Agent007
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Pissing myself over results day. Is Birmingham Uni lenient for Computer Science, when I went there one of the lecturer's said that if i drop by one grade it probably won't matter.

Entry requirements are AAA but I think I might get ABB (worst case scenario BBB)
My sister's friend got into law for Birmigham Uni with EED for Law when the requirements are AAA. Would I still have a chance? Anyone got stories of getting into Birmingham Uni with lower grades that required?
eljipao.decafe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Agent007)
Pissing myself over results day. Is Birmingham Uni lenient for Computer Science, when I went there one of the lecturer's said that if i drop by one grade it probably won't matter.

Entry requirements are AAA but I think I might get ABB (worst case scenario BBB)
My sister's friend got into law for Birmigham Uni with EED for Law when the requirements are AAA. Would I still have a chance? Anyone got stories of getting into Birmingham Uni with lower grades that required?
I'm interested to know this as well. I've applied for general engineering at Birmingham University which have AAB requirements and I'm very worried about my grades.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Birmingham are an institution who are commercially driven to fill their courses, so if it were me I'd be optimistic. But you have no way of knowing until results day. Doesn't matter how much you worry right now - it won't make a difference.

Best of luck!
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's already a thread on this exact topic! Same year, same course, same uni. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5414870
Either way, it shows a lot of people are concerned about meeting their grades so your *certainly* not the only one in the same situation! I'm also applying for this course, and know although I didn't post in the last thread, I am worrying a lot about the grades!

While I can't say anything about the leniency itself, it is notable that Birmingham had been dropping a bit in the tables for CS, so you never know! (they went back up a bit this year)
Samiik
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The CS course is in clearing this year and idk if that helps but maybe?
Agent007
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Samiik)
The CS course is in clearing this year and idk if that helps but maybe?
It's in clearing? I checked the website and they didn't have CS in the list, they actually had very few subject on the list
Samiik
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's in clearing? I checked the website and they didn't have CS in the list, they actually had very few subject on the list
I checked the list about a week ago and i thought they were but ive checked again and theyre not so i could be wrong. My bad.
LorenaAR
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hey pal,
I'll tell you my situation as I had a similar worry on a different course, but in the end I got accepted on the 3rd of August ( I'm from Spain and did the European Bac rather than A levels so they had my grades in early July ).
I applied for Modern Languages starting in September was offered 8 average , 6 Maths , 8 English and a 7 in German. I did quite well overall, but funny enough I ended up missing my grade in my German Exam by 0.13 / 10 , ended up with a 6.87 so quite narrowly.
I phoned them up several times talked to teachers about my grades etc and they all said the same thing, if it's a narrow miss there's a chance you'll get in.
I'm not sure how big the difference between an AAA and a ABB, but I honestly think you shouldn't have much of a problem getting in. Either way don't doubt yourself. You might be surprise when you get the grades in a few days.

Good luck pal !
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you discover their leniency in the end?
aminou1699
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,I was in a similar situation before results day, especially since my course being History and Political Science was not in clearing and that it is one of the popular couses. I needed 3 As but in the end I got ABB and still got in. Also I needed an A in History but I got a B. I think they can be pretty lenient.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago

EED when the requirements were AAA I thought unis let people drop by a few grades but not that much. How did it go for you?
UoB - Arts and Law
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
EED when the requirements were AAA I thought unis let people drop by a few grades but not that much. How did it go for you?
Hi there, just to clarify, to study Law at Birmingham we require AAA. It would be incredibly unlikely for someone with A Levels of EED to be made an offer for our programmes, unless they had very specific circumstances - hope that helps.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UoB - Arts and Law)
Hi there, just to clarify, to study Law at Birmingham we require AAA. It would be incredibly unlikely for someone with A Levels of EED to be made an offer for our programmes, unless they had very specific circumstances - hope that helps.
Hi,
Is it universal across the different schools of university of Birmingham to accept people if they have lower grades. If I was rejected on results day but had extenuating circumstances would I be able to phone the uni and gain an offer for a healthcare course?
UoB - Arts and Law
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
Is it universal across the different schools of university of Birmingham to accept people if they have lower grades. If I was rejected on results day but had extenuating circumstances would I be able to phone the uni and gain an offer for a healthcare course?
It varies across the University, and depends on the year in question and how many students that have applied have met the terms of their offer. We are not able to guarantee a place if the conditions of the offer aren’t met. If you feel that there is anything you would like to submit to support your application, in terms of extenuating circumstances, you can send this to Admissions to attach to your application. They can sometimes take extenuating circumstances into account for offer-holders who just miss out on the requirements. If you have any further queries like this I would advise contacting the department directly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (109)
14.53%
My mental health (110)
14.67%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.93%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
18%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.87%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.67%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads