Should philosophy be a core subject other than RS?

Watch
username3558104
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I think it should be as it teaches you how to think, and how other people think as well. It encompasses a lot of ideas which are required in society unlike RS which just teaches religion (50% of the RS curriculum).
username3934898
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yeah. i wasn't a fan of rs and the debates we had in class were so emotional because some believers thought others were trying to personally attack them. plus most of the time everyone just agreed with each other so there was no discussion to begin with. philosophy is more interesting and like you mentioned, it definitely teaches people to think more about things.
username3558104
Rep:
?
(Original post by rainclouds-)
yeah. i wasn't a fan of rs and the debates we had in class were so emotional because some believers thought others were trying to personally attack them. plus most of the time everyone just agreed with each other so there was no discussion to begin with. philosophy is more interesting and like you mentioned, it definitely teaches people to think more about things.
Agreed, this one time in RS a debate about being gay in religion turned to a girl saying her religion forbids being gay, so she thinks it's disgusting. School kids are usually not mature enough to hold a debate that isn't emotionally charged. However, philosophy looks at life through a lens of logic, which is great.
nickbarrow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As a student who is anxiously waiting for their A level results, one of which being philosophy, i feel as though i am biased in saying this but i do agree. However, your point on how the fact that RS is 50% religion is bad, i do not fully agree with.
Personally i believe learning about religions, and learning their similarities in particular, will be incredibily important to shape future minds to be more accepting in the mutli cultural societies we are becoming.
You will find that most whom have a particular hate toward another relgion, are either misinformed about it or are deliberately ignorant of the particulars - similarilar to any form of hate whereby it is unto someone different to oneself.

Philosophy, or perhaps for a younger GCSE esque audience the basic logical principles and deep outisde of the box thinkibg, is greatly beneficial to any mind, young or old. When grasped and interacted with sufficiently, it enables a firm building ground for intellectual thought and thus debate, rendering students more able to grasp complex concepts via improved logical thought processes or simply their ability to sit and think about it calmly.

Perhaps an 'Opening minds' type class, opening students' minds to the world around them and how to tackle it?
username3934898
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by seriouslygcse)
Agreed, this one time in RS a debate about being gay in religion turned to a girl saying her religion forbids being gay, so she thinks it's disgusting. School kids are usually not mature enough to hold a debate that isn't emotionally charged. However, philosophy looks at life through a lens of logic, which is great.
I agree somewhat about the emotionally charged bit. I just don't think that school kids have the knowledge that they need to know. I think all the information they have is very one sided - some school kids only know the stuff they read online and some believe the holy books are everything because they have never opened their mind to new discussion. I'm agnostic so I always found RS lessons dull and when I used to be religious I wanted to solely learn about my religion and I didn't enjoy learning about other faiths that much. Plus based on personal experience most atheists don't care at all about RS lol so yes the logical aspects are needed.
username3558104
Rep:
?
(Original post by rainclouds-)
I agree somewhat about the emotionally charged bit. I just don't think that school kids have the knowledge that they need to know. I think all the information they have is very one sided - some school kids only know the stuff they read online and some believe the holy books are everything because they have never opened their mind to new discussion. I'm agnostic so I always found RS lessons dull and when I used to be religious I wanted to solely learn about my religion and I didn't enjoy learning about other faiths that much. Plus based on personal experience most atheists don't care at all about RS lol so yes the logical aspects are needed.
Yeah. I think both subjects should be combined to form one that teaches you concepts and to have an open mind.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If argue politics needs to be core subject rather than philosophy. But, yes. I don’t think that religion in today’s age needs to be a set subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads