Should women Commentate on MOTD?

Watch
Poll: Should there be a female commentator on MOTD?
Yes (42)
36.84%
No (72)
63.16%
This discussion is closed.
Llamaaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
no they should not. The voices aren't as easy to listen to, the shouts become screeches and any signs of "enjoyment" seem fake. Absolutely ruins the game.
Forté
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Llamaaa)
no they should not. The voices aren't as easy to listen to, the shouts become screeches and any signs of "enjoyment" seem fake. Absolutely ruins the game.
pfft talk about sexism :rolleyes:
Arnie Pie In The Sky
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would have to hear other women commentate but the one on MOTD is pure bad. Her sense of excitement is quite clearly fake and awkward. It sounds wrong.
Samio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They shouldn't be allowed into football stadiums, never mind actually talk about the game. Football is a release from women, so I don't want to listen to one talking about it. Stick to shopping ladies!

Can't remember which game it was, but she was on Radio 5 Live and came out with something that sounded wronger than sleeping with your mother ... 'Ooh and there it goes, an acrobatic tap-in there ...' Nice one, love.
izaldo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jacqui Oatley's voice goes right through me - but Gabby is fine

If a woman was to commentate, she'd have to have a deeper voice than most otherwise it wouldn't fit
Samio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by izaldo)
Jacqui Oatley's voice goes right through me - but Gabby is fine

If a woman was to commentate, she'd have to have a deeper voice than most otherwise it wouldn't fit
Aah Gabby, I don't mind her to be fair. Then again, she's not an actual commentator is she. It's only like Georgie Thompson on SSN
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If they're as good at the job as their male counterparts then sure, why not?
HOWEVER I think a lot of this kind of work (including radio) has to do with the sound of the voice. If they've got a high-pitched, irritating, bimbo-ish voice that isn't in keeping with the line of work then I would consider that something against them, even if they're running an amazing commentary. You'll never hear a high-pitched newsreader for exactly that reason - it's just impossible to take seriously otherwise.
d0mz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When I turned that brum game on, I just thought it sounded un-natural. Some of the things she was saying was just ridiculous and she was really annoying. So in answer to the question, should women commentate on MOTD, yes. But should that woman commentate on MOTD, no, because she's annoying. :rolleyes:
izaldo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Samio)
They shouldn't be allowed into football stadiums, never mind actually talk about the game. Football is a release from women, so I don't want to listen to one talking about it. Stick to shopping ladies!

Can't remember which game it was, but she was on Radio 5 Live and came out with something that sounded wronger than sleeping with your mother ... 'Ooh and there it goes, an acrobatic tap-in there ...' Nice one, love.
Slight disagreement there! I have to say if i'm stuck in the Main Stand or the Kemmy at the match i'd much rather be sat next to a good looking girl than an arl fella or a camera weilding whopper! Some amazing women in the main stand!
silkman
Report 12 years ago
I would have no problem with a women commentating if she was better than any of the other men or women who wanted to do the job.

It has to be said though that the women who commentated on the fulham match on saturday is not a good commentator. It is natural for women that their voices get "higher" when they get excited - in my opinion this does not sound right on a football highlights program as her voice is changing pitch every minute or so.

It is likely that the bbc employed the female commentator purely because she is a women and they wanted to be seen as moving with the times. However this could be seen as being sexist on their part............

All in all im trying to say that if the women has the job she should have the job on merit and not purely because the bbc want to test the publics reaction to such a situation. Women can and have played a successful part in football entertainment (Gabby Logan presenting and Caroline Cheese on the bbc sport website live text service) but maybe commentating is not their place.............
Samio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Slight disagreement there! I have to say if i'm stuck in the Main Stand or the Kemmy at the match i'd much rather be sat next to a good looking girl than an arl fella or a camera weilding whopper! Some amazing women in the main stand!
ha ha, didn't take long for someone to point out the fit birds that go to matches. That's all well and good, that. But I don't care how good looking a bird is, if she doesn't know that much about football then please, do not talk about it. That's the same with anyone though I guess, nothing worse than someone trying to tell you (as if they were educating you) something about football, when it's clear they know **** all themselves.
Gaara.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Since i have turned to female today then i have no problem with it
until tomorrow that is :p:
Robob
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They are really annoying to listen to, I don't like the shrieks. So no.
izaldo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Samio)
ha ha, didn't take long for someone to point out the fit birds that go to matches. That's all well and good, that. But I don't care how good looking a bird is, if she doesn't know that much about football then please, do not talk about it. That's the same with anyone though I guess, nothing worse than someone trying to tell you (as if they were educating you) something about football, when it's clear they know **** all themselves.
Thing is though 75% of the male population do that, it's not just women by any stretch, it normally happens when England play in a major tournament...
Robob
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Forté)
That's not actually sexism.
Samio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thing is though 75% of the male population do that, it's not just women by any stretch, it normally happens when England play in a major tournament...
True that ... Maybe I'm just a sexist **** then ... It's not my fault honest, most girls in the past have always harped on at me about watching football, then I learn that they are commentating now :mad:
EEEGUY
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They should have female commentators with lower pitched voices, if they have them.

The shrieking voice is annoying, most men see football as their time, no nagging from the other sex. They then go to watch the football and hear that voice for 90 mins.

Its just not right.
Llamaaa
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Forté)
I'm a girl, surely I can say those things?! Maybe if a decent one came along it would be ok, but the one on Match of the Day and the one on radio five live are both awful.
jose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't like the current one on MOTD, but then i don't like any of the current crop of commentators so she doesn't stand out as particularly ****. Just as one **** commentator among many. I think Gabby Logan does a decent job presenting, better than Gary 'the **** pun machine' Lineker anyway.

I'd like to see and hear more of Laura Esposto on tv. Much much more..
RobbieC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sure thing... but not the one with the irritating voice that clearly has a list of keywords in front of her. I'm sure I've met women who'd do a better job.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (52)
24.07%
Unhappy (57)
26.39%
Conflicted (107)
49.54%

Watched Threads