The Student Room Group

Seize the Grades! CinnamonSmol's Last Grasp (GYG)

:dancing2:Welcome to CinnamonSmol's journey through Year 13:dancing2:

Hi all, thanks for joining me on my Year 13 journey :smile: In case you haven't seen my previous GYG, here's some info!
[2017-2018 GYG: ]"][url=""[url"]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=1516#"]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=1516#]

Subjects:
-English Literature and Language
-Graphic Design
-History
(+EPQ)

For my mocks I managed to get A*AC and though I didn't receive the grade I needed for straight A/A* predictions, that's not going to stop me from trying to get A*AA by this time next year! It's going to take a lot of effort and work from my part but if I managed to go from an E to a C within a few months, I'm sure I can work to get from a C to an A within a year:biggrin:

A personal message
I honestly felt that my GYG journey last year was so motivating, it helped me rant, destress and plan out my revision tactics and I'm hoping that this year, as I engage more with other GYGers, it will be even more useful! I'm also so thankful for the support that I was given last year, so if anyone reading this remembers my last thread, welcome back and thank you for staying, hopefully this year I'll be less angsty:colondollar: This year is definitely going to be much more colourful and fun, now that I know how to actual format a paragraph properly on TSR, so please sit back, stay tuned and enjoy the show :wink:

NOTE: Feel free to post below if you want to be tagged!

Important updates:

Spoiler

Marks from tests

Spoiler

Useful threads:

Spoiler

Books I've read this year:

Spoiler

Tag list

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Quote list :woo:
[noparse]
SomMC1
x

honeybee1
x

CoffeeAndPolitics
x

une rock
x

clouddbubbles
x

nyxnko_
x

lea.bean
x

daytonic
x

Tolgarda
x

S_ophiiie
x

dinomite
x

Laurawatt
x

t.64
x

Toastiekid
x

Ariel2611
x

LDS16
x

Hiro2468
x

barror1
x
[/noparse]
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CinnamonSmol

:dancing2:Welcome to CinnamoSmol's journey through Year 13

:dancing2:

Hi all, thanks for joining me on my Year 13 journey :smile: In case you haven't seen my previous GYG, here's some info!
[2017-2018 GYG: "]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=1516#]

Subjects:
-English Literature and Language
-History
-Graphic Design

TBC

Wow that's such a variety of subjects, what are your plans after year 13 :tongue: :five:
Good luck my man, glad you finally starting a new GYG :biggrin:
(ty for the first tag <3)
I fully feel your comeback with the E to C grade. I went from a level 2 (which is probably a E or F) in chemistry to a level 7 (A*). That took me from XMas till the end of years and I'm getting A* prediction for that. I know what it's like man. I support you
What are you hoping for predictions, as we all know that's realllly important!
Reply 4
Ah you've started a new one too!! :five:
Good luck!!
Original post by BR260799
Wow that's such a variety of subjects, what are your plans after year 13 :tongue: :five:

Yup, Im not your typical STEM TSRian, so hopefully this should be interesting for y'all to watch :colone: I've decided that I definitely want to go to Uni of Birmingham to study joint honours English, I love the university's vibes and graduate prospects but whether I do English + Creative Writing or English and Classical Literature and Civilisation, im not sure yet:tongue: ...Im still considering a gap year, though I dont know if im just romanticising the idea of spending a year of doing what I want/getting hella rich oops :colondollar: what year/level are you in and what do you take?
Original post by SomMC1
Good luck my man, glad you finally starting a new GYG :biggrin:
(ty for the first tag <3)
I fully feel your comeback with the E to C grade. I went from a level 2 (which is probably a E or F) in chemistry to a level 7 (A*). That took me from XMas till the end of years and I'm getting A* prediction for that. I know what it's like man. I support you
What are you hoping for predictions, as we all know that's realllly important!

(PRSOM) ...quick disclaimer that im a gal, just thought i'd let you know in case you weren't the using the word man as just a general term:colondollar: (a lot of cinnamon smols are male tho so I dont blame you!:p:D)

Wow E to A* I definitely wouldn't mind that happening to me at a-level, that's actually amazing so well done, especially because its Chemistry! (I managed to go from e to a* at gcse but I feel like that doesn't really count since it was gcse level sooo) but like yeah props to us for that development, I definitely think its more satisfying when you get a good grade from coming a long way, rather than getting consistent a*s that you expect nothing less:tongue:

Though I havent spoken to my English teachers (one of them -the one who liked me more lol- has left so I guess i wont speak to her ever again) i got a pretty solid A*, I know that the english department at my college is very tight when predicting A*s but im hoping thats enough to get me one, my graphics teacher told me she'll predict me an A and then for history they said that they'll predict people a grade higher than their mock grade if they show that they've done loads of research for our coursework, so if I do well, a B.
In an ideal world I would have liked A*AA but maybe its better that i wont get predicted that, so I could be predicted between A*AB-AAC, depending on how nice my teachers feel, which is still good! (Hopefully my EPQ stays at an A too!)
Original post by nyxnko_
Ah you've started a new one too!! :five:
Good luck!!

thank you! is it weird that im kind of excited to do this?:biggrin:
Reply 8
Good luck @CinnamonSmol! Could you kindly add me to the QFA list for future updates? :smile:
Yup, Im not your typical STEM TSRian, so hopefully this should be interesting for y'all to watch :colone: I've decided that I definitely want to go to Uni of Birmingham to study joint honours English, I love the university's vibes and graduate prospects but whether I do English + Creative Writing or English and Classical Literature and Civilisation, im not sure yet:tongue: ...Im still considering a gap year, though I dont know if im just romanticising the idea of spending a year of doing what I want/getting hella rich oops :colondollar: what year/level are you in and what do you take?

Nice i was planning on doing an English degree, but i took Law at Lancaster and I'm just entering my second year - but at A Level i did Business, Law and Economics and I did English a few years before that :tongue:
(PRSOM) ...quick disclaimer that im a gal, just thought i'd let you know in case you weren't the using the word man as just a general term:colondollar: (a lot of cinnamon smols are male tho so I dont blame you!:p:D)

Wow E to A* I definitely wouldn't mind that happening to me at a-level, that's actually amazing so well done, especially because its Chemistry! (I managed to go from e to a* at gcse but I feel like that doesn't really count since it was gcse level sooo) but like yeah props to us for that development, I definitely think its more satisfying when you get a good grade from coming a long way, rather than getting consistent a*s that you expect nothing less:tongue:

Though I havent spoken to my English teachers (one of them -the one who liked me more lol- has left so I guess i wont speak to her ever again) i got a pretty solid A*, I know that the english department at my college is very tight when predicting A*s but im hoping thats enough to get me one, my graphics teacher told me she'll predict me an A and then for history they said that they'll predict people a grade higher than their mock grade if they show that they've done loads of research for our coursework, so if I do well, a B.
In an ideal world I would have liked A*AA but maybe its better that i wont get predicted that, so I could be predicted between A*AB-AAC, depending on how nice my teachers feel, which is still good! (Hopefully my EPQ stays at an A too!)

Hahah, I actually wasn't isnt it as a general term. I had no idea you're a 'gal'. How was I suppose to know ffs :tongue:
I feel like I'm doing these massive comebacks last minute - I did a B/C to A* in biology and a supposed C by my history teacher to an A at gcse. I didnt manage to do an E -> A* journey at gcse tho:tongue: I was saving that long and painful and super stressful journey till my IB/A levels :biggrin:
That is true - it is satisfying but also very scary and not knowing how you'll do and feeling like every single unit test could definitely define your predicted. I knew that if I get a 5 (equivalent of a B) in any of my chemistry tests from January then I would not get an A* prediction. Luckily overcame that somehow :biggrin:

Ahhhh it's history which is messing your prediction up, damn... but in theory, let's say you do super well in any unit tests in history, you do your homeworks on As consistently, active in class and do everything perfectly. Then in theory, your history teacher could predict you an A in like november/december time right?

When exactly are you hoping to send off your application? Maybe if you wait enough, then my 'theory' could end up happening.

For Birmingham Uni you'd be well ahead of the min requirement for the BA English course though, so perhaps the B prediction shouldnt be something you are too stressed about :tongue:

Ps: I had no idea what 'PRSOM' was so I had to google it, and well I'm trying to rep every one of your posts/replies but cant, so i'm letting you know I'm PRSOMing you too :biggrin:
Best of luck! Excited to see your year 13 journey :biggrin:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Good luck @CinnamonSmol! Could you kindly add me to the QFA list for future updates? :smile:

Thank you!:biggrin: I have no clue what QFA stands for but im guessing its do with the tag list, in that case, done!:h:
Good luck! :biggrin: would love to be added to the tag list :h:

Spoiler

Original post by BR260799
Nice i was planning on doing an English degree, but i took Law at Lancaster and I'm just entering my second year - but at A Level i did Business, Law and Economics and I did English a few years before that :tongue:

oooh what prompted you to do law? Im becoming drawn to it but for the wrong reasons -monehhhh:headbang:
oooh what prompted you to do law? Im becoming drawn to it but for the wrong reasons -monehhhh:headbang:

I did it for A Level and I just really enjoyed learning the cases and then I became really interested in criminal law - I think it’s just the fact that I’m able to argue my view on factual evidence
Reply 16
Thank you!:biggrin: I have no clue what QFA stands for but im guessing its do with the tag list, in that case, done!:h:

QFA stands for Quote for Attention and it's to do with the tag list. :smile:
Original post by SomMC1
Hahah, I actually wasn't isnt it as a general term. I had no idea you're a 'gal'. How was I suppose to know ffs :tongue:
I feel like I'm doing these massive comebacks last minute - I did a B/C to A* in biology and a supposed C by my history teacher to an A at gcse. I didnt manage to do an E -> A* journey at gcse tho:tongue: I was saving that long and painful and super stressful journey till my IB/A levels :biggrin:
That is true - it is satisfying but also very scary and not knowing how you'll do and feeling like every single unit test could definitely define your predicted. I knew that if I get a 5 (equivalent of a B) in any of my chemistry tests from January then I would not get an A* prediction. Luckily overcame that somehow :biggrin:

Ahhhh it's history which is messing your prediction up, damn... but in theory, let's say you do super well in any unit tests in history, you do your homeworks on As consistently, active in class and do everything perfectly. Then in theory, your history teacher could predict you an A in like november/december time right?

When exactly are you hoping to send off your application? Maybe if you wait enough, then my 'theory' could end up happening.

For Birmingham Uni you'd be well ahead of the min requirement for the BA English course though, so perhaps the B prediction shouldnt be something you are too stressed about :tongue:

Ps: I had no idea what 'PRSOM' was so I had to google it, and well I'm trying to rep every one of your posts/replies but cant, so i'm letting you know I'm PRSOMing you too :biggrin:

[PRSOM=Please rate some other members -or something like that:smile:]

we love a good comeback!:biggrin: I love the feeling of proving people wrong, you though I was bad at this subject? THINK AGAIN!!:colone: and of course you had to save you E to A* journey till Alevel/IB, you can't show off all your tricks at once :tongue: what do you think helped you the most do well?

Yeah History is the subject stopping me from straight A/A* predictions -the Nazi Germany side of the course in particular. I received a B on my Stuart Britain paper and D in NG so it evened out to a C:s-smilie: the thing is, I cant use class essays because this year alone my class had 5 different teachers so we were constantly behind, hardly had tests, so the tests that we did have a lot of us got Ds and Es, C's on a very very good day. The teacher who's head of the history faculty is VERY stubborn and is very stressed because of the turnover of history and politics teachers at our college so I think begging for an A is out of the question:angry: hopefully if I work hard enough in my coursework throughout the first few months your theory could come true (if it does then I'll rep you until the day I forget my login details to this site:biggrin:)

I think I really want to go to Birmingham, although (this was like 20 minutes ago, so it could just be a pipe dream) Im starting to think about Durham, though they want A*AA, so if they accept me despite not reaching the grade requirements, the fact that I take an art based subject, Graphic Design, may put them off me, time will tell though:redface:

sorry if I asked you already in the Year12/13 SSSG thread (so many replies its hard to keep track:colondollar:) but whats your plans after this year?
Original post by honeybee1
Best of luck! Excited to see your year 13 journey :biggrin:

Thank you! that means so much:h:
Original post by une rock
Good luck! :biggrin: would love to be added to the tag list :h:

Spoiler

added:tongue: and thanks! I had no clue that the advanced button in the corner meant you could change the colour and font of text oops!:biggrin: im such a granny when it comes to technology:colondollar: feel free to tag me in ur GYG! I definitely want to interact more with others this year:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest