A Level Environmental Science/Studies

Watch this thread
EurovisjiaOwen
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, does anyone do Environmental Science/Studies at A-Level. I am a Year 11 going into college in September. I want to be a Primary School Teacher and a few universities advised me to just do some subjects which interest me and focus on my UCAS points which I did when deciding my options. I feel like Environmental Science is something that could really interest me and the course content seems amazing but I fear that their may be more than what meets the eye with the subject. Anyone who has first hand experience do you have any advice or some kind of in sight into what it's like.

If it's relevant I plan on studying: Drama, Environmental Science and Politics
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I feel like doing something such as geography or biology would be better as they're are seen as better A-levels and thus would give you the competitive edge when applying to university.
EurovisjiaOwen
Rep:
(Original post by TSR Jessica)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
I posted it there too I guess it's not that popular haha
Oldl
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I have just finished my A-levels in Environmental Studies, Geography and Biology. I can answer and questions you have about the subjects!
EurovisjiaOwen
Rep:
(Original post by Oldl)
I have just finished my A-levels in Environmental Studies, Geography and Biology. I can answer and questions you have about the subjects!
Hero, i just want to know what the course is about the college that I will be going to are doing it for the first time and they have only just hired someone so i haven’t had a chance to ask questions if you could answer the following you will be a genuine hero

1) What are main components of the course
2) How hard would is the maths
3) Could I get in with a high grade in biology but a low in physics
4) Is there any field trips
5) Is GCSE Content in Geography useful for it
Oldl
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EurovisjiaOwen)
Hero, i just want to know what the course is about the college that I will be going to are doing it for the first time and they have only just hired someone so i haven’t had a chance to ask questions if you could answer the following you will be a genuine hero

1) What are main components of the course
2) How hard would is the maths
3) Could I get in with a high grade in biology but a low in physics
4) Is there any field trips
5) Is GCSE Content in Geography useful for it
Hiya,
I did AQA but i know the course is recently been reformed but has remained very similar. The 6th form i studied at was the first time they also taught the course.
1) In first year there was focuses on animal conservation methods, the importance of wildlife to humans as well as to the planet as a whole, how life forms developed. In addition to this i also looked at mining, land use conflicts, climate change, ozone depletion, water stress and biochemical cycles. In year 2 i looked at energy resources and the related environmental issues, forestry, aquaculture and then environmental pollution (water,oil,atmospheric etc) and lastly environmental sustainability and agricultural impacts. Obviously the reformed course will be different but most concepts will be similar.

2) The maths is definitely not challenging as most is basic equations such as the diversity index and statistical tests such as Chi-squared and Spearman's Rank. And there's questions with basic maths to do with graphs which are easy marks to gain.

3) Yes i should think so, my teachers went off my biology grade and my GCSE Geography grade my school asked for grade B in any science and a grade C in maths.

4) On my specification there was no definite field trips but there was the compulsory side where you hand to have first hand experience in collecting data for practical skills. They included collecting samples on invertebrates for example to calculate the Simpsons diversity index. My school also took us to a mine and a conservation centre. We also took some data on atmospheric pollution. I expect your college would so something similar, you could ask.

5) Yes! There is links to GCSE chemistry (ozone, also chemical equations for some sections) and biology with GM crops, biodiversity. Geography helps a lot to contextualise things such as Climate Change and sustainability. Also pollution etc. I found there was a lot of overlap with Biology and Geography A-level too.
Oldl
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Also, here's a link to the new spec which you would likely be doing so you can look at example papers and what the subject entails: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scie...l-science-7447
london2101x
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
i’m looking to study all those at a levels next year, can you give me some pros and cons on them, thanks
london2101x
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
i know you posted this 2 years ago but i wondering how you got on with those a levels?, i’m planning to apply to college in the next couple of days to study all those subjects, thanks
mxxj800
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hai, I'm doing the last year of college and I'm finding a-level environmental science really challenging due to the limited information provided online and completely having to rely on the textbook. if there are any good websites for past papers or anything that'll help, can you please let me know?
Thanks a lot.
sandygreed
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hey, could i ask a q?I have recently completed my A levels scoring AAB in maths, bio, chem. (A in maths and bio). However, one of the unis I am looking to apply to wants me to take a year out and get an A by next summer in any new additional A level. I was thinking of doing environmental science since it looks v similar to bio. Do you think it's possible to get an A with one year of independent studying?
sandygreed
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Oldl)
Hiya,
I did AQA but i know the course is recently been reformed but has remained very similar. The 6th form i studied at was the first time they also taught the course.
1) In first year there was focuses on animal conservation methods, the importance of wildlife to humans as well as to the planet as a whole, how life forms developed. In addition to this i also looked at mining, land use conflicts, climate change, ozone depletion, water stress and biochemical cycles. In year 2 i looked at energy resources and the related environmental issues, forestry, aquaculture and then environmental pollution (water,oil,atmospheric etc) and lastly environmental sustainability and agricultural impacts. Obviously the reformed course will be different but most concepts will be similar.

2) The maths is definitely not challenging as most is basic equations such as the diversity index and statistical tests such as Chi-squared and Spearman's Rank. And there's questions with basic maths to do with graphs which are easy marks to gain.

3) Yes i should think so, my teachers went off my biology grade and my GCSE Geography grade my school asked for grade B in any science and a grade C in maths.

4) On my specification there was no definite field trips but there was the compulsory side where you hand to have first hand experience in collecting data for practical skills. They included collecting samples on invertebrates for example to calculate the Simpsons diversity index. My school also took us to a mine and a conservation centre. We also took some data on atmospheric pollution. I expect your college would so something similar, you could ask.

5) Yes! There is links to GCSE chemistry (ozone, also chemical equations for some sections) and biology with GM crops, biodiversity. Geography helps a lot to contextualise things such as Climate Change and sustainability. Also pollution etc. I found there was a lot of overlap with Biology and Geography A-level too.
Hey, could i ask a q?I have recently completed my A levels scoring AAB in maths, bio, chem. (A in maths and bio). However, one of the unis I am looking to apply to wants me to take a year out and get an A by next summer in any new additional A level. I was thinking of doing environmental science since it looks v similar to bio. Do you think it's possible to get an A with one year of independent studying?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads