Personal statement for Chemistry

Watch this thread
Chloet5827
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm going to do Chemistry at University so I'm currently writing my personal statement, I was wondering if any one has any good tips etc? Thanks in advance
madmirrors
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Have you read any journal articles on areas of chemistry that you find interesting? Writing about chemistry topics you've read about will show you've researched your degree and have done wider reading.
Chloet5827
Rep:
(Original post by madmirrors)
Have you read any journal articles on areas of chemistry that you find interesting? Writing about chemistry topics you've read about will show you've researched your degree and have done wider reading.
Thanks for the good idea, I've been planning to do this. i was thinking of just reading an article from chemistry world. I have recently completed a MOOC so a free online course on Chemistry so I thought I could maybe pick something I learnt about and say i wanted to find out more about it in greater detail and go and do some research so i went and read an article on the subject, what do you think do you reckon it's a good way to link it in? so far for my personal statement i have the following to put in it...I competed in the Young Analyst Competition as part of a trio and we came 3rd out of approximately 25 colleges, I have work experience in a primary school which I thought i could link in at the end where I say where i would like my degree to take me which is to being a chemistry teacher, i have done various masterclasses (maths oddities, science and how the media influences peoples views on science and one on abstract thinking and developing skills like that), I attended a lecture on graphite, i went on a trip to a university where I learnt about and carried out Nuclear Magnetic spectroscopy, Ultra Violet spectroscopy, thin layer chromatography and infrared spectroscopy and i used all the equipment associated with these techniques and worked in the laboratories and analysed my results, also done gas chromatography. I went on a trip to a place where they make bitumen so i seen how batch processes work and chemistry in industry. I also did the Cambridge chemistry challenge and achieved a copper award. Do u have any suggestions as to which of these achievements to focus on and any to leave out?

sorry for so many questions and the long message
madmirrors
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chloet5827)
Thanks for the good idea, I've been planning to do this. i was thinking of just reading an article from chemistry world. I have recently completed a MOOC so a free online course on Chemistry so I thought I could maybe pick something I learnt about and say i wanted to find out more about it in greater detail and go and do some research so i went and read an article on the subject, what do you think do you reckon it's a good way to link it in? so far for my personal statement i have the following to put in it...I competed in the Young Analyst Competition as part of a trio and we came 3rd out of approximately 25 colleges, I have work experience in a primary school which I thought i could link in at the end where I say where i would like my degree to take me which is to being a chemistry teacher, i have done various masterclasses (maths oddities, science and how the media influences peoples views on science and one on abstract thinking and developing skills like that), I attended a lecture on graphite, i went on a trip to a university where I learnt about and carried out Nuclear Magnetic spectroscopy, Ultra Violet spectroscopy, thin layer chromatography and infrared spectroscopy and i used all the equipment associated with these techniques and worked in the laboratories and analysed my results, also done gas chromatography. I went on a trip to a place where they make bitumen so i seen how batch processes work and chemistry in industry. I also did the Cambridge chemistry challenge and achieved a copper award. Do u have any suggestions as to which of these achievements to focus on and any to leave out?

sorry for so many questions and the long message
Hey, that all sounds good - Firstly, open up with something scientific and discuss a topic you've learnt about that's covered in the degree like spectroscopy and say your own opinions on this and talk about your lab experience in carrying out the laboratory techniques and talk about other chemistry topics you enjoy and why. Then in the last few sentences you can discuss other achievements like you could say how competing in the Cambridge chemistry challenge has motivated you and talk about what you learnt from this and definitely talk about the skills you gained from work experience in a school and end it by saying how in the future you want to be a chemistry teacher. I think the trip is good to talk about but not the most important so focus on the others and you may have space to add it in. Good luck!
Chloet5827
Rep:
Hey, that all sounds good - Firstly, open up with something scientific and discuss a topic you've learnt about that's covered in the degree like spectroscopy and say your own opinions on this and talk about your lab experience in carrying out the laboratory techniques and talk about other chemistry topics you enjoy and why. Then in the last few sentences you can discuss other achievements like you could say how competing in the Cambridge chemistry challenge has motivated you and talk about what you learnt from this and definitely talk about the skills you gained from work experience in a school and end it by saying how in the future you want to be a chemistry teacher. I think the trip is good to talk about but not the most important so focus on the others and you may have space to add it in. Good luck!
Thank you so much! That’s really helpful advice! Have you wrote a personal statement before in Chemistry so are you at university now? Or in the same position as me?
madmirrors
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much! That’s really helpful advice! Have you wrote a personal statement before in Chemistry so are you at university now? Or in the same position as me?
You're welcome No, I've just graduated from University of Southampton in biology and I recently got accepted to do a masters in microbiology at University of Nottingham. I did chemistry as an A level and I wrote my postgraduate personal statement by myself. Good luck in your application to university! 😊
HWU StudentRep 1
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm going to do Chemistry at University so I'm currently writing my personal statement, I was wondering if any one has any good tips etc? Thanks in advance
Hello Chloe!

I am studying chemistry and had to do personal statement as well so I can definitely relate.
The thing that helped me immensly was watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3...ature=youtu.be

I am not sure why is it so hard to find it online, maybe because it is quite long, but it is definitely worth watching! I followed tips from that video for writing my statement and one of my lecturers even mentioned it afterwar I came into Uni, which means tips worked and it was memorable enough!

I hope it will help you in your writing!

Anamarija (3rd year Chemistry student)
Chloet5827
Rep:
(Original post by Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep)
Hello Chloe!

I am studying chemistry and had to do personal statement as well so I can definitely relate.
The thing that helped me immensly was watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3...ature=youtu.be

I am not sure why is it so hard to find it online, maybe because it is quite long, but it is definitely worth watching! I followed tips from that video for writing my statement and one of my lecturers even mentioned it afterwar I came into Uni, which means tips worked and it was memorable enough!

I hope it will help you in your writing!

Anamarija (3rd year Chemistry student)
Hello! Thanks for the link, I am definitely going to be watching this so thank you !
Chloet5827
Rep:
You're welcome No, I've just graduated from University of Southampton in biology and I recently got accepted to do a masters in microbiology at University of Nottingham. I did chemistry as an A level and I wrote my postgraduate personal statement by myself. Good luck in your application to university! 😊
Congratulations on graduating and good luck in your masters! And thank you!! ☺️
n.desilva
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I’m taking a gap year and studying chemistry at uni in 2019 As well as the advice already given I also wrote a little about stuff I’ve done that wasn’t related to chemistry but how their skills might help me for a chemistry degree. In the end I had to cut down so made everything brief and they then questioned me further during the interview which you’ll most likely have (I had 3 interviews but they all went fine)
Where are you thinking of applying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (21)
17.5%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
25.83%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (64)
53.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.33%

Watched Threads