For Britain party Watch

karl pilkington
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thoughts on this party? I really like Anne Marie Waters. They seem like they have some pretty good ideas if you agree with hem then spread the word about them.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Ah yes, the woman who was too islamaphobic even for UKIP. I'm sure her party will be a roaring success, just like the BNP and National Front.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It’s the bnp for the LGBT community.
JaydorIV
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
ooh, I like them.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
You Kipper
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Anne Marie Waters is too left wing- she may oppose violent Islam more then our waste of space career politicians but other than that she is nothing special- You could argue she falls under the Blue Labour ideology.
Joe5001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anne Maire Waters , is What we need She is Correct we need her
Mossbourne
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Urgh, not another one...
TensorTympani
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oof
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dez)
Ah yes, the woman who was too islamaphobic even for UKIP. I'm sure her party will be a roaring success, just like the BNP and National Front.
Lucky it's a made up word with a faulty definition then isn't it.
Burridge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
Lucky it's a made up word with a faulty definition then isn't it.
I'm pretty sure islamophobia has a scholarly definition. It's as real as anti-semitism or any other form of racism.

But you're right insofar as it's a made up word, all words are made up I guess :borat:
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burridge)
I'm pretty sure islamophobia has a scholarly definition. It's as real as anti-semitism or any other form of racism.

But you're right insofar as it's a made up word, all words are made up I guess :borat:
Not really. The man who coined the phrase now regrets doing so after educating himself on the issue.
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/0...-islamophobia/

It does have a poorly thought out definition which includes a dislike of "Muslims And Islam". Fear of Islam as a political force is far from irrational therefore cannot be a phobia.
Burridge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not really. The man who coined the phrase now regrets doing so after educating himself on the issue.
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/0...-islamophobia/
The Runnymede Trust didn't coin the phrase, it had existed long before that report was published. It appeared in the Oxford English Dictionary in 1923.

I've just read the Spectator piece. Philips Sunday Times piece is behind a paywall, but from the direct quotes in the Spectator article, he doesn't seem to show any regret about using the word 'islamophobia' (which was specifically the point you made). What he seems to indicate is that there were profound pitfalls with the report that was produced in 1997, which is a separate debate entirely.

Not to mention, the man himself has been shrouded in controversy as of late. He's influential but certainly isn't a sole authority on the issue.

It does have a poorly thought out definition which includes a dislike of "Muslims And Islam". Fear of Islam as a political force is far from irrational therefore cannot be a phobia.
Ahh, that old chestnut. It's the equivalent is arguing that since some spiders are venomous and harmful to humans it'd be wrong to categorise arachnophobia as 'irrational'. Don't get too hung up on the semantics.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ahh, that old chestnut. It's the equivalent is arguing that since some spiders are venomous and harmful to humans it'd be wrong to categorise arachnophobia as 'irrational'. Don't get too hung up on the semantics.
How is that a semantic argument? Can you not see the difference between criticism of an idea and criticism of people as humans?
Arachnophobia is more a western concept as poisonous spiders are very rare in most of the western world. Whereas the issues Trevor Phillips points to are not rare. I.e 52% of British Muslims wanting homosexuality illegal. I imagine if 52% of spiders in the UK were poisonous, the term arachnophobia would be revised or struck off.

In its defence, the dictionary definition of islamophobia does include the political force aspect. It's only pop culture and the media which have turned the word into a pejorative.
Last edited by Jebedee; 2 weeks ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
googled them. Going through their page that says what they are:

summery:

-Anti-EU
-UK citizens are the priority
-Accountable public services
-Free speech
-Traditional British liberty
-Rights of the individual
-Capitalism
etc. etc.

They are UKIP.

Anyone reading their website will quickly realize, they are just UKIP.

UKIP is now seemingly breading with itself and creating babies.. from 1 party, we now seem to have 3, UKIP, For Britian, farages' new party (maybe more) who all stand for the exact same thing.

They all piss me off though, because they all get in the way of what I would really love to see which is an actual sensible non-racist conservative-leaning party form.

Right now if your on the conservative side of british politics your choice is:

New-labour in disguise (the current tory party)
or
A shambolic mess of poor leadership, fragmentation, racism, and generally incapable individuals (UKIP + clones)

There is no actual conservative, decent, traditionalist option, for those who are not racist, don't want to kiss the arse of big business, don't love or hate immigration, just want it in check, and just want to approach change a bit slower and with a bit more questioning and skepticism. An actual decent conservative option doesn't exist currently.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm pretty sure islamophobia has a scholarly definition.
No, it doesn't. It has an inherently flawed definition... "Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force" - OED
I'm sure you can see the problem there.
"Dislike of Islam, especially as a political force" is something that pretty much any rational, liberal, humanist would happily own up to.
"Prejudice against Muslims" is something those same people would be wholeheartedly opposed to.

It's as real as anti-semitism or any other form of racism.
If it is used to describe racism, then it is again a flawed term. The claim itself is somewhat racist as it implies that all Muslims are "brown foreigners" in some way.

Basically, anti-Muslim prejudice based on ethnicity is simply racism and xenophobia and should be called that. Do we have a specific term for racism against African Christians or Chinese Buddhists? When someone ridicules the idea of a multi-armed, elephant god are they branded a Hinduophobe and tarred with a racist brush?
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hardly an "old chestnut". The definition contains two entirely different and potentially contradictory concepts. Hardly "semantics".

Your analogy is not apposite as although some people do indeed have an irrational fear of Muslims (hence all the claims of the "Islamification of Britain", etc), that is not what the term "Islamophobe" attempts to describe.
There are four logically coherent definitions that should be employed:
1. Islamophobes - those people who fear that the country is being taken over by Muslims.
2. Racist xenophobes - those people who dislike Muslims because they are Brown Foreigners.
3. Liberals - those who criticise and oppose the unacceptable elements of Islamic ideology.
4. Rationalists - those who criticise and ridicule Islam for being a load of iron-age superstitious nonsense.

These definitions can be combined where appropriate. I am certainly a "Liberal Rationalist".
Mossbourne
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
googled them. Going through their page that says what they are:

summery:

-Anti-EU
-UK citizens are the priority
-Accountable public services
-Free speech
-Traditional British liberty
-Rights of the individual
-Capitalism
etc. etc.

They are UKIP.

Anyone reading their website will quickly realize, they are just UKIP.

UKIP is now seemingly breading with itself and creating babies.. from 1 party, we now seem to have 3, UKIP, For Britian, farages' new party (maybe more) who all stand for the exact same thing.

They all piss me off though, because they all get in the way of what I would really love to see which is an actual sensible non-racist conservative-leaning party form.

Right now if your on the conservative side of british politics your choice is:

New-labour in disguise (the current tory party)
or
A shambolic mess of poor leadership, fragmentation, racism, and generally incapable individuals (UKIP + clones)

There is no actual conservative, decent, traditionalist option, for those who are not racist, don't want to kiss the arse of big business, don't love or hate immigration, just want it in check, and just want to approach change a bit slower and with a bit more questioning and skepticism. An actual decent conservative option doesn't exist currently.
The Brexit Party ≠ UKIP, we are not racist.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mossbourne)
The Brexit Party ≠ UKIP, we are not racist.
you'll have to justify that for me.. because as far as I see it:
(if you are a brexit-party supporter)

Your policies are the same
Your leader is their old leader (the same)
Your voters are the same
Mossbourne
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
you'll have to justify that for me.. because as far as I see it:
(if you are a brexit-party supporter)

Your policies are the same
Your leader is their old leader (the same)
Your voters are the same
The BP is essentially pre-referendum UKIP, which were not racist and did not employ racists in the same way they do now. I will gladly back the Tories when they elect a proper Brexiteer as leader
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (4)
33.33%
The paper was reasonable (3)
25%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
8.33%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
33.33%

Watched Threads