The Student Room Group

Opinions of CAMHS??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by HowToBeABlobfish
There are other methods?

Yes there's a lot of different types of therapy. Counselling is just one approach. You might find CBT useful, for example. However don't take CBT if the provider is something called a psychological wellbeing practitioner. They are pretty much untrained and virtually useless.
Original post by katf
Yes there's a lot of different types of therapy. Counselling is just one approach. You might find CBT useful, for example. However don't take CBT if the provider is something called a psychological wellbeing practitioner. They are pretty much untrained and virtually useless.

What's that?
Reply 62
What's that?

Cognitive behavioural therapy. Focuses on coping strategies and changing the way you think.
No that's the point. He's useless.

Have you tried swapping people? My person is a guy too and some people suggested to me that a woman might be better suited to me because they’re sometimes a bit more understanding and maybe that’s what you need. I’m sorry to hear that he’s useless
Original post by Thetruthhurts12
Useless, a girl i know was marked as 'no danger' yet a few weeks later she committed suicide.

Oh no!! That’s terrible. I’m so sorry to hear that ❤️
Original post by katf
Cognitive behavioural therapy. Focuses on coping strategies and changing the way you think.

Christ sounds even worse.

Original post by reinetteevans
Have you tried swapping people? My person is a guy too and some people suggested to me that a woman might be better suited to me because they’re sometimes a bit more understanding and maybe that’s what you need. I’m sorry to hear that he’s useless

Nah I had a woman a few years back. Even worse.
Original post by maz.oli
Wow. I thought I had a bad experience with CAMHS but looks like their standards are lower than I thought! I was suffering with anorexia, they took 3 months to actually see me (all the while I was still starving and my condition was worsening). Luckily, my first therapist was great and did CBT with me; I was weighed weekly, was made to write a food diary. BUT, after 3 months she disappeared and CAMHS didn't tell me why. The CAMHS I went to was so severely understaffed that I was put with a therapist who offered a service (psychotherapy) that was completely unsuited to me personally and my condition. I stopped turning up and they didn't seem to care.

CAMHS is severely underfunded; there aren't enough staff, resources or clinics to help the growing number of people suffering with mental health. It is sad.

That’s awful!! I’m so sorry they treated you like that. When I tried to leave they had a meeting with my teacher and GP and discussed whether they should let me leave and they should have done that with you as you were clearly still in need of help. I find their communication to patients, parents and schools is very weak as I never know what’s going on with them and I don’t seem to be in steady hands.
Its terrible that it’s so underfunded and it’s really disheartening knowing that someone at the top makes these decisions knowing children will be denied treatment or have to wait ages for treatment that doesn’t suit them. Are you better now?
I was waiting for almost 8 months for help from camhs for low mood, anxiety, self harm and suicidal thoughts and was eventually seen in June. I’ve just finished year 12 at school and this has really impacted my whole life and my school work. I’m starting to get to the point where I feel nothing will get better because I’ve started my therapy yet I’m still feeling the same and my memory is getting really bad now.
What I really want to know is how long other people were waiting for help (from referral to the start of your treatment)? What you were treated for when you did get help? What sort of experience did you have with camhs?
Thank you ❤️

I got referred to CAMHS and they were so slow to take action that I literally turned 18 before I saw them / heard a peep from them. So I had to have a new referral made for adult mental health services.

So it’s safe to say that my opinion of CAMHS is not particularly well-informed. Nevertheless, based on my little experience with them, and other people’s experiences, my opinion of them is very low indeed.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Also she made me feel like I was wasting time and money by going there. I had some serious problems like friendship which was seriously affecting me at school. She made them sound pathetic and offering simple soloutions like ‘meet up with X on Saturday’ like I would if I could!! I felt really stupid going there

I can completely relate to how they treat you sometimes. I spoke to one woman (as the person in charge of my treatment was away) after having a complete breakdown where i didn’t feel safe anywhere and felt someone was going to hurt me (all of which was completely unfounded) and she just said why don’t you go out with your friend, something which I could barely think about when all I wanted to do was be in a safe quiet room.
I also think that their opinions of self harm are completely wrong as they don’t really seem to care if someone does it and one person even went as far to asking me if it was a good and helpful way for me to cope.
It’s horrible that she made you feel like you were wasting their time as you are just as worthy of their services as anyone else is.
Original post by Unscrewed_Up
It is but I couldn’t report them because I didn’t have any access to phones, internet etc (my parents wanted to cut me off from literally everyone bc they didn’t want me having friends).

I even remember them asking me why I self harmed and I said it was my parent’s fault (they are both abusive to me) and that I was lonely and had no friends and no one to talk to and I warned her they’d hit me but she still ****ing told my parents.

Funny how she did nothing about the fact that my parents were abusive but felt so concerned about my safety that she reported scars from over a year before the appointment lol.

That’s terrible!! If you say something like that they’ve got a legal duty to contact social services, as you are at risk. I’m so sorry that you were treated like that. Are you still living with your parents?
Original post by Rachmaninov
I got referred to CAMHS and they were so slow to take action that I literally turned 18 before I saw them / heard a peep from them. So I had to have a new referral made for adult mental health services.

So it’s safe to say that my opinion of CAMHS is not particularly well-informed. Nevertheless, based on my little experience with them, and other people’s experiences, my opinion of them is very low indeed.

I’m so sorry that you had to wait so long for help. I find the waiting makes everything worse as you’ve not only got these issues spinning round your head, you know that there are people who can help you fix it but you just can’t have that help yet, meanwhile your life is spinning out of control and you have no idea what you’re meant to be doing for the best. Did you have to wait as long for adult services?
Nah I had a woman a few years back. Even worse.

Are you still with camhs? What would you like them to do to help?
That’s terrible!! If you say something like that they’ve got a legal duty to contact social services, as you are at risk. I’m so sorry that you were treated like that. Are you still living with your parents?

Yeah. I still live with my parents but they mostly just ignore me now. It’s not really so bad I guess.
Original post by _RobbieL_
I don’t know anything about CAMHS specifically but a good friend of mine works as part of the pastoral care team for Bristol University - the Uni with the highest rate of mental health and suicide, and I can tell you for a fact that these pastoral organisations all try their absolute best to help clients get through everything they are dealing with - but the supply to demand ratio is simply too high. He says at any one point in the year, with this statistic increasing over the winter and colder months, at least 10% of the Universities population are seeking therapy or some other treatment from his team.

Without the use of medicine, the current suicide count from this year alone would be at least treble of what it currently is, so please don’t write off on TSR saying CAMHS is a terrible organisation that doesn’t care for it’s clientele - because if that was the case then it simply wouldn’t exist.

I expect it is a very similar thing as with UoB, there is simply too high a demand. How would you feel if because they stopped seeing other people altogether just for you, and as a result something happened to that group of people just because you felt your OWN care wasn’t sufficient enough? They need to balance it out fairly across everyone, and for an organisation where most of the workers are probably volunteers, like my friend AND his pastoral team, it can be incredibly difficult for them. They cannot be responsible for you, they can only help guide you in the right direction.

I don’t think we’re saying that they don’t care. What I merely am saying is that they are so underfunded and understaffed (all of which I know is not their fault) that they cannot give everyone the help they need. I don’t think anyone is saying they should stop treating some people to start treating others. What I was curious about was how long everyone had waited for treatment to see how similar my case was with others as waiting for 8 months for help, some days not knowing whether you’ll live to see the end of it, doesn’t seem like a fair wait to treat children. It turns out though that my case was not too dissimilar to everyone else’s. I don’t blame camhs workers at all as the majority of them are the kindest most caring people, I simply blame the system.
Reply 74
I’m so sorry that you had to wait so long for help. I find the waiting makes everything worse as you’ve not only got these issues spinning round your head, you know that there are people who can help you fix it but you just can’t have that help yet, meanwhile your life is spinning out of control and you have no idea what you’re meant to be doing for the best. Did you have to wait as long for adult services?

Quite frequently yes. In my home town, there are currently 0 NHS counsellors. There are 2 starting in September. I have been on the waiting list for 6 months. I was supposed to get counselling within 6 weeks. I know someone who has been on the waiting list for 14 months. The only suggestion is paying privately. That can cost £60 an hour for an experienced, appropriately trained and qualified counsellor.

The whole system is a complete joke. I'm currently in the process of formally complaining. It's only through pure luck and the fact that I have an understanding boss and a wonderful mother and boyfriend and an excellent GP that I'm still alive. If I didn't have the support network I do, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have been hospitalised at the very least. The people who preside over this shambolic service need to be done for corporate manslaughter. Their job is to provide treatment. People are dying on the waiting list.
Original post by Seamus123
CAHMS is and always has been a disaster. I dealt with them twice, 20 years apart, and it was abysmal. They broke confidentiality over one of my daughters ‘in error’ they said which caused no end of trouble in the family. The problem, in my opinion is that the wrong people are being trained for the job. Everything is text-book based. Some of them have no idea how to deal with distressed teens and nothing much changed since.

I agree that some people don’t seem to be suited to the job as one person I spoke to was extremely dismissive of me when they saw me at a&e and when my parents said I had asd traits the guy was very rude to them as he believed they didn’t have sufficient experience to comment (they both are teachers who dealt with pastoral issues).
I can’t believe that they broke confidentiality. From reading some of these comments it seems that they do that quite a lot
I got referred around two months ago I think and still haven’t heard from them :/// it’s so bad how long the wait is because it doesn’t help my anxiety anymore
Original post by katf
Quite frequently yes. In my home town, there are currently 0 NHS counsellors. There are 2 starting in September. I have been on the waiting list for 6 months. I was supposed to get counselling within 6 weeks. I know someone who has been on the waiting list for 14 months. The only suggestion is paying privately. That can cost £60 an hour for an experienced, appropriately trained and qualified counsellor.

The whole system is a complete joke. I'm currently in the process of formally complaining. It's only through pure luck and the fact that I have an understanding boss and a wonderful mother and boyfriend and an excellent GP that I'm still alive. If I didn't have the support network I do, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have been hospitalised at the very least. The people who preside over this shambolic service need to be done for corporate manslaughter. Their job is to provide treatment. People are dying on the waiting list.

I completely agree with everything you said. It’s so unfair that the waiting lists are so long that it often leaves you needing to seek private treatment, especially as you pay your taxes to receive help when you need it. Hopefully in the next few years they’ll increase funding and manage the department better. I hope you get some help soon ❤️
Original post by Unscrewed_Up
Yeah. I still live with my parents but they mostly just ignore me now. It’s not really so bad I guess.

I’m sorry that they ignore you. Maybe when you move you might find someone you trust who you can talk to about these things and hopfukly they aren’t as incompetent as your camhs person and actually do something about it ❤️
I'm half and half with what I think about them, I have seen a few people from CAMHS;

First worker; 12 years old. She told me she knew who my mother was (hadn't seen her since I was three), she told me how my family were drug dealers, prostitutes, among other things. She refused to help me find her.
I know to some people that might not sound so bad, but then she made me have a relationship with my dad who I didn't have a relationship with anyway and I barely saw him - he was more abusive than my mum! :angry:

Second worker; 14. Honestly, she was the best woman ever! I loved going to see her - until she thought CBT would work for my depression. She ended up going to a different job.

CBT worker; 15-ish. He told me I couldn't have CBT unless I went to the group sessions, he knew I hated it and didn't want to do it. I gave it a chance and ended up quitting.

Third worker; with her for a few sessions, she then retired.

Forth worker; 17 years old. A man hurt me one night. So the police brought in someone for me to talk too...She was the worst person I ever met!
She made me feel like the guilty one. She made me feel horrible.
She told me I was weird... honestly I guess it is weird! but it helps sometimes :frown:
She said if she was my mum, she wouldn't let me near my little sister either (due to my self-harm).
She was meant to put me on some list to get counselling, a few months later we rang the place up - no record.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest