It seems that many 'good traits' are seen negatively when females adopt them but why

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
To me it seems that there are a lot of 'good traits' are often deemed unattractive, when females obtain them. For example if women enjoy gaining a bit of muscle its often seen as unattractive but no reason is given other than the word 'unfeminine'. Even from a biological perspective surely a female having muscle is a good thing, it won't affect fertility, increases bone strength (incl many benefits of exercise), would assist her with survival and even protecting any children.

There are others such as having a strong brave personality (surely a good thing in evolution terms) but its more the above Im curious about.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's less of a 'trait' and more of a 'look'. Being motivated, driven etc. is an attractive trait and so is keeping fit but when you start developing a traditionally male body it's not surprising many hetero guys will be put off.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Student-95)
That's less of a 'trait' and more of a 'look'. Being motivated, driven etc. is an attractive trait and so is keeping fit but when you start developing a traditionally male body it's not surprising many hetero guys will be put off.
It will never be a male body though, even traditionally, firstly it will have a female shape and secondly most men are not muscly. Females naturally gain muscle (though lesser extent than men) if the body as exerted therefore it must be as much a feminine trait as masculine trait. I don't see how even in evolutionary terms having muscle would be disadvantageous when males are seeking female mates.
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't mind a woman with a little muscle on her - as long as it's not to the serious bodybuilder "extent" I don't admire that look on either women nor men - but if it's just a little toned or a tad bit more then that's fine in my books/ actually preferred. I am guessing a lot of people don't like it though as it goes a little against evolution, that being that men should be the stronger species and should be the protectors.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It will never be a male body though, even traditionally, firstly it will have a female shape and secondly most men are not muscly. Females naturally gain muscle (though lesser extent than men) if the body as exerted therefore it must be as much a feminine trait as masculine trait. I don't see how even in evolutionary terms having muscle would be disadvantageous when males are seeking female mates.
It's not about being disadvantageous from a practical point of view it's about aesthetics. It doesn't look good (as far as most men are concerned)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Student-95)
It's not about being disadvantageous from a practical point of view it's about aesthetics. It doesn't look good (as far as most men are concerned)
Thats what I mean though humans are generally hardwired to find disadvantageous characteristics unattractive (obesity, illness, infertility etc) and advantageous characteristics (those which would contribute to survival of the species) as attractive. You would think that physical strength would be advantageous to females (for hard labour lifestyle/protecting children) yet it is seen as unattractive by males.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thats what I mean though humans are generally hardwired to find disadvantageous characteristics unattractive (obesity, illness, infertility etc) and advantageous characteristics (those which would contribute to survival of the species) as attractive. You would think that physical strength would be advantageous to females (for hard labour lifestyle/protecting children) yet it is seen as unattractive by males.
Maybe cavemen found it attractive but a muscular girlfriend isn't beneficial these days, just less attractive
ki55mynuts
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
LOOL what are you talking about? Girls that work out are fking HOT. Girls can gain muscle all they want, I find it very attractive. What I don't find attractive is when women start pumping anabolic steroids into their body to achieve similar kind of muscle development that men achieve naturally, or even try get bigger.

You comment about how it would be beneficial to women to assist with her survival and protect her children. This is very wrong, women would protect their children from MEN and wild animals. This was a very different time, where weak men would die off (not like today's weak/skinny or really fat men), thus women stood absolutely no chance against men/wild animals. There would be no use in building muscle, therefore women developed a tend and befriend response to acute stressors, as opposed to the fight or flight response in men.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a societal and evolutionary thing. Men have a predisposition to being the dominant gender and social factors over millennia have associated things like being petite as being feminine factors.

From a personal point of view i find dedication to health and fitness an attractive trait but although i like upper body musculature (abs to some degree, arm muscle, back muscle) i am not a fan of women who get a large ass and thighs.

So the current obsession with squats and related things are not really my flavour for women (not that they are unattractive per say).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads