The Student Room Group

Interested in SocSci PhD - have the requisite quals, but they're old and I'm rusty

Hello!

I'm a mature student (33) with 3 existing degrees:

BA Sociology (2.1, ex-poly uni, 2006)
MA Sociology (Merit, redbrick uni, 2008)
BSc Social Policy & Criminology (2.1, Open University, 2015)

I can't shake the study bug, and feel I am now ready to take the PhD plunge. I must note that I would be studying for 1) a genuine contribution to the field and 2) a lifelong passion for the social sciences - i.e. I am not interested in a career in academia, and I do not need doctoral qualifications to enhance my career (which is in an unrelated field - and which I love). I'd be self-funding, so not looking for any kind of funding.

However, I wouldn't be looking to apply for at least a year because I am so rusty in research methods, in writing research proposals, etc. The last time I did it was 2007/08, and I've forgotten more than I remember, to be honest. Any research proposal I put together right now would be laughed off the face of the earth by any remotely prestigious (or lesser) university. I don't want to slap something together that'll scrape me entry onto a programme, only to fall at the most basic of hurdles.

For anyone in a similar position (with older studies, and having grown rusty over the years), what did you do to get yourself competent and confident enough to put together a solid doctoral research proposal?

Any good books? Courses? Training avenues? I realise many might have called on ex-tutors and supervisors for support, but I don't have access (haven't met F2F with a university tutor since 2008).

TIA :smile:
Original post by notatall

You are vastly over-estimating the complexity of a research proposal. I wrote one for a Masters at Cam off the back of zero academic study for 15 years, since an undergrad in an entirely unrelated subject. Then did my PhD proposal off the back of the part-time Masters. Just Google 'what makes a good PhD proposal' fill in the blanks for what you want to study (which of course takes a bit of thought, but only reading a few books and thinking a bit) and then look at university departments that have academics that support that line of study. If you aren't having to fit into a research group or funding requirements, your research proposal just has to be internally consistent.

Quick Reply

Latest