The Student Room Group

Gender vs biological sex

Im not gonna respond to any more people quoting this post. Feel free to continue the discussion but I’ve heard enough from both sides to solidify my view.

Thank you to everyone who was willing to speak to me about this issue, try not to get too caught up into debates and such and remember to have a nice day :smile:

The jist of my original post is below:

So we need to start by saying that gender and biological sex are two completely different concepts.

Biological sex is your body parts; male, female and intersex.
Gender is the way your mind perceives yourself.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Though I tend to take a neutral stance, I agree with your observations.

This is why I usually use neutral pronouns in reference to strangers online (just in case) and only use pronouns once I'm sure of what they're comfortable with.
I've had my fair share of run-ins with an angry online mob in my DMs about accidentally mis-gendering.
I identify as an apache helicopter. Does that make that my gender? If not, why?

P.S. I am just trying to figure out why you believe so. I will ask further questions later. Don't take offence please.
Reply 3
Original post by TripleSlash
Though I tend to take a neutral stance, I agree with your observations.

This is why I usually use neutral pronouns in reference to strangers online (just in case) and only use pronouns once I'm sure of what they're comfortable with.
I've had my fair share of run-ins with an angry online mob in my DMs about accidentally mis-gendering.

Glad to hear! I’ve seen a lot of disrespect to a younger year student at school so I’m always pretty straight forward with my beliefs haha
Reply 4
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?

P.S. I am just trying to figure out why you believe so. I will ask further questions later. Don't take offence please.

I mean if your mind truly tells you you’re a helicopter then sure, I’ll respect that you feel that way, but if that’s your way of mocking a community then maybe grow up haha

And I’m not gonna attack ya don’t worry - I posted this for a discussion :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah I've been using neutral pronouns even before I became aware of the gender issues. It's just a much more logical thing to do.
Original post by Jessica_W
I mean if your mind truly tells you you’re a helicopter then sure, I’ll respect that you feel that way, but if that’s your way of mocking a community then maybe grow up haha

And I’m not gonna attack ya don’t worry - I posted this for a discussion :smile:

I'm mocking no one. I was merely stating a point.

The issue is there can be infinite genders if you look at it from your pov. The problem is that the gender movement was started by Judith Butler in 1948. Since then we have seen a rise in people claiming to be different genders. Before that gender and sex were considered same and legally they still are in most countries around the world. All of a sudden humans appear to have evolved into many more genders. Why?
Reply 7
Original post by UditDey
Yeah I've been using neutral pronouns even before I became aware of the gender issues. It's just a much more logical thing to do.

Pretty much haha
Reply 8

The issue is there can be infinite genders if you look at it from your pov. The problem is that the gender movement was started by Judith Butler in 1948. Since then we have seen a rise in people claiming to be different genders. Before that gender and sex were considered same and legally they still are in most countries around the world. All of a sudden humans appear to have evolved into many more genders. Why?

I think more people are talking about it than those days, 1948 wasn’t the best of times for acceptance haha

There's a "category" for all those other genders.
It's called kin.

Spoiler

Reply 10

Also, I don’t see the possibility of there being infinite genders an issue really, in the end, if there’s respect to the parties in question then it’s all fine really
XX = F, XY = M. end of.
Reply 12

You can't really identify as an inanimate object, that's what makes gender identities seem stupid to people that can't accept how others are.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
XX = F, XY = M. end of.

Congratulations, you defined Biological Sex.
Here's your prize.
Reply 14
Original post by TripleSlash
Congratulations, you defined Biological Sex.
Here's your prize.

Hahahaha
Reply 15
XX = F, XY = M. end of.

It’s pretty close minded of you to say that really lol
I can accept someone being gay or lesbian or bisexual. I get that. What I don't understand is when people identify as neither and go on a tangent. If you can change my view, sure, do go ahead and explain why I should accept gender neutral people etc. I'm open to any reasoning.
Reply 17
congrats, you outed yourself as an anti-science idiot who thinks there is a distinction between one's gender and sex. go back to school.

Did you read the post? Also there can be a difference in mind and body
It’s pretty close minded of you to say that really lol

i am sorry if my degree in Cellular Biology makes me too educated for you, but i'm very close minded to anti-science people such as yourself.

you cannot define yourself as something you are not and expect us to accept it as a fact.
Did you read the post? Also there can be a difference in mind and body

yes, your body can be either male or female and your mind can be either delusional or non-delusional. always happy to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending