The Student Room Group

Joint honours combinations

As you may know, at some Scottish universities you are able to study three subjects in first year, and if you do well you are able to progress to honours level in two of the subjects.

I'd really like to study English Lit, French and Philosophy, but due to Glasgow's dire career prospects for the latter I'm thinking of studying Economics instead. Don't get me wrong, I am interested in Economics and I'm sure I'd do pretty well at it. However, if I did choose to study English Lit and Economics as joint honours (it is possible) then it would be a fairly odd combination - the subjects are not particularly related as far as I'm concerned. Joint honours combinations with English Lit tend to be courses like Philosophy, Politics, History or a language. A quick seach on UCAS shows that Aberdeen, Glasgow and St. Andrews are the only universities in Scotland offering English and Economics as joint honours, so it clearly would be quite an unusual choice - but then again, these universities all have decent reputations and graduate prospects, so I'd imagine it isn't a worthless degree.

Would it really matter that the subjects are not similar or would English Lit and Economics be a worthwhile combination?
It doesn't matter greatly what subjects you pick. If those universities are offering the combination then they'll be fine. If you go anywhere else and by the end of second year decide that you definitely want to take said joint honours degree then chances are that if you've passed both well enough something can be pulled together by your DoS and course organisers to allow you to do any combination.

For now start off on 3 first year subjects that you like and see where you go from there. With enough bugging of lecturers etc. you can do anything :p:

Latest