How to go about studying in a college in USA and playing college football (soccer) Watch

AmaanMirza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,
So I’m currently about to start my A-levels in September and was thinking about my future, for a while I have been interested in Studying in the USA, after I finish my A-levels and go on to my next step which would be university.

I also have a huge passion for football (soccer), and have seen online that along side studying you can play college football (soccer)

If there is anyone that can point me in the right path on how I can study in the USA and play college football (soccer), it would be a great help. I would like to study videography/ cinematography or something to do in the graphic design industry.

Many thanks

Amaan
Romatron
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think NCAA Soccer is as popular as e.g. (American) Football or Basketball, so there may not be as many appealing scholarships around. You would also need to be playing at a high level currently to be competitive in applying for the best scholarships - I imagine county level as a minimum. The one person I know who got a sports scholarship in the US was a county level athlete before she did her undergraduate degree in the UK, and continued training and competing in it while here, and then went onto a track scholarship for her masters (which wasn't even at a "big" academic name, although it might have been better considered for it's track team and facilities, although she doesn't strike me as the type to forgo the best academic programme she could get to).

In any case, look at what colleges (i.e. universities) in the US have NCAA Division I Soccer teams, as those will be the ones with the best scholarships. In terms of academic "prestige" it's probably Stanford, Duke, UCLA or Berkeley, vs a bunch of unknown (to you anyway) names - and those may not even have div I soccer teams (although I imagine most of them will). Since those are prestigious academically as well as known to have good sports faciltiies/teams, the competition for scholarships there will likely be intense though. As before, a lot of the options are probably better known as sports schools than as good places to get a degree necessarily - this is fine if you wanted to continue in professional soccer in the US, but if you wanted to join a professional football team in the UK there are probably other routes which are better/necessary.

For your intended subject area, design schools tend not to be as represented in NCAA to my knowledge...however on the film side, a very notable exception is USC, which has an extremely well known film school (that tends to supply Hollywood) and at least a regionally well regarded sports representation (as the perennial rivals of UCLA, which itself is well represented in various NCAA brackets). So USC may be of particular interest to look into...
AmaanMirza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much, a lot of info which definitely helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads