The Student Room Group

Which of these universities should I choose?

Hello,

I'm a European student and I've been admitted to these 4 universities:

* Lancaster University - (BSc Computer Science)
* University of York - (BSc Computer Science)
* Newcastle University - BSc Computer Science (Software Engineering)
* University of Liverpool - BSc Computer Science with Software Development

I wish to attend the one that meets these 2 conditions:

- has the highest percentage of students who obtained a 1st class degree.
- has the highest percentage of students who pass all 3 years at one go (in other words, lowest percentage of failure).

If someone has an idea which one meets these conditions, please let me know!

I checked https://unistats.ac.uk but unfortunately the data is based on a small amount of students in some cases.

Thank you for your help!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ecologist
Hello,

- has the highest percentage of students who pass all 3 years at one go (in other words, lowest percentage of failure).

I checked https://unistats.ac.uk but unfortunately the data is based on a small amount of students in some cases.

Thank you for your help!

i believe this information is accounted for in the Times-Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018. the league table is not the first entry when you google it but it is available free online.

also why aren't you going with Scottish universities where tuition for you would be completely free?
Reply 2
Hello,

Thank you for your help!

Those are important criteria, but perhaps think about, I don't know, the actual courses themselves, whether you'll enjoy them, whether they're more theoretical, or whether they contain more practical aspects.
Just because a lot of people pass, doesn't mean that the course is any good, it could just be really easy, and just that not well respected by employers. (I'm not saying that any of the courses you've listed are)
Reply 3
Hello,

Thank you for your help!

Such statistic(s) are somewhat interesting but that's all they are, a statistic. How do you know you will be another contributor rather than a detractor from the statistic.

Pick the course you actually want to study (they are all slightly, or significantly, different), at a university you want to be at for 3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Such statistic(s) are somewhat interesting but that's all they are, a statistic. How do you know you will be another contributor rather than a detractor from the statistic.

Pick the course you actually want to study (they are all slightly, or significantly, different), at a university you want to be at for 3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i unashamedly picked my uni choice from the rankings. not the ranking itself per se, but from the criteria that made up the rankings. the % of 1sts and UCAS entry points were important to me because i wanted to be surrounded by the smartest people possible for my own motivation.
Reply 5
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i unashamedly picked my uni choice from the rankings. not the ranking itself per se, but from the criteria that made up the rankings. the % of 1sts and UCAS entry points were important to me because i wanted to be surrounded by the smartest people possible for my own motivation.

Did you go to Surrey....?
Did you go to Surrey....?

nope! St Andrews (Durham was my firm up to the UCAS deadline week)
Reply 7
nope! St Andrews (Durham was my firm up to the UCAS deadline week)

Surrey is the "go to" uni for Firsts these days :wink:

Anyway. my advice to the OP still stands :smile:
Percentage of firsts is really irrelevant, if you wanted to go by % of firsts, you should go to a poorly ranked uni. Thats not a good way to measure really anything, of course in more technical ie def right or wrong answer courses like cs, maths, you will have a higher prevalence of firsts anyways.

Of those four i would tend towards York, or New castle. If you move up to Lancaster you may not like england and drop out. Its a horrid little village.

Liverpool is kind of the problem child of the RG.

Computer science has a high drop out rate anywhere because its a difficult course, and most people will never be able to code to degree level. Its not normal maths either hence the modules are often named "maths for computer scientists" its all quite abstract. So a drop out rate wont help you decide realistically, that can vary cohort to cohort. Though i will say, they work more with you in england on getting you through than most EU countries. I know in germany (where im originally from) even management (what i study in UK) has a whopping 35% drop out rate! Simply because professors cant get fired and arent judged on their classes passing. This is better in england and only about 10-12% drop out. But then again i find this highly misleading! Because most people struggle in 2nd year and the drop out rate creeps quite a bit higher there. You really see classes shrink.

If a big class starts in the UK of 800 i would say 650-700 graduate, anywhere you go at top universities, maybe even more. Which is alot higher then the US or Europe.
Surrey is the "go to" uni for Firsts these days :wink:

Anyway. my advice to the OP still stands :smile:

well the table i used to use only included % of 1sts + upper seconds (no filtering for just 1sts).

i agree it is a bit flawed
Reply 10
well the table i used to use only included % of 1sts + upper seconds (no filtering for just 1sts).

i agree it is a bit flawed

Here's Firsts:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5445458&page=4#post78503454

(St Andrew's is 23rd, Durham 19th)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending