The Student Room Group

BTEC or A-levels?

I've decided I want to become a social worker but what would be the better option for me to take, Level 3 Health and Social Care or A-Levels in RE, Sociology and Phycology? I always want to work part time too.
Original post by needsleep
I've decided I want to become a social worker but what would be the better option for me to take, Level 3 Health and Social Care or A-Levels in RE, Sociology and Phycology? I always want to work part time too.

Have you definitely got your heart set on social working? If there's an element of doubt, I'd suggest the A-levels as they may give you more options if you change your mind. However, if you feel like you'd enjoy the BTEC more, then go for whichever you'll enjoy most, especially as you'll be doing it for 2 years :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 2
That A level combination seems nice. Probably depends on where you want to end up with your qualifications. I know someone who did that BTEC and she ended up doing a lot of admin work for NHS. So, you wouldn't be forced to do only jobs related to it directly.
Reply 3
Btecs are easier to manage than a levels, so could be possibly better for you as you said you want to work part time, id imagine that you'll also have more time off with a btec but ultimately its down to you. So best of luck x
Reply 4
Original post by brainzistheword
Have you definitely got your heart set on social working? If there's an element of doubt, I'd suggest the A-levels as they may give you more options if you change your mind. However, if you feel like you'd enjoy the BTEC more, then go for whichever you'll enjoy most, especially as you'll be doing it for 2 years :smile:

Good luck!

Yes, social work really appeals in comparison to other jobs as it's something I am passionate about doing. I personally would enjoy doing a BTEC more as I hate feeling stressed and pressurised due to exams.
Yes, social work really appeals in comparison to other jobs as it's something I am passionate about doing. I personally would enjoy doing a BTEC more as I hate feeling stressed and pressurised due to exams.

In that case I think you've probably made your own mind up :smile: If you're going to enjoy it more and it's what you'd like to do then go for it. Have you been to college open days and found out what the courses (both BTEC and A-levels) entail? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Rezwan_
That A level combination seems nice. Probably depends on where you want to end up with your qualifications. I know someone who did that BTEC and she ended up doing a lot of admin work for NHS. So, you wouldn't be forced to do only jobs related to it directly.

I wouldn't mind doing work with the NHS as I wouldn't mind becoming a paramedic either. I feel as if a BTEC would be easier for me to get to my goal as I do not enjoy sitting exams
Reply 7
Original post by brainzistheword
In that case I think you've probably made your own mind up :smile: If you're going to enjoy it more and it's what you'd like to do then go for it. Have you been to college open days and found out what the courses (both BTEC and A-levels) entail? :smile:

Yes, and I feel like BTEC's are a better option but then again my teachers would always say that BTEC's are futile and it's better to do A-Levels.
Reply 8
I wouldn't mind doing work with the NHS as I wouldn't mind becoming a paramedic either. I feel as if a BTEC would be easier for me to get to my goal as I do not enjoy sitting exams

Don't some new BTECs require exams now?
Yes, and I feel like BTEC's are a better option but then again my teachers would always say that BTEC's are futile and it's better to do A-Levels.

They are gaining a better reputation than they used to. At the end of the day, it's whatever you would like to do. If your teachers are talking from an academic potential point of view, then it might be worth discussing it with them to see what advice they can offer (as they know you better than anyone on TSR) but it's ultimately your decision.

Original post by Rezwan_
Don't some new BTECs require exams now?

They are being re-introduced, yes, but compared to A-level, there wouldn't be the same pressure on the student as some marks will be made up via coursework :smile:

It depends on what university you want to study at. Most universities do see BTEC the same as A-levels, so it's up to you. The 'higher end' unis prefer A-levels so it would be a bit harder but not impossible to get into. By 'higher end' I mean oxbridge, st andrews etc.

I would say a levels because they keep your options open, for example you night be set on social work but find later on you would love nursing or something else. I also think a levels are of a higher teaching standard than BTEC's (though that's just from me doing a levelsand brother doing btec, the btec seemed a lot more simplified). If you like those a level subjects and you think you could do well, I'd go with a level.
Reply 11
Having done both A levels and a BTEC in health and social care, I'd say go for the BTEC. It's a lot of work, but it's much more focused on the stuff you need to know in the workplace. I work in adult's social care as a senior support worker, and I find it invaluable. I use what I've learned daily. You learn a lot about how to work in a health and social care environment. You also do a placement which will help enormously come personal statement time.
Reply 12
Original post by katf
Having done both A levels and a BTEC in health and social care, I'd say go for the BTEC. It's a lot of work, but it's much more focused on the stuff you need to know in the workplace. I work in adult's social care as a senior support worker, and I find it invaluable. I use what I've learned daily. You learn a lot about how to work in a health and social care environment. You also do a placement which will help enormously come personal statement time.

Can you choose what placement you would like to go onto?
Reply 13
Can you choose what placement you would like to go onto?

Yes. At my college the placement officer helped you to organise it. You need to do a DBS check before you start though.
Reply 14
Original post by katf
Yes. At my college the placement officer helped you to organise it. You need to do a DBS check before you start though.

Quick Reply

Latest