Should women Commentate on MOTD?

Watch
Poll: Should there be a female commentator on MOTD?
Yes (42)
36.84%
No (72)
63.16%
This discussion is closed.
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No no no no no! It's like a non league player, suddenly playing in the premiership. She's rubbish.
generalebriety
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by .Ed.)
Whilst the male ones are better , there is nothing wrong with the female commentator.
I have no idea about football, but no... if everyone else is better, there clearly is something wrong with her; she's the worst out of the lot. That's not a comment on her sex, but if she's crap she shouldn't get the job. On the other hand, you might think she's crap simply because it's not what you're used to hearing.
Tut.exe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
not being sexist but i prefer the guys doing it... they are very good at it.
Artemidoros.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
only if they got georgie thompson to lol :teeth:
qgujxj39
Badges: 17
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by iCeCream)
not being sexist but i prefer the guys doing it... they are very good at it.
Erm, what MoTD have you been watching? All the commentators on MoTD are ****. They script the commentary after the game, and any emotion in their voice sounds desperately forced because they know exactly what's about to happen.
Throwback
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by samaleyo)
the whole enthusiasm for the game seems forced to me
This is exactly it, there seems to be no natural passion coming through her voice.
Forté
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Like John Motson. Oh my God. Some of the things he's said in the last couple of years has made people burst out with laughter. It's saddening really.

I want Claire Tomlinson back on Sky. She's fit, and good at the job too. Why does she supports Spurs?
yeh exactly! on both counts lol
Kerny
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i've yet to hear a really good female commentator but I don't really see anything wrong with it (the screeching annoys me a bit though )
i don't think they should put a woman there for the sake of having a female commentator though, only if they really think she's got good enough skills.
Dalimyr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Oh, shut up, of course they should if they're good enough.
:ditto:
As has been mentioned, Jacqui Oatley isn't wonderful, but that's not to say that other women would be as painful to listen to as her. Just because she isn't as good as men who've been doing it for several years (she's been in the job less than a year, remember) isn't a means to dismiss the entire sex from doing the job :s:
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They shouldn't not commentate on MotD, but the one that does is terrible. I'm sure there are multiple better commentators than her.
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Throwback)
This is exactly it, there seems to be no natural passion coming through her voice.
That's the case with Jacqui Oatley, it's as if she's reading from a script or something and her words just don't flow properly. There's nothing wrong with female commentators as long as they're good, Jacqui Oatley isn't one of them.
sebas_back
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rafa)
That's the case with Jacqui Oatley, it's as if she's reading from a script or something and her words just don't flow properly. There's nothing wrong with female commentators as long as they're good, Jacqui Oatley isn't one of them.
What the boss-man said.

EDIT: Boss-man in the sense that he runs our soc; not in terms of the, now deceased, Big Bossman.
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sebas_back)
What the boss-man said.

EDIT: Boss-man in the sense that he runs our soc; not in terms of the, now deceased, Big Bossman.
:teeth:

:vroam:

Spoiler:
Show
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At least she has something going for her.
2nd2god
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In my opinion no from past experiance
they just tend to be annoying and don't really relate with the game.
It's almost like an outsider looking in, we don't want to know things like players ages and their life story.
CJ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
She does 5 live as well? Or past tense?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by <CJ>)
She does 5 live as well? Or past tense?
Still does, just not main games.

Good BBC commentator? Jonathan Pearce.
Rafa
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Still does, just not main games.

Good BBC commentator? Jonathan Pearce.
Roboteers :teeth:
Saff
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If they're good, then yes of course.... same goes for male commentators tho... a **** one is annoying whatever sex they are. Unfortunately, the female ones I've heard (maybe the same one) is ****.
EarlHickey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dont mind women ones but I both hate the token ones and the ladette ones
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (52)
23.85%
Unhappy (58)
26.61%
Conflicted (108)
49.54%

Watched Threads