I know others who have found it quite hard to get work experience. The abattoir and post mortem lab were probably the hardest to get.
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I had a few rejections but I found it quite easy to get work experience but I know others who have found it quite hard to get work experience. The abattoir and post mortem lab were probably the hardest to get.
:eek: What was work experience like in an abattoir?Im a vegetarian so not sure I would be able to do work experience in a slaughterhouse. It is good you managed to find it so easily
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
:eek: What was work experience like in an abattoir?Im a vegetarian so not sure I would be able to do work experience in a slaughterhouse. It is good you managed to find it so easily
I found it very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed the experience (That makes me sound like a psycho but it was so cool to be able to analyse each organ for parasites etc. and also see the process from a live animal to a carcass)
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I found it very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed the experience (That makes me sound like a psycho but it was so cool to be able to analyse each organ for parasites etc. and also see the process from a live animal to a carcass)
So did you get to see the animal being killed or not..?Sorry weird question I enjoy watching surgery a lot and the whole slicing and dicing but wouldn't be able to watch animals getting slaughtered personally..
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
So did you get to see the animal being killed or not..?Sorry weird question I enjoy watching surgery a lot and the whole slicing and dicing but wouldn't be able to watch animals getting slaughtered personally..
Yep, I saw a couple of hundred animals being slaughtered but there is a vet on site during slaughtering hours to make sure that they are killed humanely and don't arrive with injuries before being slaughtered.
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yep, I saw a couple of hundred animals being slaughtered but there is a vet on site during slaughtering hours to make sure that they are killed humanely and don't arrive with injuries before being slaughtered.
Did you not find it distressing to watch at all and were the animals in distress?
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
Did you not find it distressing to watch at all and were the animals in distress?
It was distressing to watch but the animals were stunned beforehand so they shouldn't have felt anything.
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It was distressing to watch but the animals were stunned beforehand so they shouldn't have felt anything.
Oh,that must have been an interesting experience to watch though.
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
Oh,that must have been an interesting experience to watch though.
It definitely was. One thing that annoyed me was that everything was quite low down and I'm a guy who is roughly 6'4" so my back ended up hurting quite a bit.
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It definitely was. One thing that annoyed me was that everything was quite low down and I'm a guy who is roughly 6'4" so my back ended up hurting quite a bit.
Wow-you're really tall!!One thing that was a bit of a pain in my work experience was the amount of standing up and walking I had to do-but it was worth it
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
Wow-you're really tall!!One thing that was a bit of a pain in my work experience was the amount of standing up and walking I had to do-but it was worth it
I was constantly stood up at all the placements I've been to but every minute was definitely worth it
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
03/09/2018 - Day before going back to sixth form

So this is my last update before I officially start year 13 (we started year 13 work before the summer holidays but I was still technically in year 12) tomorrow and I'm somewhat terrified as I can't believe I'm going into my final year of state education. I am not looking forward to tomorrow as I apparently have double biology, maths, and double chemistry so I'm not being eased in nicely (to say the least). I was meant to have my biology mock today but it has been moved to later on this week so all the stressing/panicking and all the work that I did yesterday were somewhat not needed (well they it needed to be done but I could have chilled a little). My chemistry mock is next Tuesday (11th September) so at least I have more time to revise for that as well. I went out with one of my friends today and walked a friends' dog and then had a costa and did a bit of shopping (by shopping I mean we bought some Pringles, Ritz Crackers, and then I spent far too much money on my guinea pigs, and also on school supplies). I'm in the process of tidying my room and packing my school bag but I haven't done anymore of my personal statement (although I ought to). I think this is everything that I need to update about today so see you guys tomorrow for the next proper update.
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
03/09/2018 - Day before going back to sixth form

So this is my last update before I officially start year 13 (we started year 13 work before the summer holidays but I was still technically in year 12) tomorrow and I'm somewhat terrified as I can't believe I'm going into my final year of state education. I am not looking forward to tomorrow as I apparently have double biology, maths, and double chemistry so I'm not being eased in nicely (to say the least). I was meant to have my biology mock today but it has been moved to later on this week so all the stressing/panicking and all the work that I did yesterday were somewhat not needed (well they it needed to be done but I could have chilled a little). My chemistry mock is next Tuesday (11th September) so at least I have more time to revise for that as well. I went out with one of my friends today and walked a friends' dog and then had a costa and did a bit of shopping (by shopping I mean we bought some Pringles, Ritz Crackers, and then I spent far too much money on my guinea pigs, and also on school supplies). I'm in the process of tidying my room and packing my school bag but I haven't done anymore of my personal statement (although I ought to). I think this is everything that I need to update about today so see you guys tomorrow for the next proper update.
I'm also terrified of going into year 13😓 I'm worried that the content will be a lot harder and how I will manage the workload. I'm really panicked about this being the last year of official school 😱I'm also really worried about exams coming up. Good luck with your mocks
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
I'm also terrified of going into year 13😓 I'm worried that the content will be a lot harder and how I will manage the workload. I'm really panicked about this being the last year of official school 😱I'm also really worried about exams coming up. Good luck with your mocks
Thanks, I'm not hugely worried as I know that I am not going to have to juggle anywhere near as many things this year as I did last year but I am still not looking forward to the harder content and remembering all the AS content as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads