What is expected when asked to write a book summary?

Watch
FallingFree
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm going into sixth form in September to study psychology as one of my subjects and have been asked to read a book over the summer and write a summary of every chapter to hand-in when classes start. I was curious to what this would entail at A-level standards as have heard the step from GCSE's and sixth form is huge. Just a detailed explanation? Would I need to include quotations from the book? if so, how do I reference? - never been taught how....The book is by Oliver Sacks and is called 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat' if it helps. Any replies much appreciated x
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FallingFree)
I'm going into sixth form in September to study psychology as one of my subjects and have been asked to read a book over the summer and write a summary of every chapter to hand-in when classes start. I was curious to what this would entail at A-level standards as have heard the step from GCSE's and sixth form is huge. Just a detailed explanation? Would I need to include quotations from the book? if so, how do I reference? - never been taught how....The book is by Oliver Sacks and is called 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat' if it helps. Any replies much appreciated x
Have they given you any idea of how many words they are expecting?
Normally 500 words would be enough to summarise a book, but i seems they want a summary of every chapter

There look to be 24 chapters [ 4 parts] and a summary could be c 100-150 words depending on the detail. Add on an overview of 200-300 words then that could be quite a lengthy review. You need to check. Even a 100 words is going to be over 2500.

I have a feeling the teacher just wants you to have read it.

Quotations I dont think would be necessary unless noteworthy. Mostly I would miss them out.

If you are only summarising then am not sure you need to reference either as you are just summarising whats contained in a chapter.

When you are going through the chapters then I suggest you have a method, so you mention certain points in each one and that forumal will help you write more efficiently. i.e make 6 points. Name, what the case was about, authors insight or attempting to show , any observation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (60)
13.19%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (58)
12.75%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (175)
38.46%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (48)
10.55%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (90)
19.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
5.27%

Watched Threads