Do I need to put my failed probation period on my CV?

Watch
stickylikehoney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I failed my probation period. Do I need to put I work there on my CV or can I just leave it off?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stickylikehoney)
I failed my probation period. Do I need to put I work there on my CV or can I just leave it off?
No because for a CV you can choose what information you wish to include.. They are unlikely to notice or care.
6iX 9iNE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why would you?
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
Do you genuinely think other employers won't care? Because my dad said it's three months work experience after all. I mean I got paid too.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you genuinely think other employers won't care? Because my dad said it's three months work experience after all. I mean I got paid too.
Which is going to be worse for your CV a failed probation or a three month gap? In almost all circumstances a failed probation is worse, it's a big red flag to an employer.
KanyesVest
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A failed probation could also be spun the other way, in that you realised that you weren’t suited to the job and you think this one would be a much better fit etc..
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
If I just leave it off my CV is it ok then?!
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
imo yes. You could include it and put it down as more an internship or work experience. I dont think its a big deal either way as long as you do not lie.
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
Well if they ask for a reference and I said its work experience they might find out. I'm thinking I just leave it off?
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you leave it off, what will you say you did in the gap?
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student-95)
If you leave it off, what will you say you did in the gap?
3 month gap isn't that big really. Can say I travelled and looked for work.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
3 month gap isn't that big really. Can say I travelled and looked for work.
Did you travel though? Some background checks will want proof and getting caught in a lie will look worse. If you're going to try to hide it then make a story that's harder to verify.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can leave it off by all means, as someone has pointed out - CVs are there to make you look good and show your strengths and what skills you have. Obviously leaving it off means you can't use it as a reference but if you failed your probation period you probably wouldn't want one off them anyway.
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
You can leave it off by all means, as someone has pointed out - CVs are there to make you look good and show your strengths and what skills you have. Obviously leaving it off means you can't use it as a reference but if you failed your probation period you probably wouldn't one off them anyway.
Yes I agree. But how would I explain the gap like the others are saying? Like if I said I was travelling and only went travelling for two weeks will they do background checks and then I get in trouble for not revealing I worked there?
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How old are you, what qualifications do you have, how long ago was the probation period, have you had other jobs before or since?
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes I agree. But how would I explain the gap like the others are saying? Like if I said I was travelling and only went travelling for two weeks will they do background checks and then I get in trouble for not revealing I worked there?
I highly doubt a company will check where you went travelling and how long for. Just say you were looking for work. I've had a gap of not working since November because the management were awful at the company I worked for and I had different things to prioritise.
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
I highly doubt a company will check where you went travelling and how long for. Just say you were looking for work. I've had a gap of not working since November because the management were awful at the company I worked for and I had different things to prioritise.
Ok. When I failed the probation the company just said they didnt think the role was right for me, they might not necessarily give a bad reference.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok. When I failed the probation the company just said they didnt think the role was right for me, they might not necessarily give a bad reference.
Well that's good. It's up to you then if you include it on the CV - if you think they'll give a decent reference and/or have learnt skills from the role put it on, if you don't want any potentially awkward questions, leave it off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.04%
I need help researching courses (9)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
4.97%
I need help with my personal statement (68)
42.24%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (39)
24.22%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
8.07%

Watched Threads