jarofwater
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m about to go into year 11, and i really don’t want to do my music GCSE. I spent the majority of year 10 stressing about it, and I’m wondering if there is anyway to avoid this is year 11. I’m worried that if I continue with this GCSE it will greatly lower how I perform in my other exams, for example subjects that I care more about such as science, english and maths . Can I drop the GCSE? How will it impact my future? I don’t want to be a person who just gives up as soon as things get difficult.
caseyh07
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jarofwater)
I’m about to go into year 11, and i really don’t want to do my music GCSE. I spent the majority of year 10 stressing about it, and I’m wondering if there is anyway to avoid this is year 11. I’m worried that if I continue with this GCSE it will greatly lower how I perform in my other exams, for example subjects that I care more about such as science, english and maths . Can I drop the GCSE? How will it impact my future? I don’t want to be a person who just gives up as soon as things get difficult.
Hi, you should be able to drop your music GCSE however it does depend on your school. I am in year 12 and know plenty of people that dropped GCSEs upon starting year 11 and some of these were subjects such as music, business and languages. If you explain how continuing music will affect your other GCSEs then I can't see why they would say no. Furthermore, dropping music will have no impact on your future unless you want to go into a career that involves and requires you to have a music GCSE. Focus on the important GCSE's like Maths, English, Science and the ones you need for your future career.
Hope this helps!
Casey
SomMC1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there,
i did iGCSE (similar if not the same for internationals) and completed it last year. I got 10A*&As at the end. In year 10, I did something called "Additional Maths". That's above maths. I ended up getting a certificate as 'best additional maths students in year 10'. In year 11, first exam in september and I got a E. Around 25%. That's when my parents and I realised that Additional maths would completely and utterly ruin my igcse because I clearly couldnt get an A or A* which I wanted OR even if I did get an A* or A, then I'd spent too much time on it and get Bs elsewhere. I dropped it and never been happier. I wasted my summer revising year 10 material for Additional maths all for nothing.
I said this story to you so you understand that dropping a subject is not making you as a failure. It's a strategic decision which you need to make. Firstly, how many GCSE are you doing right now? What sort of grade are you getting in the other subjects and what grade are you getting on average in Music? Science, english and maths are a must. You must pass maths and english. No one cares about music.

No one will ever know you dropped music but everyone (unis) will know if you get a D or worse in it. Leave it whilst you still can
jdijx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it's really stressing you out, yes definitely. It gives you more time to focus on important subjects such as those you may perhaps need in the future or require to pursue your career. If I could go back, I would've dropped art as I think it definitely had a toll on my other subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
29.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.43%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.66%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.66%

Watched Threads