Anonymous061299
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone!
I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me a little bit about the course? I am due to start next month but switched from health to science so don't know a great deal about the ratio of bio:chem:physics:maths/ how it's assessed/ the intensity/ if I should be doing any prep? TIA!
username3871102
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous061299)
Hi everyone!
I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me a little bit about the course? I am due to start next month but switched from health to science so don't know a great deal about the ratio of bio:chem:physics:maths/ how it's assessed/ the intensity/ if I should be doing any prep? TIA!
Normally you only do 3 out of Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics in which you may do 7 Units, 6 and 6 which are 3 credits each and 1 reseach unit in 1 of the 3 chosen subjects which is another 3 credits. Its usually assessed by assignments and alot of them, also presentations and tests aswell sometimes. Start doing prep as soons as possible starting from basic GCSE level and working up, yes when you start the course most of it you may have already learned but this works in your favour. All colleges are different though.
TomNelson1805
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ElNiño)
Normally you only do 3 out of Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics in which you do 9 Units, 8 and 8 which are 3 credits each and 1 reseach unit in 1 of the 3 chosen subjects which is another 3 credits. Its usually assessed by assignments and alot of them, also presentations and tests aswell sometimes. Start doing prep as soons as possible starting from basic GCSE level and working up, yes when you start the course most of it you may have already learned but this works in your favour.
How long ago was this? I finished mine last year and did Biology, Additional biology, Physics and sociolgy for a total of 15 units at level 3 and study skills, english and maths at level 2. This seems to be the standard considering every degree's entry requirements require the 15 units? If you want to prep begin by practising your grammar and punctuation as well as citating and referencing, shouldn't take too long but if you want distinctions it needs to be flawless. Good luck!
username3871102
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TomNelson1805)
How long ago was this? I finished mine last year and did Biology, Additional biology, Physics and sociolgy for a total of 15 units at level 3 and study skills, english and maths at level 2. This seems to be the standard considering every degree's entry requirements require the 15 units? If you want to prep begin by practising your grammar and punctuation as well as citating and referencing, shouldn't take too long but if you want distinctions it needs to be flawless. Good luck!
Whoops its 7 bio, 6 maths and 6 chem my bad abit tired I'm afraid should of double checked. I havn't started mine yet but luckily the college I'm planning on attending gives alot of detail compared to other colleges that seem to give next to none,
R3negade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My science course was as follows:

Biology - 18 credits, 3 of which are not graded.
Chemistry - 18 credits, 3 of which are not graded.
Maths - 9 credits.
Physics - 9 credits, 3 of which are not graded.
Independent study - 6 credits.

Basically, 45 credits that count with your uni application. The study and ungraded credits were pass or fail.

All of the subject modules consisted of coursework that was a report or essay and usually a small test. The maths had no coursework and was tested at the end of each module.

The course was manageable, but due to the structure, it was not uncommon to be in the process of writing three reports whilst swotting for the tests whilst doing work on the independent study. It is certainly good practice for university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
12.96%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
14.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
38.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
18.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed