Should women Commentate on MOTD?

Watch
Poll: Should there be a female commentator on MOTD?
Yes (41)
36.28%
No (72)
63.72%
This discussion is closed.
CJ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Shouldn't it be 'hot knife through butter" I can imagine trying to cut hot butter being quite a difficult task :p:

/cheeky
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Oh, shut up, of course they should if they're good enough.
The point is they're not good enough though
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
The point is they're not good enough though
One frigging female commentator in the history of MOTD and suddenly all women are rubbish. ****'s sake.
Dalimyr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by <CJ>)
Shouldn't it be 'hot knife through butter" I can imagine trying to cut hot butter being quite a difficult task :p:

/cheeky
Depends if it's still cool enough to remain solid, really :p:

(Original post by Juwel)
One frigging female commentator in the history of MOTD and suddenly all women are rubbish. ****'s sake.
Sad, isn't it? It's the same with female footballers. They're seen, without any real proof, as being really poor in comparison to men...but if I'm honest, I'd love to see Julie Fleeting try her hand against the men at least once - 100 goals in 100 games for her country over the past 12 years isn't a record to be scoffed at by any stretch of the imagination.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dalimyr)
Sad, isn't it? It's the same with female footballers. They're seen, without any real proof, as being really poor in comparison to men...but if I'm honest, I'd love to see Julie Fleeting try her hand against the men at least once - 100 goals in 100 games for her country over the past 12 years isn't a record to be scoffed at by any stretch of the imagination.
I totally agree with the commentators but I've seen women's football (not a lot, but a few matches) and the standard is considerably lower than the men's non-league game. Obviously they'd get over run on a physical level but even in terms of technical ability - the quality of the first touch, precision of the passing...it's nowhere near the men's standard.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's a little different.

Football being a physical sport, the grounds of competition include speed and strength among other things, which typically men are better at than women.

Commenting on a football match, the competition is on much different grounds, whatever they are; things in which neither sex typically has an advantage.

So I can't wait to hear from the female Martin Tyler, but women in the men's game I'm a little less positive about.
Dalimyr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Football being a physical sport, the grounds of competition include speed and strength among other things, which typically men are better at than women.
Key word being "typically"
I'm not actually saying I'd want mixed teams properly (it works in a few sports, but football isn't really one of them), just a one-off game where some of the better women in the game can prove that they can compete with the men :p:
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd expect it to be embarrassing for the ladies :s:
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm not actually saying I'd want mixed teams properly (it works in a few sports, but football isn't really one of them), just a one-off game where some of the better women in the game can prove that they can compete with the men :p:
That would be interesting! I hope we get Karen Carney
Laevis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
but if I'm honest, I'd love to see Julie Fleeting try her hand against the men at least once - 100 goals in 100 games for her country over the past 12 years isn't a record to be scoffed at by any stretch of the imagination.
Thing is, she scored those goals against other women, so although they're impressive in their own right, they're practically meaningless when trying to assess how she might do if she was to 'try her hand against the men'.

I'm interested in the women's game, and would love to see it continue to develop, but alongside the men's game rather than mingling with it.
Infamous08
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
dont mind lol but she does get annoying..seems to go on and on and on...
Throwback
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
With regards to Jacqui Oatley, we should all go down the http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/ route.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Throwback)
With regards to Jacqui Oatley, we should all go down the http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/ route.
Oh, when you do, put in a good word for me, will you? :p:
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, but just not the one that did the other day because she shrieks when anything exciting happens.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by <CJ>)

/cheeky
Only a bloke would spot that deliberate mistake - a woman would be in the kitchen trying to cut through the liquid

I've only heard the woman a couple of times - she always seems to get the smaller games when I've seen/heard her on MOTD.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most sunday league teams would beat the best womens team you could put together. The gulf is huge
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Well you would assume she's the best on offer. Yet she is terrible
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well you would assume she's the best on offer. Yet she is terrible
No I wouldn't assume that, having the ability to think a bit. There'll be women out there who can call a game better and more friendly to the ears than her, she just happened to go for it and be first.
Dalimyr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most sunday league teams would beat the best womens team you could put together. The gulf is huge
Most Northern Irish Premier teams would beat the best England squad you could put together. The gulf is huge :rolleyes:
jodie_lee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most Northern Irish Premier teams would beat the best England squad you could put together. The gulf is huge :rolleyes:
I'm English and patriotic....but the guy who was sla**ing off women's teams deserved that :rolleyes: :p:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (379)
52.79%
No (339)
47.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed