Should women Commentate on MOTD?

Watch
Poll: Should there be a female commentator on MOTD?
Yes (42)
36.84%
No (72)
63.16%
This discussion is closed.
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If they are good enough I don't see a problem with it but the one they had on Match of the day recently was just awful.
eDDeboo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its a load of ****ing *******s and seriously ****s me off big time.
ManUtdFanDean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dont see a reason why they shouldnt, alltho the women on there atm is crap
Tricky_Tree
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
God no, the woman who did the other week's game was awful!
Lefty_P
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Absolutely not. It sounds vile and disgusting. Women's football however is a different ball game. So yes, they can commentate on other women playing football.
ManUtdFanDean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just because the women on there atm is crap doesnt mean they all are
jodie_lee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yesss we should be allowed to - give me the job!! :p:

As someone said earlier, the girls on Sky Sports News are really good, and there have been several good ones, so if they can have women like that on MOTD then what's the issue? Don't be such a caveman and join the 21st century!
theredsox
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If they're good enough, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to.
Some previous poster mentioned listening to a woman for 90 minutes as wrong. Well, mate, you don't have to. This is MOTD we're talking about here.
Socrates
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Katie)
If they're good enough, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to.
Some previous poster mentioned listening to a woman for 90 minutes as wrong. Well, mate, you don't have to. This is MOTD we're talking about here.
Touché :p:

(I agree, btw).
Explosions In The Sky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The one on Match of the day was terrible, the amount of cliches that came gushing from her mouth were just

In answer to the quesiton; i voted yes as its a bit ridiculous to assume all woman commentators will be crap on the basis of that one that does Motd.

The male commentators on setanta are actually horrendous but the Sky Sports one :yy:

Georgie Thompson :love: /offtopic
ManUtdFanDean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Explosions In The Sky)
The one on Match of the day was terrible, the amount of cliches that came gushing from her mouth were just

In answer to the quesiton; i voted yes as its a bit ridiculous to assume all woman commentators will be crap on the basis of that one that does Motd.

The male commentators on setanta are actually horrendous but the Sky Sports one :yy:

Georgie Thompson :love: /offtopic
YES!
Epitomessence
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes they should.

IF

they deserve to.

That woman on MOTD - Jackie Oatley or whatever her name is, is absolutely terrible. She tries far too hard, I still cringe thinking about her first one, it was this Fulham match and she laid on so many statistics I found myself saying "save it for a Maths lesson woman" (and I love Maths), and she piled on the hyperbole and cliché too. Not good.

That said, the other end of the spectrum, the one I myself am at sometimes, with all "OMGz Ronaldo is so fit!!!!!1111111" and "look at Lampard's thighs!!! BUFF!" is far, far worse.

We need female commentators who can a) engage the audience naturally and b) describe the football match in good detail. If someone can do that, I say go for it.

Failing that, anyone other than Mark Lawrenson would do.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The only time you will enjoy Mark Lawrenson, is when Alistair McGowan's Big Impression is on. Unfortunately, it's widely reported that the BBC do give jobs to minorities for the sake of being 'politically correct'.
Dalimyr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
The only time you will enjoy Mark Lawrenson, is when Alistair McGowan's Big Impression is on. Unfortunately, it's widely reported that the BBC do give jobs to minorities for the sake of being 'politically correct'.
Are you seriously telling me there were choices and someone said "Ah, yes, that's the voice we're looking for, the 'wailing of the banshee' sound"?

:ninja:

I'll never paraphrase Red Dwarf again (maybe :p:)...but if there were more women who were available for the job then why the hell would they choose Jacqui Oatley? Surely she can't have been the best one? :s: Recruiting to be PC is all well and good, but they've still got to have talent...
Tricky_Tree
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Epitomessence)
Yes they should.

IF

they deserve to.

That woman on MOTD - Jackie Oatley or whatever her name is, is absolutely terrible. She tries far too hard, I still cringe thinking about her first one, it was this Fulham match and she laid on so many statistics I found myself saying "save it for a Maths lesson woman" (and I love Maths), and she piled on the hyperbole and cliché too. Not good.

That said, the other end of the spectrum, the one I myself am at sometimes, with all "OMGz Ronaldo is so fit!!!!!1111111" and "look at Lampard's thighs!!! BUFF!" is far, far worse.

We need female commentators who can a) engage the audience naturally and b) describe the football match in good detail. If someone can do that, I say go for it.

Failing that, anyone other than Mark Lawrenson would do.
Think Gabby Logan is alright, she would make a good commentator!
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think the woman is a good commentator. She just has an annoying voice, and not just because she's a woman.
Car Expert
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carlos The Villan)
If they are good enough I don't see a problem with it but the one they had on Match of the day recently was just awful.
:ditto:. Jacqui Oatley just doesn't sound right as a commentator IMO.
Epitomessence
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tricky_Tree)
Think Gabby Logan is alright, she would make a good commentator!
Yeah, I like her. The only thing is what I've seen of her is usually her posing the questions to the lads, and then listening attentively; I haven't really seen her giving any football opinion herself. That said, given the platform, she'd do good.

She doesn't have the annoying voice, after all.
Complex Simplicity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Many supporters wouldn't be used to a female commentator regardless of how good she is. However, this initial hostile response would be removed when said commentator proofs herself.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
'knife through hot butter you say'

a sure sign that she belongs in the kitchen with her fellow women
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (52)
24.07%
Unhappy (57)
26.39%
Conflicted (107)
49.54%

Watched Threads