The Student Room Group

time to get my act together (GYG)

I have no clue how on Earth TSR works so this is gonna be the ugliest thread ever but I need something to force me to work so...let's go! :h:

Results
GCSEs

Spoiler

Predicted A-levels

Spoiler

Mock results

Spoiler

UKCAT

Total: 3080
VR: 870
DM: 830
QR: 740
AR: 640
SJT: Band 1

Aspirations
So I want to get to med school, that’s my main goal I guess. I’ve wanted to be a doctor (@ lurking interviewers stop reading pls) since I knew what one was, so to not get there would really suck. We’ll see what happens, fingers crossed!! :s-smilie:

Universities

University of Liverpool- Medicine- AAA
Applied: 11/10/2018
Acknowledged: 13/10/2018

University of Sheffield- Medicine- AAA
Acknowledged: 12/10/2018

University of Nottingham- Medicine- AAA

University of Manchester- Medicine- AAA

University of York- Biomedical Sciences- AAB
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salmon.farm
I have no clue how on Earth TSR works so this is gonna be the ugliest thread ever but I need something to force me to work so...let's go! :h:

Results
GCSEs

Spoiler

Predicted A-levels

Spoiler

Mock results

Spoiler

Aspirations
So I want to get to med school, that’s my main goal I guess. I’ve wanted to be a doctor (@ lurking interviewers stop reading pls) since I knew what one was, so to not get there would really suck. We’ll see what happens, fingers crossed!! :s-smilie:

Universities
I’d go anywhere where they’d let me, and until I get my UKCAT result I’m still not sure where I’ll end up going. My current favourites are:

University of Liverpool-Medicine-AAA
Nottingham University-Medicine-AAA
University of Sheffield- Medicine-AAA
University of Leicester-Medicine-AAA
University of York-Biomedical Sciences-AAB

I need to get my act together and research unis a bit more thoroughly, though. :redface:

Good luck. When are you doing your UKCAT?
Reply 2
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Good luck. When are you doing your UKCAT?

29th August- a while yet, but still closer than I'd like. To be fair though, I'm not sure I'll ever be ready, so best to get it done soon-ish.
Reply 3
So... day one.

I did very little today tbh, walked to town to buy stationary, chilled in the park for a while with a friend. Did about an hour of UKCAT revision (the decision making section) and learned I am worse at it than most of the medify users. I struggle to decide what to have for tea though, so making decisions was never going to be a strength. I'm trying to comfort myself with the fact that they're all proper clever, as they want to take medicine, but, since these are who I've got to compete with this year, it ain't looking good.

Tried writing my personal statement, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Read a few examples but all of those are by people that have done about 50 types of work experience (uhh...how?) and have a 100m long list of hobbies that they have both achieved extensively in and also demonstrate key skills needed to succeed in the medical profession. My ability to quote B99 looks slightly weak in comparison. I'm going to add 'develop cool hobbies and a more impressive personality' to my summer to do list.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a bit more done, but it was nice to just lie in the sun today.
Ill follow this thread
Reply 5
Original post by SomMC1
Great gcse & predictions too altho a pity of not having A* in bio, even though you got it at the end of years hmmmm

When are you looking at apply? Near the deadline of 15th October or during September.

PS is notoriously known to be an death. Im working on mine for Accounting & Finance and Im dying too :biggrin:

Your little witty comments make it very fun to read. Keep it up! And good night:tongue:

Ta, and yeah I know what you mean, but since we did an AS paper the a* is bull. Think they just gave it away to make people feel good.

I'm just going to apply whenever my school tells me too- I'm not organised enough to sort my own stuff out haha.

Ugh don't even get me started on PS. I feel for you though- what do you have to put in accounting and finance statements? Wish you luck with it haha- hopefully you get a fit of inspiration or smth.

I would say I will keep it up but I'm terrible at sticking to things. I'll try. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by redbull114
Ill follow this thread

Cool! (I'm awful with tsr- do I need to do anything or can you do it urself)
Reply 7
Just wanted to tell you how well you're doing. Keep going and you'll be just fine.
Cool! (I'm awful with tsr- do I need to do anything or can you do it urself)

you could tag people into your daily logs. @(name goes here) would be fine at the end of the post.
This is great btw! Looking to apply for medicine myself so I'll be keeping a close eye on this too 😉 Keep it up!
Reply 9
So... day one.

I did very little today tbh, walked to town to buy stationary, chilled in the park for a while with a friend. Did about an hour of UKCAT revision (the decision making section) and learned I am worse at it than most of the medify users. I struggle to decide what to have for tea though, so making decisions was never going to be a strength. I'm trying to comfort myself with the fact that they're all proper clever, as they want to take medicine, but, since these are who I've got to compete with this year, it ain't looking good.

Tried writing my personal statement, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Read a few examples but all of those are by people that have done about 50 types of work experience (uhh...how?) and have a 100m long list of hobbies that they have both achieved extensively in and also demonstrate key skills needed to succeed in the medical profession. My ability to quote B99 looks slightly weak in comparison. I'm going to add 'develop cool hobbies and a more impressive personality' to my summer to do list.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a bit more done, but it was nice to just lie in the sun today.

Gonna be honest, it's best you lay off the sample personal statements, they really just make you more nervous.
I took my laptop to the library to write it - it helped a ton, because you kind of have to work if you go all the way there. It's like a crack house but for productivity.
Original post by bdeuces
Just wanted to tell you how well you're doing. Keep going and you'll be just fine.

Thanks- honestly you saying that means a lot. Yeah, I'll be fine whatever happens.
Good luck to you, whatever it is you're doing!
Original post by haseeb_jarral
you could tag people into your daily logs. @(name goes here) would be fine at the end of the post.
This is great btw! Looking to apply for medicine myself so I'll be keeping a close eye on this too 😉 Keep it up!

Thank you so much- I feel like my grandma could probably work this better than me. You want tagging or are u just gonna drop by whenever u fancy stalking the competition?
(I say competition,,,, but I mean I'm not sure I count hahaha)

Good luck to you!! I'm sure you're more than capable but we all need it!
Thank you so much- I feel like my grandma could probably work this better than me.

aha that was me at the start too. Dw, you'll learn all the tricks in the book soon enough 😊

You want tagging or are u just gonna drop by whenever u fancy stalking the competition?
(I say competition,,,, but I mean I'm not sure I count hahaha)

yes please! And don't do yourself like that lmao. If you're applying to medicine, everyone counts and I'm sure you're more than capable of getting in! I mean just look at those GCSE grades 🤤

Good luck to you!! I'm sure you're more than capable but we all need it!

Thank youuuu! And let's not make assumptions like that please 😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Day 2

Right. Yesterday I began by saying I didn't get much done. That was a terrible move. I've now set high expectations for myself, when in reality that was a good day. I just wanted to look like I knew what I was doing. (Hint: I do not.)

Today I did another hour of UKCAT practise, this time was quantitative reasoning. Turns out maths may actually help me as an A-level, but the most important thing for the UKCAT is mental maths- my one true foe. Luckily you get a calculator, but it's those terrible on screen ones. At least MyMaths has prepared me for this moment. I'm worse at QR than decision making, but not much worse. My main problem is timings. How are you supposed to logically work your way through things when there's barely time to read it? I'm not entirely certain but I also feel it could be a metaphor for working in the NHS atm. I'm getting deep here- (maybe I can work this into my PS it's the wisest-sounding idea I've had all day)

Speaking of my PS, I had another go at that today. It's so hard to make things sound impressive when they're barely mediocre, (isn't this every CV and interview ever). I haven't even tried to word it so I don't use the same word 100s of times yet. Still, it's a start. Yesterday I was just staring at the screen blankly so I'm glad to have at least improved slightly (start small I guess).

I nearly fell asleep about half 4 today, but now I feel more awake than ever, so I think I'll continue to research some unis. What are summer holidays for other than to screw over your sleep schedule?

Also to anyone reading this
A) dedicate Ur time to reading something more valuable please I implore you
B) my sense of humour is very self deprecating and I may sound very Mardy (miserable in case you don't know the lingo) but it's just what I find funny haha I promise I'm not that dull.

Good night!

Gonna tag a couple of legends @haseeb_jarral @redbull114
(edited 5 years ago)
aha that was me at the start too. Dw, you'll learn all the tricks in the book soon enough 😊

yes please! And don't do yourself like that lmao. If you're applying to medicine, everyone counts and I'm sure you're more than capable of getting in! I mean just look at those GCSE grades 🤤

Thank youuuu! And let's not make assumptions like that please 😂

Hahaha thanks, and yeah we all need to stay positive, you make a good point 😂😂
Hahaha thanks, and yeah we all need to stay positive, you make a good point 😂😂

so true, this year is gonna be a mad one.
I need some sleep, early start tomorrow...
cya later!
Original post by Sinnoh
Gonna be honest, it's best you lay off the sample personal statements, they really just make you more nervous.
I took my laptop to the library to write it - it helped a ton, because you kind of have to work if you go all the way there. It's like a crack house but for productivity.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. If they're on the internet they're only gonna be the best of the best else people wouldn't want to show them off I suppose.
I keep planning to go to the library as it really does help!- but I'm not sure on the availability of WiFi and power supply. It's an hour walk, and normally by the time I'm up and at em it's 1/2 o clock and I feel it'd be a waste. Nearer the end of the holiday I might do, though nearer the end of the holiday I might need a real crack house ready for y13.

Thank you for your tips haha, what is it you're up to now? (I wish you luck in it, unless you're a hitman or something)
so true, this year is gonna be a mad one.
I need some sleep, early start tomorrow...
cya later!

I refuse to even think about the coming storm, what I don't think about can't hurt me (or so I'm telling myself)
Night!
Reply 18
Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. If they're on the internet they're only gonna be the best of the best else people wouldn't want to show them off I suppose.
I keep planning to go to the library as it really does help!- but I'm not sure on the availability of WiFi and power supply. It's an hour walk, and normally by the time I'm up and at em it's 1/2 o clock and I feel it'd be a waste. Nearer the end of the holiday I might do, though nearer the end of the holiday I might need a real crack house ready for y13.

Thank you for your tips haha, what is it you're up to now? (I wish you luck in it, unless you're a hitman or something)

I'm still writing my PS :smile: I just got a lot done today at the library compared to before. I just used google docs, running on a mobile hotspot from my phone, but you don't really need wifi to write a personal statement. No public transport?
I'm applying for physics, seems you're applying for medicine? Good luck!
Original post by Sinnoh
I'm still writing my PS :smile: I just got a lot done today at the library compared to before. I just used google docs, running on a mobile hotspot from my phone, but you don't really need wifi to write a personal statement. No public transport?
I'm applying for physics, seems you're applying for medicine? Good luck!

Ah, fair enough. And no you don't really, especially since I use word anyway.
Yeah there's buses I suppose but they aren't very regular and I'm super tight. Maybe I'm just making excuses 😂😂😂

Good luck with your physics- I know it can be pretty intense to apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest