The Student Room Group

UKCAT help

Ive been using the ISC medical book to practice for my UKCAT which is in about a month, and no matter how much I do, I cant seem to improve or get many questions right in it.

I'm particularly struggling with the decision making section (especially the logic type questions where its a convoluted statement and you have to answer yes/no to following statements + the venn diagram type ones) and the verbal reasoning. I have a really bad habit of reading the passage slowly which is really wasting time, despite not being able to take much information from it. No matter how much I practice, I just don't seem to do well.

Are there any strategies that could help me improve these 2 sections specifically but also the other 3 sections if possible too? I'm alright at AR but would also like to improve, I havent done much QR practice yet but that is tomorrow's plan, and I'm okay at SJT but need to just practice more.

Im going to get medify soon but am using the book until then.
The book is much harder than the real thing so don't feel to down about it.
You have to practice skim reading passages and picking out the information required rather than taking in the whole passage. It may be worth reading the question first so that you can work out what information you require from the passage rather than reading the passage and then the q.
I don't know when your test is, but maybe for DM atm don't try and complete it in the allocated time but take your time and work out the best strategy for you to complete it as fast as possible and then do it in timed conditions.
In the exam, if you feel like you are taking to long, answer all yes or all no, or all c or something for the passage or question you are struggling with, flag all those questions and do the ones you can do before coming back. Chances are that you will get a passage or a q you just can't get your head around and it may be worth just skipping it and guessing the answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending