Do we really need religion to guide morality? Watch

username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Personally I don't feel so. I can understand why people created religion, as they felt they need some guidelines and a kind of framework to live however there are so many different religions and versions of God out there that I think it's not essential. I don't think man made books are the best way to go about it. If someone is a good person that treats others well that should be ok, however different religions have different rules so who do you trust? Most people will say think their own religion is the truth but most of the time they're just saying that as they've been bought up in that religion so most of the time have only heard about messages supporting that religion which brainwashes them. Religion is more about control more than anything.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
No. We would have developed desirable traits such as cooperation, generosity, sharing etc. early in our evolutionary history (as these help with survival), long before we invented religions.

The latter simply took and modified morals that were already present in human civilisations.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Nope.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
No. Many religions have vile morals mixed with some good ones.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
iamElectro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
No, religion is man made, and mortality has nothing to do with it.
Dobby's Phoenix
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A very interesting question. I think this should be split into two parts- 1) To what extent is religion currently guiding morality, and 2) Could morality evolve beyond needing religion to guide it. Here is my interpretation of these two questions but of course they are very much open to interpretation.

There are a few problems that are presented when we talk about “morality” as a whole, as the moral standards people hold themselves to differ from nation to nation and from person to person. However, there are certain moral standards that seem almost universal- Do not kill, forgiveness, and various others. It would be frankly false to pretend that these are not embedded into society as a general (but not exclusive) rule, and It would also be false to assume that these do not stem from religion. Some of the oldest scripture and moral teachings are of a religious nature, and although many non-religious people have never even picked up a bible or a Quran, the moral values that were introduced by religions have lived on and permeated their lives nonetheless. So, to answer question 1, Religion currently guides morality general moral standards are generally a result of religious teaching. This can be backed up with a mountain of evidence but for the sake of this response, I shan’t go into such depth.

Question 2 is a more interesting one. In order for morality to exist completely separately and unjointed to religion, it would actually have to evolve to a completely different state, in my opinion. For how could morals which have evolved from religion be claimed to be separate from it? However, current religious teachings are unlikely to affect the morality of the general atheist population, yet previous teachings clearly have affected their morality, evidenced by the fact that non-religious people generally adhere to similar moral standards to those of religious people. It is important to understand that I do not mean specific morals such as praying or vegetarianism for example, but the broader moral principles that we all hold, which keep us from killing everyone and destroying society. So, could morality evolve beyond the guiding hand of religion? Probably not, as moral standards would have to significantly change from the established principals which stemmed from religion, and this is unlikely.
Qaz25
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A question that has been asked for thousands of years... I don't think a bunch of kids on TSR are going to prove more insightful than the many texts written on this subject by extremely learned individuals.

The resulting answer is no one really knows because no one in thousands of years has lived in a world when religion of some sort didn't exist.

We are shaped by the world we live in. Our mindset is shaped from the beginning. We are all brainwashed to think a certain way and the brainwashing continues throughout your life.

plus there is the slight issue of who determines what morality is?

Basically the question opens up a can of worms before you even begin to answer lol
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 7 months ago
human rights law is based on natural law, which is based on the belief in God and that humans have 'natural rights' just for being human. this would be the right to life, right to dignity, right to liberty and security, freedom from torture and slavery, etc. i realise not all countries are good at practising human rights, but there is (at least) a partially universal belief that killing is bad and respect for life is good. so why is that? why do believers and non-believers agree on this? imho it comes from God, but not religion. maybe religion corrupts it.
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Not at all. The majority of prisoners identify as religious, there's a tiny minority of prisoners who are Atheist. Numerous things lead to morality and if people think that religion is the only thing that can lead to that, then they're not all there.
boliston
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
most things to do with religion represent nagative rather than positive values
JaydorIV
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Absolutely, God knows what's best for us, that's why he has rules for us.

society could go on without God and his guidelines, but the morality of society will just deteriorate as it already is and lead to their own destruction. so if that's what you want then go ahead🤷.

society is already guiding morality on their own without religion anyway in my opinion.
FailedMyMocks
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Of course we do.

Without God there would be no morality.

If we lacked morality human traits like kindness would not exist.
iamElectro
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by FailedMyMocks)
Of course we do.

Of course there would, and there is. I'm an atheist and I'm as moral as you. Have you seen any atheist bombing and killing people? Oh wait, I've seen religious people do that!
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Of course we do.

Nonsense. Moral traits are evolutionarily beneficial, we wouldn’t have survived if our primitive ancestors didn’t help each other, share, work together to catch food and look after infants etc. These traits would have existed before religions.

We even see these kind of behaviours in many other social animals, disproving the notion that religion is the source of morality.
FailedMyMocks
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by iamElectro)
Of course there would, and there is. I'm an atheist and I'm as moral as you. Have you seen any atheist bombing and killing people? Oh wait, I've seen religious people do that!
I would argue that your morality comes from God - The fact that you don't believe in him means nothing.
iamElectro
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would argue that your morality comes from God - The fact that you don't believe in him means nothing.
?????

This makes no sense! How do I get my morality from God if I don't believe he EXISTS???
FailedMyMocks
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
?????

This makes no sense! How do I get my morality from God if I don't believe he EXISTS???
God has given you life, what's so absurd in thinking he has given you morality? The fact that you don't believe god exists doesn't mean you don't get your morality from him.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
?????

Are the delusional fools helping you?
iamElectro
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
God has given you life, what's so absurd in thinking he has given you morality? The fact that you don't believe god exists doesn't mean you don't get your morality from him.
God has not GIVEN me life because he DOESN'T FREAKING EXIST!!! You take the existence of God for granted, and I DONT! I'm sorry but you really make no sense... It's like a Muslim telling you "you have to pray to Allah five times per day" (I think it's five I'm not sure) and you reply "but I don't believe in Allah" and he says "but Allah says you HAVE to pray to him". It doesn't make sense to you, right?
iamElectro
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by random_matt)
Are the delusional fools helping you?
Who are you talking about?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (155)
18.83%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (81)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (140)
17.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (116)
14.09%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (252)
30.62%

Watched Threads