So stressed out for freshers' week Watch

dreamyhalo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm not even stressed out about studying, etc., or the long term university experience. It's just freshers' that seems really daunting.

I try to tell myself to take it day by day--but there's so much team-building/interaction and I literally have no idea how I'm going to cope. Part of me wants to fake illness just so I can skip some events, because they're nothing I would normally do anyway.

It is slightly annoying: you go to university thinking you have the ultimate freedom and then from day one, they are pushing stuff onto you.

I just want to go to my lectures, eat food and sleep. I don't really need all this extra stuff.
Breeee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You do realise freshers isnt compulsory? I never went to anything at freshers. And you do also realise that you get to pick and choose what you do If you even do it? Noone forces you to do anything, you have to be active about it yourself
BR260799
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly it's fine. I don't even live on campus, i didn't go to any freshers events, join any extra curricular activities - i just enroled and went to my lectures, and i still made a great group of friends from my first year. If you don't want to participate then there is no pressure on you.
as125
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bro this is your best chance of getting some pussayyyy

Might as well go but if you don't then calm
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dreamyhalo)
I'm not even stressed out about studying, etc., or the long term university experience. It's just freshers' that seems really daunting.

I try to tell myself to take it day by day--but there's so much team-building/interaction and I literally have no idea how I'm going to cope. Part of me wants to fake illness just so I can skip some events, because they're nothing I would normally do anyway.

It is slightly annoying: you go to university thinking you have the ultimate freedom and then from day one, they are pushing stuff onto you.

I just want to go to my lectures, eat food and sleep. I don't really need all this extra stuff.
Hi dreamyhalo,

As others have said, Fresher's is nothing to worry about and you can be involved as much or as little as you want

Fresher's week is just an opportunity to find out about different socities/clubs/activities happening on campus but don't feel you have to take part. I only went to the Fresher's fair at the end of the week, which is where different support services and societies etc. have stalls so you can find out more about them.

It feels like there's a great pressure to enjoy yourself within those first few weeks, but don't forget that you'll be studying at uni for 3 years so there will be loads of chances to get involved if you'd like to be.

Are you planning on living at Uni?

Thanks,
Heather
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't need to get involved if you don't want to. I personally didn't and had no regrets. I preferred making friends through my course instead.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Perfectly acceptable. if u really dont want to do freshers week then dont.

No one will care.

I recommend going and trying a night out tho (u might end up having a lot of fun), nothing is compulsory, most people do the nights out and the fairs but again these r all optional (although there is **** loads of free stuff, and lots of pens). This might be an opportunity for u to push yourself to do 1 or 2 things out of your comfort zone, if not oh well just skip it.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I spent freshers attending precisely 0 of the day activities and more or less just ended up going to a string of flat parties. Nothing is compulsory, there's something for everyone. That's kinda the whole point. In theory you can just sit in your flat masturbating for the whole week and it won't matter.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was living on campus for my first year and fresher stuff really isn't my kind of thing.. but.. my flatmates pretty much forced me to go out anyway. There were themed nights at the bar on campus which I was okay with but I really didn't want to go out afterwards. I was dragged!

I didn't really enjoy it that much, and I didn't go "out out" again all year. I was okay with drinks in the kitchen (so would join my flatmates for pre drinks before they went out) and I would go to some of the themed nights on campus, but I never went into town again.

If something's not your thing, don't worry about it. You don't have to change for anyone, and you will still make lots of friends.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As others have said, most freshers events are not compulsory. Obviously for some things, like enrollment, it's essential you go, and if you have a course meet and greet type thing, that's great to attend. For social events and stuff put on by the SU, there's absolutely no need to go to anything you don't fancy. However, the purpose of freshers is to meet new people and make new friends, so putting yourself out there can be better than hiding in your room.

There's no need to fake illness to get out of things, though!
dirtmother
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Be careful what you wish for with the illness and get yourself the meningitis jab. Nothing you can do about the cold bug though.
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I never went to anything during Freshers week. I always told myself I would go, but, I never did. Honestly glad I didn't.

Don't feel like you're forced to go out during Freshers. It's not necessary. I made a few friends without going out, and considering just how little I interact with people, that in itself is pretty amazing.

Just do what you want to do. For me, I spent Freshers exploring the town of my Uni, looking at stuff for the semester, and gaming my *** off.
sadsushi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had a freshers week in my first year but I didn't go lol; TBH a lot of people I'm currently friends with at uni didn't even know about it let alone attend.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
exotichoney97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like other people said you don't have to go to anything you don't want to, they're not gonna hold it against you or mark you down or anything. Obviously they design these team building activities to help you meet new people but if you'd rather just meet them on your own terms or even keep to yourself a bit more then you can do that too. Just do freshers how you want to do it, good luck
Mahel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OP are you an introvert?
fifi.a
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah like everyone said if it's not your thing it's not by force for you to go. Just stick to yourself and what you want to do (or not do) during that time. It's only a week.
As long as you want to meet the people you want and make the friends you think you will need to get through university. good on you!!

Just hope we don't get any thread from you in a couple months time saying you're lonely or anything lol...

Remember university is not just the course but the whole experience and with the amount of free time you will have to only stick to your education will change and affect you...
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I found Freshers amazing it was the first time I could go out late (where I lived busses finished at 7:30 and taxis were a small fortune after 11pm ascan extrovert this was an issue. I loved Freshers week. Of course you are not forced to d anything there are a lot of bonding things in the first week and introductory lectures so you do need to be there going out is a good idea once or twice just so you have some story’s to swap with course mates you don’t want to be the anti social guy/girl that hides in there room all the time once uni starts properly there are society’s for everything from football to quidditch (yes it is a real thing now) or even a chamber music appreciation society. I would recommend the society & freshers fair at one I got a voucher for a free pearcing or tattoo I never used it but it was a genours promotion also you can pick up free pens mouse mats sweets and food. Good luck.
Sylvesrer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

This is an obvious feeling to every new student. Therefore, you need to find something that interests you most especially when it comes to friends. There is all types of people I am sure you will find to interest you most.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

You dont have to do any events you don't want to, freshers week is actually quite laid back. Theres more just a lot of stuff on to give people stuff to do.

The day events: you'll likely get a couple mini lectures (with no actual content) just introducing you to the staff, the structure and getting your IT stuff up and running. Also stuff like the sports fair/societies fair these are casual walk around and speak to no one or everyone the choice is yours. The freshers fair is just free stuff, again its just walking round a big room.

The night events: go to some, none or all. Its your choice, if you want sit in your room and watch netflix do it, if you fancy going and getting wasted then do that.

You'll likely continue to be nervous up until you arrive at Uni, this is natural. But what you do is entirely your choice. Uni has lots of options from big sports teams to small niche societies as its a community with all different types of people, youll find the thing that's right for you.
japan655
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I am also going to be a fresher soon, but you need to relax and not think so much about it.

It is completely your choice - you don't have to go if you don't feel like it

Just relax and chill for a bit and naturally, it will come to you in freshers week, if you want to take part in it.

It doesn't mean that you won't make friends, because you have all your life for that!!

Have a good summer!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (65)
17.76%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (230)
62.84%
Not yet but I am planning to (19)
5.19%
Not yet but I might (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads