Hroar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Being traveled in the States, Europe, Oceania, elsewhere I see the polys are well respected. They apparently originated in the Continent as a industry focused training & research school and only made the way to UK after the Germans pulled ahead in mid nineteen hundreds. In many places they keep their institute of technology title but in others they have university of technology title eg MIT GIT RMIT or in compared to BUT TUD (Denmark), and it made no difference when they changedover.

So why is there a lot of ifs and but with the polys in UK when in the US for examples and other places they can be considered the best above the Ivys?

Disclosure is that I don't go to a poly
Hroar
Rep:
?
Selection today still means something when the big boys like the old medieval universities taking in anyone with money or okay marks compared to 20 or 40 or 60 years ago? No, I think no. Guy, its a different story today. Polys have good tradition of teaching in UK, and on Continent Polys were not always research but teaching for professional people, so I don't think it's just that. I think its rejection of Continental model that upset apple cart when introduced long time ago, and maybe shield biting aspect of that because it is Continental and not UK model, also to give them recognition is to reduce might of Oxbridge, but on Continent and others some Polys are just as "traditional". You agree?
Hroar
Rep:
?
But there is a very distinct kind of hold nose going on here in UK with Polys that you don't see in Europe or US or Australia except by uninformed so I don't agree with this. It's too many points but I should spell out exact replies sometime in future. You see many examples of old Polys model in USA like Caltech and MIT, and Renzelaers PI. They are all kings of what they do. Same in Oceania with RMIT and others who were based on same model. Same in Europe which is father of this model, with Moscow Technical and Austrian and German Schools like BUT, some being industry specific like EP in Paris, military school, or Austrian mining schools that invent engineering degree, or similar situations, some were training specific, but always had tradition which draw from industry people with trends and made new cross disciplines, or applied disciplines but all were similar in nature being applied knowledge for specific purpose use, not general University status which is universal across all classical disciplines. University today is dumbed down a lot, even uneducateds people can see this and see that person who went to Poly in Europe 50 or 100 years ago can be smarter than Oxbridge candidates today. In England, not sure, as people speak only one language if British. Different situation. But it is high held nose factor, maybe class, maybe because Poly = European idea which specifically became adopted because British Empire wanted to catch up to Germans who took crown from them 170 or more years ago in technology studies and specific vocation education systems - this is why US, and Oceanic and British countries adopted the Poly system - it was emergency and foreign in its definition. So I predict there is a factor in it. Low paying jobs means nothing a real estate person can make 10 times money of doctor or lawyer but it means little to their intellect just because of economic bubble and mania of investing in real property, which irony is tied direct to opening of legs of HE in UK to anyone who want to "invest". PS What is your country and what is best example of Poly or Institute of Technology from yours?
Hroar
Rep:
?
The prestige hungry market you are speaking around is the UK market which is fraction of world market. In USA MIT and Renzelaer Caltech are considered very highly above Ivys. The UK position on Polys is considered a kind of mad talk, which is the point related to Oxbridge and the foreignness of the concept of a good Poly student when you talk about selective. The reality is that MIT grad can go up against Oxbridge and its not a problem, and the Continent dont get me started, because the Continental Institute of Technology grad can often speak 2 or 3 languages and be exponential times better than the Oxbridge graduate. The prestige is like this beer versus that beer commercials, a fiction.
Hroar
Rep:
?
Yes but you can still read and honesty answer
Hroar
Rep:
?
What specific parts did you fail to understand? I don't use Google it's me writing. Sorry I am not up to your standards.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
although OP writes slightly differently from UK posters he is still perfectly intelligible. you should apologize

:spank:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads