Do you ever drop books or do you always finish them?

Watch
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sometimes, it is hard to finish a book because it is bad or we are too busy. :sad: However, there are also people who never drop a book, no matter how tedious it is and how busy they are! :shock:

Which one are you? Do you ever drop books or do you stick until the end no matter what? :curious:
Citizenofpanem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The only book I can recall not finishing was Fifty Shades of Grey. I didn’t know what it was about when I bought it as the hype hadn’t really kicked in. The writing quality is absolutely bloody awful.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll always finish a book if it's any good. Being too busy is never an issue as I only ever read before bed.
username3934898
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
normally i stick to the end. if a book is that boring i'll skip straight to the last few pages of the book and then decide if it's worth reading the whole thing.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Citizenofpanem)
The only book I can recall not finishing was Fifty Shades of Grey. I didn’t know what it was about when I bought it as the hype hadn’t really kicked in. The writing quality is absolutely bloody awful.
This is one of the few books I have never finished. Any attempt to do so made me too angry to continue. This book sent so much misinformation on what BDSM actually is out into a mainstream audience. Christian Grey gives doms a bad name. :grumble:

I always do my best to try and finish a book. If I'm getting fed-up with it, but I've already read much of it, I'll try and persevere to the end. That's when I start speed reading vs taking my time and actually enjoying the text.
Sxnna.16
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I always try to finish books. Although ONE time I didn’t was when I was reading this trilogy. It didn’t make much sense but okay the first book was good, the second book was decent and the third book literally made me so mad so I stopped reading it
username2998742
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll try to finish books if they're somewhat decent. But I have better books to read so if I don't like it, I'll drop it.
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have been guilty of dropping books, but that's usually a last resort. I remember when I was in the school book club we all decided to drop a book because the writing and grammar was so bad. I think only 1 person finished it, and it wasn't even the librarian! :lol:.But yeah life's too short to read books you don't like.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I usually finish them even if they’re not my cup of tea, to see if they improve and to broaden my range a little. Sometimes I have to give up on a book though, especially if I can’t get on with the main character
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
Sometimes, it is hard to finish a book because it is bad or we are too busy. :sad: However, there are also people who never drop a book, no matter how tedious it is and how busy they are! :shock:

Which one are you? Do you ever drop books or do you stick until the end no matter what? :curious:
I a book reader who counts to the latter: I am reading a book till its finished. I am never to busy for finishing, and even if a book is so tedious to read - that happened once so far - I read as long as the end is reached. I can't judge about a book, if I drop it.
Michiyo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
After reading this thread, I am a bit ashamed to say that I have dropped books in the past. :getmecoat:

Usually, I try to stick to the end. But sometimes, a book is just too horrible for me to finish it. Dark Lover by J R Ward was one such book, for example. I managed to tough it through circa 300-360 out of 400-450 pages or so, but in the end, I became unable to bear it anymore and dropped it, never to look at it again. Also, I sometimes drop books unintentionally because I become swamped with work, though more often than not, I come back to them later and finish them when that is the case.
4D Chess
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I always drop books onto the floor, it's proper annoying.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do try to read books all the way through.
I do sometimes drop books though, if i cant really get into it or its too tedious, or just plain boring.
Haviland-Tuf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I started reading Frank Herbet's Dune the other day. I got 10 pages in and I got bored. I ended up just watching the 1987 movie adaptation and I'm even more confused now.
mr poopybutthole
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't complete around 60% of the books I read regardless of whether I liked them or not. If it takes me more than a few days to read something because I'm busy then the book's not getting finished m8
CatFurlong
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I constantly dropped books throughout year 13 of college as I was just so busy I couldn't remember the plot when I did manage to find some time to read! But taking a gap year, I'm now reading so much I finish a book in 2-3 days
PilboBaggins
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)

Hmmm, I used to never be able to drop a book, but as I've got older I've realized there's not much point reading books you don't like when there are so many amazing books out there!

Although, I do still find it a little aggravating if I don't finish a book.
wildfey
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've always been a relatively fast reader, so I never used to drop books. Unfortunately, that's changed in the last year due to lack of time as I finished my a-levels. I think that if you're someone who reads library books a lot, you do have to drop more often, or you'll end up with late fees.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's very rare that I give up on a book, but sometimes I will try something new to see if I like it and if I don't I will stop reading it. My partner is always trying to get me to read books that he likes, but I don't like the genre, so I'll read a bit of them and then stop.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads