The Student Room Group

Would you date someone with OCD?

I’m a guy and I’m not really very old yet but it’s just one of those things I found about when I was quite young.

I’ve never really had a long term relationship because it always got in the way. I don’t really want to tell the people I date about it because I know they will dump me but then they notice something is wrong with me and dump me anyway.

I was wondering (and please answer honestly): would you date someone with OCD? What questions would you have if you were dating someone and they told you they have it? And would it bother you - if you were still willing to date them?
Reply 1
Well tidy is good but OCD daaaaam ide find it quite annoying and I would feel insecure ...
Reply 2
What type of OCD do you have ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a guy and I’m not really very old yet but it’s just one of those things I found about when I was quite young.

I’ve never really had a long term relationship because it always got in the way. I don’t really want to tell the people I date about it because I know they will dump me but then they notice something is wrong with me and dump me anyway.

I was wondering (and please answer honestly): would you date someone with OCD? What questions would you have if you were dating someone and they told you they have it? And would it bother you - if you were still willing to date them?

I would date someone with OCD, yes. I would ask them about how it affects their daily life and how I can help make life easier for them. Imo it's not a good enough reason to not date someone solely for having OCD.
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
I would date someone with OCD, yes. I would ask them about how it affects their daily life and how I can help make life easier for them. Imo it's not a good enough reason to not date someone solely for having OCD.

Yea, I agree.
So, what's OCD? Is it like the think detective Monk has?
I read this as OCR at first.

Also maybe telling them before they think that you're weird could help. Explain to you can't help the actions that it causes.
Reply 7
Sozard 😂
But to answer ya question
No I wouldn’t date someone with OCD
So does that help 😂😂😂
No. I have OCD myself and there's a concern from me that we'd end up triggering each other / making each other's OCD worse.
Reply 9
depends how bad the OCD is. i've struggled with it off and on my entire life (gets worse the more stress i'm under) but it's not so bad that it would affect another person's life. tbh i couldn't be with someone with OCD if it affected my life or our relationship. i have enough mental health problems of my own so it would be unhealthy for both of us.
It wouldn't stop me from dating them, no. I'd just like to be aware what triggers them and what I can do to help. I can't imagine the relationship working if they didn't communicate their feelings and tell me what helps and what doesn't.
Nope, have it myself, it strains relationships.
Original post by Tiger Rag
No. I have OCD myself and there's a concern from me that we'd end up triggering each other / making each other's OCD worse.

Completely understand that, family curse.
I have done so. It was very stressful. It would depend on the person , but I've learnt OCD doesn't mix well with my problems.
So long as my partner and I could make it work I'd have no trouble with it although I assume it would get a bit stressful at times
Yes, I would as long as they were willing to get help for it. I have been in and out of therapy all my life for OCD and I know the devastating effect it can have on the sufferer and those around them. A lot of people mock the illness or don't actually know what it truly is and the condition can affect every part of your life, especially relationships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending