The Student Room Group

Rea world application

For Year 2 economics, do I have to know current affairs/real world events?
Reply 1
We were told we need to be constantly up to date with the news but honestly... i always read the news and had examples for every topic but in the exam i only ended up using a few for the longer essay questions and the rest of the questions were answered using the case study provided.
Its really helpful to know about the ER history, inflation, IR and some facts about developing, emerging econs etc. but other than that dont waste too much time researching/learning examples. Its more about exam technique.
I would highly suggest looking at the tutor2u econ resources as theyre incredibly useful.
Original post by Samiik
We were told we need to be constantly up to date with the news but honestly... i always read the news and had examples for every topic but in the exam i only ended up using a few for the longer essay questions and the rest of the questions were answered using the case study provided.
Its really helpful to know about the ER history, inflation, IR and some facts about developing, emerging econs etc. but other than that dont waste too much time researching/learning examples. Its more about exam technique.
I would highly suggest looking at the tutor2u econ resources as theyre incredibly useful.

Would it be helpful if I memorized key changes in inflation, exchange rates and interest rates? What facts about emerging economies particularly would be useful? Also, is it worth buying Exam Practice & Assessment, Example Essays and Topic Resources from tutor2u?

Kind regards
Reply 3
Original post by boojai
Would it be helpful if I memorized key changes in inflation, exchange rates and interest rates? What facts about emerging economies particularly would be useful? Also, is it worth buying Exam Practice & Assessment, Example Essays and Topic Resources from tutor2u?

Kind regards

Yes that would be really helpful. For example, in my paper 1 we had an essay question about demand side factors and for most of that question i used my own knowledge such as how the base rate had increased (at that time) to 0.5% and its now 0.75% as of a few days ago. So yeah, knowing about inflation and all these things can be useful as (depending on your exam board), they may be relevant to a few topics. I would suggest downloading a news app such as The Guardian. You might not be required to know about emerging econs but again it depends on which exam board you do. For us, globalisation was our main paper 3 topic that we had to research so i had quite a few examples of different types of economies.
The only thing i bought from tutor2u were 4 of these example essay booklets as i really struggled with answering them and these booklets honestly helped me so much. https://www.tutor2u.net/economics/store/selections/exemplar-essays-for-a-level-economics You can purchase other resources if you find its necessary. I cannot emphasise how much i love tutor2u and how useful it is. They have great youtube videos for economics which i used to revise and theyre so informative. You should also check out EconplusDal and ACDC Econ.

If you have anymore questions about anything, feel free to ask.
Original post by Samiik
Yes that would be really helpful. For example, in my paper 1 we had an essay question about demand side factors and for most of that question i used my own knowledge such as how the base rate had increased (at that time) to 0.5% and its now 0.75% as of a few days ago. So yeah, knowing about inflation and all these things can be useful as (depending on your exam board), they may be relevant to a few topics. I would suggest downloading a news app such as The Guardian. You might not be required to know about emerging econs but again it depends on which exam board you do. For us, globalisation was our main paper 3 topic that we had to research so i had quite a few examples of different types of economies.
The only thing i bought from tutor2u were 4 of these example essay booklets as i really struggled with answering them and these booklets honestly helped me so much. https://www.tutor2u.net/economics/store/selections/exemplar-essays-for-a-level-economics You can purchase other resources if you find its necessary. I cannot emphasise how much i love tutor2u and how useful it is. They have great youtube videos for economics which i used to revise and theyre so informative. You should also check out EconplusDal and ACDC Econ.

If you have anymore questions about anything, feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. I am doing AQA and the specification explicitly says:

"It is expected that students will acquire a good knowledge of trends and developments in the economy which have taken place over the past fifteen years and also have an awareness of earlier events where this helps to give recent developments a longer term perspective."

Would you recommend reading about the entire British economic history or just keep up to current events?

Kind regards,
Rachel
Reply 5
Original post by boojai
Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. I am doing AQA and the specification explicitly says:

"It is expected that students will acquire a good knowledge of trends and developments in the economy which have taken place over the past fifteen years and also have an awareness of earlier events where this helps to give recent developments a longer term perspective."

Would you recommend reading about the entire British economic history or just keep up to current events?

Kind regards,
Rachel

I wouldnt recommend learning about the entire history but i would suggest, as the spec says, researching the last 15 years especially the years leading to and of the financial crisis (2007-2009). These were the years that saw the most drastic changes to inflation and the base rate. 2016 was also the year the ER fell due to the EU referendum so you might want to look into that if you havent already. I did Edexcel but i used AQA papers for revision and knowledge about the wider economy is required alongside the use of the case study especially for the 25 mark qns.
This might be a good place to start https://www.rateinflation.com/inflation-rate/uk-historical-inflation-rate You dont have to remember everything, just the years in which there were significant changes and also why these changes occured.

Quick Reply

Latest