The Student Room Group

Working at McDonald's rant (long)

ok so today was my first day at the new job

I wasn't exactly nervous and the day wasn't horrible but i just need to rant about what happened

so I come in and the managers all have very strong accents (I'm a minority myself so this isn't like me being racist or whatever)

their accents are very hard to understand and take time getting used to and since they were very dismissive towards me I didn't know what to do until another employee helped me out (the other employees were really useful to me even though my instructions were to stay with one man who was supposed to guide me through the day even though he did literally nothing to help me)

I haven't received any training, didn't know the layout of the kitchen area or anything and had never previously had any job before which the management knew about but I felt like they left me stranded (the shop wasn't even busy) then get mad at me for being uncertain with where to go even tho they provided no direction/instructions.

I had not been given a task for shift and when I asked where to go, the manager who is supposed to be helping me was very fussy and unhappy for me asking

I was assigned the dining room and when I did something wrong (even though I copied exactly what I was shown by my supervisor, apparently her method was wrong) he and some other random old employees (who hadn't even met me yet might I add) started complaining saying that "I ask too many questions"

ironically I didn't even ask them anything and I hadn't asked for help the entire day
other employees had commended me on my quick learning and said I was a good worker
but this ONE time that I messed up, even though it was technically my supervisors fault, they act like I'm an idiot

keep in mind they weren't even working at that point, they were literally talking in the middle of the kitchen not doing anything, but had the audacity to call me a **** worker while I was busting my ass, as if when they first started they were professionals

anyway, rant over.
just wanted to vent
reply if you want

Scroll to see replies

Damn... remind me not to work for McDonald's
Original post by Dobby's Phoenix
Damn... remind me not to work for McDonald's

my friend works in another franchise and they're great
mine just suck
I stopped reading when you put “I’m a minority myself, so this Isn’t like me being racist or whatever”

I can’t take people seriously who write things like that.
Original post by Andrew97
I stopped reading when you put “I’m a minority myself, so this Isn’t like me being racist or whatever”

I skimmed over that bit... yeah what an incredibly imbecilic comment.
Reply 5
chill out guys - he/she was just pointing out that his reference to a thick hard to understand accent - wasn't meant to be racial - just that it made it that much harder to understand what he/she was supposed to be doing

I worked at McDonalds for 3 years - all I can say is good luck - there are soooooooooooooooooo many totally annoying, frustrating, and upsetting things involved in working there. I survived it but was pretty miserable most of the time at that job.
(edited 5 years ago)

well when everyone online wants to cry about "you're a racist" I feel the need to clarify that I ain't hating them because they're foreign, being a foreigner myself because a lot of people would presume that

im not begging you in particular to read it anyway so if you don't want to then go ahead irdc but I know why I put that there and if you don't like it, tough
Original post by TOP_20
chill out guys - he/she was just pointing out that his reference to a thick hard to understand accent - wasn't meant to be racial - just that it made it that much harder to understand what he/she was supposed to be doing

I worked at McDonalds for 3 years - all I can say is good luck - there are soooooooooooooooooo many totally annoying, frustrating, and upsetting things involved in working there. I survived it but was pretty miserable most of the time at that job.

thank you
I skimmed over that bit... yeah what an incredibly imbecilic comment.

um have you ever been on the internet? people accuse you of racism for everything and would disregard everything I say over that comment thinking that I'm only mad because they're foreign

i don't see how that bothered you guys. im not saying I CANT be racist because I'm a minority im saying that I don't automatically hate them for their status because I'm literally a foreigner too

I swear some of you are such snowflakes to be pressed over something so minor, just as bad as the people who cry "racist" over everything🙄 everybody wants to be offended/annoyed over minor **** these days I guess
Original post by Schoolquestions
well when everyone online wants to cry about "you're a racist" I feel the need to clarify that I ain't hating them because they're foreign, being a foreigner myself because a lot of people would presume that

im not begging you in particular to read it anyway so if you don't want to then go ahead irdc but I know why I put that there and if you don't like it, tough

Nobody would call you a racist for finding it difficult to understand an accent. If they did I would defend you, it’s a thing that happens. Nobody understands perfectly every accent, no biggie.
Nobody would call you a racist for finding it difficult to understand an accent. If they did I would defend you, it’s a thing that happens. Nobody understands perfectly every accent, no biggie.

well in my past experience online people are idiots and everyone loves to play victim. I once said something completely inoffensive about people (from my own country) and got **** for it and had to reply to some people individually to reiterate that I was from said country. I'd rather just make it clear from the get go.
Ohhhh, I would never work for McDonald's again. Source: worked in four different f***ing restaurants.

First one when I was 16. Started talking to a guy who also worked there and the store manager kept asking me awfully inappropriate questions. He had the audacity to spread a rumour across the staff that we were f***ing. He acted like a creep towards all of the young staff, and once he disliked you, which was usually for the stupidest of reasons, he'd try and make your work life even more of a living hell. Numpty.

Second, on my first day I met a particular shift manager that held a grudge against me. All because I'm hard of hearing, and I asked him to repeat what he'd said because I didn't /hear/ what he'd said. He then took it as me not understanding his accent, which was quite thick, but I genuinely didn't hear him. After that he picked on me all I could, told me everything I was doing was wrong (even though I was probably the fastest front staff with the least complaints), and started making nasty comments about my weight, when at the time, I was relatively slim.

Third and fourth stores were in London. I have never met so many rude customers, or rude staff for that matter. Ended up quitting one after three days because of how appalling the management were.

Honestly, the management are controlling ****s and some of the staff are so far up said management's a*** it is unbelievable. I would rather be struggling than work for them again.
Original post by Perceval
Ohhhh, I would never work for McDonald's again. Source: worked in four different f***ing restaurants.

First one when I was 16. Started talking to a guy who also worked there and the store manager kept asking me awfully inappropriate questions. He had the audacity to spread a rumour across the staff that we were f***ing. He acted like a creep towards all of the young staff, and once he disliked you, which was usually for the stupidest of reasons, he'd try and make your work life even more of a living hell. Numpty.

Second, on my first day I met a particular shift manager that held a grudge against me. All because I'm hard of hearing, and I asked him to repeat what he'd said because I didn't /hear/ what he'd said. He then took it as me not understanding his accent, which was quite thick, but I genuinely didn't hear him. After that he picked on me all I could, told me everything I was doing was wrong (even though I was probably the fastest front staff with the least complaints), and started making nasty comments about my weight, when at the time, I was relatively slim.

Third and fourth stores were in London. I have never met so many rude customers, or rude staff for that matter. Ended up quitting one after three days because of how appalling the management were.

Honestly, the management are controlling ****s and some of the staff are so far up said management's a*** it is unbelievable. I would rather be struggling than work for them again.

damn that sounds tough
McDonald's seems like a hit or miss at this point
I'll give it a second go tomorrow hopefully it improves

quick question:
if you only work for 3 days do you still get paid? I'm just wondering because I heard if you work less than a week you may end up unpaid?
OMDS, i worked in Mcdonalds last year and have EXPERIENCED the EXACT SAME THING. You will get used to things evenatually. Just wait and KEP IT COOL>
damn that sounds tough
McDonald's seems like a hit or miss at this point
I'll give it a second go tomorrow hopefully it improves

quick question:
if you only work for 3 days do you still get paid? I'm just wondering because I heard if you work less than a week you may end up unpaid?

I wasn't paid because they never sorted my clock ins, but I was too fed up with them to go in. So, it all depends whether or not you've clocked in, and if they have your bank details (otherwise they give it to you in a cheque).
Original post by Perceval
I wasn't paid because they never sorted my clock ins, but I was too fed up with them to go in. So, it all depends whether or not you've clocked in, and if they have your bank details (otherwise they give it to you in a cheque).

ok I clocked in and they have my bank details so that's good.
um have you ever been on the internet? people accuse you of racism for everything and would disregard everything I say over that comment thinking that I'm only mad because they're foreign

i don't see how that bothered you guys. im not saying I CANT be racist because I'm a minority im saying that I don't automatically hate them for their status because I'm literally a foreigner too

I swear some of you are such snowflakes to be pressed over something so minor, just as bad as the people who cry "racist" over everything🙄 everybody wants to be offended/annoyed over minor **** these days I guess

Your anger at my disapproval of your comment says a lot more about you than it does me.
ok so today was my first day at the new job

I wasn't exactly nervous and the day wasn't horrible but i just need to rant about what happened

so I come in and the managers all have very strong accents (I'm a minority myself so this isn't like me being racist or whatever)

their accents are very hard to understand and take time getting used to and since they were very dismissive towards me I didn't know what to do until another employee helped me out (the other employees were really useful to me even though my instructions were to stay with one man who was supposed to guide me through the day even though he did literally nothing to help me)

I haven't received any training, didn't know the layout of the kitchen area or anything and had never previously had any job before which the management knew about but I felt like they left me stranded (the shop wasn't even busy) then get mad at me for being uncertain with where to go even tho they provided no direction/instructions.

I had not been given a task for shift and when I asked where to go, the manager who is supposed to be helping me was very fussy and unhappy for me asking

I was assigned the dining room and when I did something wrong (even though I copied exactly what I was shown by my supervisor, apparently her method was wrong) he and some other random old employees (who hadn't even met me yet might I add) started complaining saying that "I ask too many questions"

ironically I didn't even ask them anything and I hadn't asked for help the entire day
other employees had commended me on my quick learning and said I was a good worker
but this ONE time that I messed up, even though it was technically my supervisors fault, they act like I'm an idiot

keep in mind they weren't even working at that point, they were literally talking in the middle of the kitchen not doing anything, but had the audacity to call me a **** worker while I was busting my ass, as if when they first started they were professionals

anyway, rant over.
just wanted to vent
reply if you want

Awwww it's okay I totally get it how Ur feeling . Anyway good luck withe rest of Ur time there . Anyway how old r u I hope I aren't 16
Your anger at my disapproval of your comment says a lot more about you than it does me.

yh as if I'd be happy at being called "imbecellic"
just pissed that you couldn't take a second to try and understand why I would do it instead of simply labelling it as dumb

but hey I guess the fact that you couldn't do that says a lot about you too 😪
Original post by Bobo344
Awwww it's okay I totally get it how Ur feeling . Anyway good luck withe rest of Ur time there . Anyway how old r u I hope I aren't 16

lol I am

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending