The Student Room Group

A levels should be put back to the standard they were in the 1950s

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Not really most people would agree who were in the top 10.20 or 30 from a pool if about ten larger. Are you suggesting Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE , Durham, Bristol Warwick ets arent top unis?

aside from oxbridge, so what if the rest u stated are top unis? you have to look at the teaching quality.

The lecturer from an EU country strolls into English Legal System law class at Kings College, gives a biased and largely nonsensical lecture, realizes her time is up and then leaves the hall. In the exams that follow, students are asked if Judges make law. Students are stumped because it wasn't covered in the lectures. I can give you loads of either examples and they're all available online in the form of news articles and revelations by current students on facebook and other forums. But you know how you are. I can give you tons of evidence but nothing I provide will ever appease you.

Original post by Tommie12
This is slightly irrelevant but could someone give some advice on how to succeed at A-level? as in their step by step success story? Workload and achievement?

reduce the time you spend on this forum gradually and you will do well for the A-levels. there have been many forum members here with a million gem stones and thousands of posts contributed who went on to fail the A-levels and then finally woke up and learnt their lesson. They've now either disappeared from this forum or logged in on that rare occasion.

Original post by TheMindGarage
As much as I disagree with the OP, I think some valid points have been raised. Today's A-levels are aimed at a lot of people (probably too many to be completely honest). The A* grade is no longer sufficient to differentiate between top pupils - more courses at top unis are now using admissions tests.

The real problem is that any A-level alternatives are all looked down upon so people feel compelled to do A-levels.

A-levels is not meant for everyone. The honest ones who know that studying isn't for them will go on to do apprenticeships. They will then work in the real world and pick up loads of skills. They will mature faster and perhaps work their way up to being business owners and the like. It's not an overnight project but they are willing to invest the time and effort into achieving their goal.
Original post by trafalgar321
The point of today's A levels is to stop people from feeling too bad.

Actually, the priority of today's A-levels is to provide rigorous and respected qualifications. The reformed A-levels have been designed to raise standards - they are linear with refreshed syllabus content. The present A-levels also curtail coursework's weighting in the final grade as well. Anyway, even if the A-levels may not be as demanding now as they were before, universities can still filter students through interviews and admission tests. If people really aren't happy with the standards of A-level, then there's always the IB (with virtually no grade inflation).

However, I can see why some may agree with your sentiment, as 4% of school leavers went to university in the early 1960s, that has increased over tenfold since then.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending