username4199932
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have to choose these soon and need some help. I want to go into something science related but don’t think I’ll be able to do A level sciences. My sixth form offers something called BTEC Biomedical Science Extended Diploma (Level 3). What can I get into with this?
GentleGalaxy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would be advisable to look around at potential universities and see whether or not they’d take that qualification. Lots do take alternatives to A Levels now but some are still strict on what does and doesn’t get you in, so it’s worth looking at any you’d be interested in. If you’re looking at an apprenticeship route then I’d suggest doing the same.

That being said, I’d consider your options quite carefully. If you think you’ll struggle with A level science you should start thinking about whether you’d be able to do a uni degree or work related to science, as that’ll be quite a bit harder!
username4199932
Rep:
?
(Original post by GentleGalaxy)
It would be advisable to look around at potential universities and see whether or not they’d take that qualification. Lots do take alternatives to A Levels now but some are still strict on what does and doesn’t get you in, so it’s worth looking at any you’d be interested in. If you’re looking at an apprenticeship route then I’d suggest doing the same.

That being said, I’d consider your options quite carefully. If you think you’ll struggle with A level science you should start thinking about whether you’d be able to do a uni degree or work related to science, as that’ll be quite a bit harder!
When I said I don’t think I’ll be able to do A level sciences, it’s because of my maths ability. I can only get a 5 in maths max and to do A level sciences, you need a 6 in maths and science. The science one is achievable but the maths isn’t.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HaEclipse)
I have to choose these soon and need some help. I want to go into something science related but don’t think I’ll be able to do A level sciences. My sixth form offers something called BTEC Biomedical Science Extended Diploma (Level 3). What can I get into with this?
This is a form of btec applied science and is accepted by nearly all universities. However some require A level Chemistry or biology in addition. Check the indiviual course your looking for.
username4199932
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
This is a form of btec applied science and is accepted by nearly all universities. However some require A level Chemistry or biology in addition. Check the indiviual course your looking for.
Ahh I see. I need help with what course. The main subject of this is sort of what science job I should aim for. Once I have a goal, I’ll work towards it
username4199932
Rep:
?
Would I be able to get into Biochemistry with this?
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From a quick search some will require Chemistry A level in addition to the BTEC but most won't. The best universities I can see that would accept the BTEC Extended Diploma alone are: Surrey, Exeter, York, Bath and Sussex. Hope this helps.
username4199932
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
From a quick search some will require Chemistry A level in addition to the BTEC but most won't. The best universities I can see that would accept the BTEC Extended Diploma alone are: Surrey, Exeter, York, Bath and Sussex. Hope this helps.
Thanks man, this will definitely help. I guess I’m gonna do biomedical science in September and work towards one of the unis you listed.
username4199932
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
Which Uni would you say is the best out of the ones you listed?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads