Should I open track first or my results first? Watch

Poll: Which will you check first on A-level results day?
Track (189)
67.74%
Exam results (90)
32.26%
lucymoose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Track updates at 8am but my results come out at 10am, which would you open first?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Divergent4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Track
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You should open track first for a couple of reasons : 1) it gets the most stressful part out of the way - you will know whether you've got in or not. If you've got in then you can feel more relaxed in getting your results 2) If you haven't got in then you need to use the whole day to sort things out - it's best to know as early as possible
ally2000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Checking track first could be positive or negative. It may not update immediately due to the volume of people checking, which personally would stress me out. You could find out you have met your requirements for the uni you want, which would be great to collect your results with confidence or you could find out you haven't been accepted by the uni you wanted, which personally would make me stressed about collecting my results and having to face everyone - but I guess knowing before gives you time to prepare yourself privately beforehand and decide what to do.

Overall, I guess it's personal preference with how you handle stress/nerves and how confident you are about your results.

I know I'm avoiding track at all costs until I've opened my results lol
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Personally for me I didn't even check track on the day, but that might be because I had an unconditional offer -oops-
I checked my results, was pleased, and that was that.
My significant other checked his results first as well and then checked track.
Sophtheelf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’m checking track first
Sam280297
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I checked my track first which as it came back positive, I went into college later on that day with much less stress than I had have done if I didn't check straight away. Obviously had I not have got in it'd have made me much more stressed but at least I'd have been prepared for it.
I think a good idea could possibly be to get to your college and before you go in check your track, that way if you dont meet your offer you can go straight in for support rather than stress at home for possibly up to a few hours and if you dont meet your offer but still get in you wont worry too much when you open your results.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by lucymoose)
Track updates at 8am but my results come out at 10am, which would you open first?
I've added a poll :ninja: Hope that's okay
GalGirl101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm checking Track first. If I get in, I can go into school chilled out but if I don't then I can think of options at home, go to school and find a place quickly.

but people do have a point that track doesn't update quickly enough (god i hope qmul does!)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
For what it's worth - 1 in 8 applicants will have no updates on Track on results day (for all sorts of reasons) - so check it but don't bank on getting a clear answer (also it's common to be accepted with lower grades - so don't be too cocky if you're UF, and it's not unknown to be rejected with grades meeting the offer - so don't panic too much if it's bad news).

pdf version
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I checked Track first (it had already updated by the time I woke up at 7:30am, whereas my school didn't open to collect results until 9:00). Personally, I think checking Track first is a good idea - I knew a few people who missed their offer grades but were still accepted by their firm, and they would have had a lot of unnecessary stress if they had got their results first.
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I opened track first as it updated an hour before it was due to and I'm glad I did. If I'd checked my grades `i would have been devastated and stressed.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by lucymoose)
I was refreshing Track like a maniac on the train to sixth form hehehe
dirtmother
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Much debate chez Dirtmother. Track opened before School for results. I voted for Track, prospective student said no.

But he did look at his email - and found his Firm had emailed to confirm his place and welcome him.

Thank goodness as when he got his results, although he'd only dropped a grade overall (which his firm had hinted might not be a deal breaker) and he'd met total points for insurance (and liked his insurance too)... he did unexpectedly badly in what could be considered the key subject. It was like a punch in the stomach (still pissed off about it a couple of years later) - got Ds in both A2 papers. Might have been panic stations if he hadn't known his Firm place was in the bag.
ki55mynuts
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Does anyone know if the results day sheet they hand you has the UMS/Grades for previous exams you sat. I have resat 2 maths modules but I need to know what my overall grade in maths is since I dont know the last years total UMS I scored.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ki55mynuts)
Does anyone know if the results day sheet they hand you has the UMS/Grades for previous exams you sat. I have resat 2 maths modules but I need to know what my overall grade in maths is since I dont know the last years total UMS I scored.
which exam board are you studying with?
JennLousie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’m checking Track first so that I can either go and get my results feeling more relaxed or with a plan of what I’m going to do next
morc13
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Track. The self-control needed to no open track on results day would be of an extremely high level
ki55mynuts
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
which exam board are you studying with?
Its OCR MEI!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
For what it's worth - 1 in 8 applicants will have no updates on Track on results day (for all sorts of reasons) - so check it but don't bank on getting a clear answer (also it's common to be accepted with lower grades - so don't be too cocky if you're UF, and it's not unknown to be rejected with grades meeting the offer - so don't panic too much if it's bad news).
I can attest to this. Back in 2009 when I was in your situation OP, I went into sixth form first and got my results (I had achieved enough UCAS points but not the exact grades to go to my firm choice). I went home, expecting my firm choice university to have updated Track by then, but it hadn't. In the end, I didn't receive a decision from my firm choice uni until 5pm the day after results day, which turned out to be a rejection (and please note that Clearing had been open for at least 2 full days by that point). It was a horrible situation to be in, and I just hope that the university in question isn't still conducting their results day practices like that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads