What is meant by the term "1 mole of ammonia molecules"?

Watch
Kimistry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm having a hard term understanding the mole concept. I have to answer this question for some homework. I've got down that 1 mole is a quantity of matter defined as avogadro's number; 6.022 x 1023. So essentially this term is referring to 6.022 x 1023 ammonia molecules. As i'm having a hard time understanding it, is there any further explanation that I can provide for the question and also my own understanding?

Thanks, any help is so appreciated

Also, the 23 is supposed to be in superscript
username3089818
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kimistry)
I'm having a hard term understanding the mole concept. I have to answer this question for some homework. I've got down that 1 mole is a quantity of matter defined as avogadro's number; 6.022 x 1023. So essentially this term is referring to 6.022 x 1023 ammonia molecules. As i'm having a hard time understanding it, is there any further explanation that I can provide for the question and also my own understanding?

a mole refers to the number of particles in that substance and so one mol is the avogardo number.
dinomite
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One mole of ammonia contains as many elementary entities (i.e. electrons, atoms, molecules etc.) as there are atoms in 12g of carbon-12 (which like you said, is Avogadro's constant: 6.02 x 10^23). Don't know if there's much else to it, but hopefully another comment can shed some light
Kimistry
Rep:
?
Maybe i'm just overthinking it and thinking the answer needs more than what it is. Really appreciate the quick responses
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

6.022 x 10^23

To show superscipt.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

A mole is just a unit devised to express equal mounts of substances by particle, rather than by weight or volume. Basically a gram of hydrogen is not the same as a gram of ammonia. It's not important in daily life, but is important in reactions, because if you want a complete reaction you need amounts of chemicals that are equal by number of particles, not by weight or volume. This is my guess anyway, it's been a long time since I studied Chemistry.

Also if you can't write 1=6.022 x 10^23, write 6.022 E23. It means the same and you don't have to worry about ambiguity.
jason0597
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One mole is defined as the amount of substance containing as many elementary entities as there are atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12. Since the number of atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12 is 6.023 x 10^23 (which is Avogadro's number), we can derive another definition.
The definition of 1 mole is that if you have 1 mole of a substance in the palm of your hand, then the number of molecules in your hand is equal to Avogadro's number.
1 mole of ammonia contains 6.023 x 10^23 number of ammonia (NH3) molecules.
username2889812
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

https://www.thoughtco.com/definition...-number-604379
morc13
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

You've got it. The number of moles of ammonia molecules is just the actual number of ammonia molecules divided by 6.022x10^23. So if you have the number of moles of a molecule you can multiply that by 6.022x10^23 to find the actual number of molecules you have. You should also learn where the number 6.022x10^23 comes about but I don't think it's important for this discussion. (The number of carbon-12 atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12, this number just makes calculations easier when dealing with ridiculously huge amounts of particles which is what chemistry generally deals with. It's sort of like a link between vastly different scales)
Kimistry
Rep:
?
Wow this is such a great community! Thanks guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads