A person can be gay without wanting intercourse? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So... For one, I am straight. Typically not interested in anyone or whatever but I had this conversation with someone and it got me incredibly confused.

I grew up thinking that gay=sex. Because that's what everyone talks about.

But now .. I wonder wouldn't someone who is just interested in being romantically involved or who loves the same sex, gay? Even if no intercourse was present or wanted? Like can't a gay couple just love each other and want to be with the other with no sex included or is that just a no?
They can be in a relationship together and love each other right?
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Well yes but sooner or later you'll have sex. If you have a girlfriend, you'll have sexwith her. Doesnt matter if it's tomorrow or in a year or ten years.
Same with gays, I presume
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There are too many names for all manner of different things people do or don’t do with their partners.

Gay/homosexual typically describes the tendency to be attracted to the same sex, with or without sexual intercourse involved. However everyone experiences all sorts of feelings at one point or another it doesn’t necessarily mean someone will identify as homosexual. If they live together as a same sex couple whether they do or do not have sex, they’re still a gay couple
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Little Popcorns)
There are too many names for all manner of different things people do or don’t do with their partners.

Gay/homosexual typically describes the tendency to be attracted to the same sex, with or without sexual intercourse involved. However everyone experiences all sorts of feelings at one point or another it doesn’t necessarily someone identifies as homosexual.
How do lesbians have sex??
just curious-never really thought about it.
Little Popcorns
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How do lesbians have sex??
just curious-never really thought about it.
They touch front bums
Anonymous #3
Report 7 months ago
Tim Gunn (Project Runway) is gay but celibate. I think gay or straight, you can have feelings for someone but not be interested in sex.
Anonymous #2
Report 7 months ago
So not all lesbians would have engaged in sex right?

I know a Lesbian who is quite masculine-don't know about her other half though.
Khajiitgrace
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It’s just the same as straight people for gay people. You don’t go into a relationship with a sole aim that you wanna have sex you just go into a relationship because you are attracted to a person.
Anonymous #2
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Khajiitgrace)
It’s just the same as straight people for gay people. You don’t go into a relationship with a sole aim that you wanna have sex you just go into a relationship because you are attracted to a person.
Couldnt have put it any better myself!
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You can also be asexual without being aromantic, i.e you experience romantic attraction, but aren't sexually attracted to anyone.
mikky46
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It seems we're straying off topic! The topic is 'Can someone be gay without wanting INTERCOURSE?' The poster is right that 'gay' is usually equated with 'sex'. But sex doesn't necessarily mean intercourse! However, it's wrong to assume that gay people and straight people feel differently. ANYONE can have a relationship with ANYONE without wanting intercourse. I had a gay relationship for eight years and we never even talked about intercourse - it was something neither of us wanted to do, but we could still be close and intimate without it.
In any relationship, same sex or not, it's about mutual decisions, and whatever a couple feels is right for them will be the right thing to do.
Anonymous #4
Report 7 months ago
Do you mean like asexual gay people? They exist. Romantic relationships with no sex.
mikky46
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
"Do you mean like asexual gay people? They exist. Romantic relationships with no sex."

Of course! But sticking labels on people is not helpful. In my 8-year relationship, we had lots of sex, but no intercourse, which is normally taken to mean penetrative sex. Technically, you could have, for example, oral intercourse, or pedal intercourse for those with a foot fetish, but normally intercourse is short for penetrative sex, gay or straight. Whatever a loving couple wish to do (or not do!) in their relationship should be a mutual decision, which enables both of them to get maximum pleasure from the relationship, and will very often defy the bounds of definition.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by mikky46)
"Do you mean like asexual gay people? They exist. Romantic relationships with no sex."

Of course! But sticking labels on people is not helpful. In my 8-year relationship, we had lots of sex, but no intercourse, which is normally taken to mean penetrative sex. Technically, you could have, for example, oral intercourse, or pedal intercourse for those with a foot fetish, but normally intercourse is short for penetrative sex, gay or straight. Whatever a loving couple wish to do (or not do!) in their relationship should be a mutual decision, which enables both of them to get maximum pleasure from the relationship, and will very often defy the bounds of definition.
I see. I was meaning like does there have to be sexual relations to be considered gay even if they don't want that and just want to be together as a couple
mikky46
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I see. I was meaning like does there have to be sexual relations to be considered gay even if they don't want that and just want to be together as a couple
I( would say that any same sex couple living together would be considered gay,because it's love,.or at least affection, for someone of the same sex. Physical sex, at whatever level, is irrelevant, imo.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
They might be Homoromantic if they don't have any sexual desire for other men but enter relationships.
snugglebear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
what do you mean by "typically?"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (146)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.91%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (133)
16.9%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.36%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (240)
30.5%

Watched Threads