The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Do you not like the course you've picked?
Original post by somaia2000
i already have unconditional offer, but i want to apply for cleareing, can I DO THAT?

Firstly, you need to check whether other universities you may wish to attend have spaces on your course via the UCAS search. You can call them and obtain a verbal offer. Ensure that they are happy to hold this offer for you until you are released from your current university.

You would then need to contact your old university and ask them (politely) to release you into clearing. You should ask what their timescale is for this.

Once you are released, you can add your new course (which you have a verbal offer from) into your UCAS Track.
If you have an unconditional offer, you can only enter clearing if you get released from that offer.

You would need to contact your uni and ask to be released into clearing. This probably wouldn't happen immediately, as unis will be busy processing Scottish students (their results day is tomorrow) but your uni should be able to process the request by Wednesday. You could then apply to other courses in clearing.

However, this is very risky, as if you didn't find anything you preferred in clearing you would have lost your old offer and might be left with nothing.
Reply 4
l=
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If you have an unconditional offer, you can only enter clearing if you get released from that offer.

You would need to contact your uni and ask to be released into clearing. This probably wouldn't happen immediately, as unis will be busy processing Scottish students (their results day is tomorrow) but your uni should be able to process the request by Wednesday. You could then apply to other courses in clearing.

However, this is very risky, as if you didn't find anything you preferred in clearing you would have lost your old offer and might be left with nothing.

Thank you, I know it is very risky, what if I got score higher than my unconditional offer on the result day, can I apply through adjustment please?
l=

Thank you, I know it is very risky, what if I got score higher than my unconditional offer on the result day, can I apply through adjustment please?

As your offer is now unconditional, you can't exceed it. It doesn't matter if you exceed the original conditions of the offer, you won't be eligible for adjustment.

This is part of the reason unis give out unconditional offers in this way.
Reply 6
As your offer is now unconditional, you can't exceed it. It doesn't matter if you exceed the original conditions of the offer, you won't be eligible for adjustment.

This is part of the reason unis give out unconditional offers in this way.

When I received it it was unconditional and stay like that for 2 days, then they turn it to unconditional. I heard that if the offer at the beginning was unconditional, I will be illegible for adjustment!, am I right?
When I received it it was unconditional and stay like that for 2 days, then they turn it to unconditional. I heard that if the offer at the beginning was unconditional, I will be illegible for adjustment!, am I right?

I think at least one of those "unconditional" should read "conditional" but I think I get what you mean anyway :tongue:

Anyway, if you now hold an unconditional offer, you can't exceed the conditions on results day, so you won't be eligible for adjustment, sorry. The original conditions of your offer aren't relevant anymore. Unconditional offers work both ways- you can't be rejected by the uni, but you can't find a new offer via adjustment either.
Reply 8
I think at least one of those "unconditional" should read "conditional" but I think I get what you mean anyway :tongue:

Anyway, if you now hold an unconditional offer, you can't exceed the conditions on results day, so you won't be eligible for adjustment, sorry. The original conditions of your offer aren't relevant anymore. Unconditional offers work both ways- you can't be rejected by the uni, but you can't find a new offer via adjustment either.

Oh no, this is not fair. Can I call them and ask them to release my offer please?
Oh no, this is not fair. Can I call them and ask them to release my offer please?

You can call them and ask to be released, yes. Once you've done this, you won't be able to get your unconditional offer back though- if you do less well than expected on results day, for example.

The thing is, unis don't actually give out unconditional offers to benefit students as such. It's partly to encourage students to pick them over other unis, and also partly to lock students into their offers. I can see why you feel this is unfair, but it's something you maybe should have considered before accepting an unconditional offer.
You can call them and ask to be released, yes. Once you've done this, you won't be able to get your unconditional offer back though- if you do less well than expected on results day, for example.

The thing is, unis don't actually give out unconditional offers to benefit students as such. It's partly to encourage students to pick them over other unis, and also partly to lock students into their offers. I can see why you feel this is unfair, but it's something you maybe should have considered before accepting an unconditional offer.

I have been rejected by all the medical schools that I applied for, I was very disappointed, so I accepted the unconditional offer from the pharmacy school. However, one of the medical schools contacted me by email and invited me for interview, the acceptance will depend on my grades on the result day, they ask me to contact them regarding my grades. So I am confused about my situation if I get the grades required, How can I decline the unconditional offer for pharmacy

can you advise me pleasep ?
I have been rejected by all the medical schools that I applied for, I was very disappointed, so I accepted the unconditional offer from the pharmacy school. However, one of the medical schools contacted me by email and invited me for interview, the acceptance will depend on my grades on the result day, they ask me to contact them regarding my grades. So I am confused about my situation if I get the grades required, How can I decline the unconditional offer for pharmacy

This is a copy of the unconditional offer in my UCAS please check and advise please:

Congratulations! Your place to study Pharmacy, has been confirmed. Subject to you meeting any outstanding non-academic conditions* you’ll begin the course on 1 September 2018 with a point of entry 1.

If the university or college listed above was your insurance choice, your firm choice application has been unsuccessful. If you believe your firm choice should have accepted you, please contact the university or college immediately.

This letter is official proof of your place you may wish to print it to keep for your records.

When you accepted the offer of a place on this course, a contract was made between you and your chosen university or college. If you have changed your mind, please read the information below which explains what you need to do next depending on what you want to change.

If you received better grades than you expected, you may be able to secure a place on an alternative course using our Adjustment service.

There’s lots more advice to help you prepare for your studies at www.ucas.com

We wish you every success and the best of luck for the future.

Yours sincerely

UCAS

*Non-academic conditions may include inoculations, satisfactory medical report, police checks, etc. Please re-read the details of your offer and check with your university or college if you’re unsure which conditions apply.

If you’ve accepted an unconditional offer which was never conditional, and you now want to accept a place at a different university or college

If you accepted the unconditional offer within the last 14 days, you have the right to decline it if you let us know straight away. Contact our Customer Experience Centre on 0371 468 0 468 or +44 330 3330 230 (international) to decline your offer and discuss your options about accepting a different offer. After the 14 day period, you can only change your mind and not take up this place with the permission of the university or college whose offer you have accepted. To arrange this you will need to contact them and us. You can contact us on 0371 468 0 468 or +44 330 3330 230 (international). If you applied for only one choice and wish to apply for more, you will need to pay an additional £11 to do so or enter Clearing which you can do in Track.

If you’ve accepted a conditional offer which is now unconditional, and you want to accept a place at a different university or college

If you don’t want to take up this place, you can use Clearing to apply for other universities or colleges but only with permission from the university or college whose offer you have accepted. To arrange this you will need to contact them and us. You can contact us on 0371 468 0 468 or +44 330 3330 230 (international). If you applied for only one choice, you will need to pay an additional £11 to enter Clearing which you can do in Track.

If you want to defer your entry to 2019

You must contact the university or college to discuss deferring your entry. If they agree, they will update your application accordingly and you will be able to see this in Track. However you will not be able to apply for any other courses this year or send a new application for courses starting in 2019. If you later change your mind and don’t want the place at all, you can withdraw from the offer by completely withdrawing your application or, if you’ve been holding the deferred place for a long time, by contacting them and us on 0371 468 0 468 or +44 330 3330 230 (international) to arrange this.

If you want to change the course or point of entry on the course, but not the university or college

You must contact the university or college to discuss this. If they agree to the change they will update your application accordingly and you will be able to see this in Track.

If you no longer want to go to university or college

You can completely withdraw your application in Track but you won’t be able to send another application for courses starting in 2018. After withdrawing your application, you can send a new application for courses starting in 2019 if you wish.

Ugh, the med school shouldn't have really done things like this, but it could work well for you.

When you interview, explain you are holding an unconditional offer and it could take you a bit of time to get released from it on results day (all of this is true). Confirm with them that you won't be able to use adjustment as you hold an unconditional.

If you get an offer, get them to confirm in writing they will hold this offer for you for a reasonable amount of time for you to get released (this should be at least 48 hours after you get results but honestly I would push for at least a week as some unis can be ver slow about releasing people).

On results day if you achieve the results you need for med school, stay in touch with them, make sure you keep them updated, let them know when you should be able to add their offer as a clearing choice.

Do be aware that you're basically attempting to side step the UCAS system, so if you run into any problems, UCAS probably won't help you and you have a lot less protection than the usual UCAS system offers.
Ugh, the med school shouldn't have really done things like this, but it could work well for you.

When you interview, explain you are holding an unconditional offer and it could take you a bit of time to get released from it on results day (all of this is true). Confirm with them that you won't be able to use adjustment as you hold an unconditional.

If you get an offer, get them to confirm in writing they will hold this offer for you for a reasonable amount of time for you to get released (this should be at least 48 hours after you get results but honestly I would push for at least a week as some unis can be ver slow about releasing people).

On results day if you achieve the results you need for med school, stay in touch with them, make sure you keep them updated, let them know when you should be able to add their offer as a clearing choice.

Do be aware that you're basically attempting to side step the UCAS system, so if you run into any problems, UCAS probably won't help you and you have a lot less protection than the usual UCAS system offers.

The medical school did that for many students who have been rejected in the 1st instance and asked us to not decline our current offers till the result day when we get the required grades to use the adjustment, but I do not know that in my situation, I could not use the adjustment!
The medical school did that for many students who have been rejected in the 1st instance and asked us to not decline our current offers till the result day when we get the required grades to use the adjustment, but I do not know that in my situation, I could not use the adjustment!

Yeah, basically the med school have obviously massively under offered in the first instance and are now trying to circumvent the UCAS system a bit to sort out their mistake.

In your situation, I would go to the interview, as you have nothing to lose by doing that. At interview, just explain you're currently holding an unconditional offer so won't be able to use adjustment (if the med school insist you can, they are wrong- a lot of unis don't fully understand how adjustment works). I doubt you're the only one in this situation.

They should be able to propose a solution or else you can suggest that they hold your offer for a few days after results come out, giving you time to get released and add them as a clearing choice (the course won't be in clearing but they should be able to talk you through doing this).

The thing is as well, if they ask people for, say AAA or A*AA, some people may be holding firm offers asking for those grades anyway- so they wouldn't be able to use adjustment either. So you won't be the only one who may have issues.
Yeah, basically the med school have obviously massively under offered in the first instance and are now trying to circumvent the UCAS system a bit to sort out their mistake.

In your situation, I would go to the interview, as you have nothing to lose by doing that. At interview, just explain you're currently holding an unconditional offer so won't be able to use adjustment (if the med school insist you can, they are wrong- a lot of unis don't fully understand how adjustment works). I doubt you're the only one in this situation.

They should be able to propose a solution or else you can suggest that they hold your offer for a few days after results come out, giving you time to get released and add them as a clearing choice (the course won't be in clearing but they should be able to talk you through doing this).

The thing is as well, if they ask people for, say AAA or A*AA, some people may be holding firm offers asking for those grades anyway- so they wouldn't be able to use adjustment either. So you won't be the only one who may have issues.

Thank you for your advise, hope that everything going well and to be able to get the required grades
Thank you for your advise, hope that everything going well and to be able to get the required grades

Good luck.

I'd lover to hear how you get on if you don't mind updating me.
Good luck.

I'd lover to hear how you get on if you don't mind updating me.

Sure I will , Thanks
Original post by Fatima20000
Sure I will , Thanks

Hi
What happened?
Original post by Mustafa0605
Hi
What happened?

Fatima has been banned from tsr

Latest

Trending

Trending